Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anyone else P.O.'d that commentaries for RATATOUILLE and CARS are only on high def?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,245 posts

Posted November 15 2007 - 12:32 AM

This is tantamount to discrimination. We, who have built the Disney DVD home video empire, are now being told we HAVE to invest in high def in order to get the very supplements that used to be included on all Pixar SD discs until CARS. I'm really angry. I can't afford HD yet - could be years.

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted November 15 2007 - 12:38 AM

Count me in!

I have not bought either title for this reason. It's truly a shame, but I don't see why I should be expected to pay the same price for these releases as I have for previous releases that were loaded to the brim with extras including a commentary track.

If they don't want to include extras, then sell the DVD for $9.99.

I have listened to every Pixar commentary and they have all been incredibly enjoyable. Without a doubt, each an every one has improved my enjoyment of the film. Posted Image

As for HD, I'm also a long way from converting. I'm not about to dump money into either format until the dust has settled.

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,301 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 15 2007 - 02:29 AM

Yeah, it sucks but that's the way it goes. I get pissed off by tons of insignifacnt stuff but a commentary isn't one of them.

If anyone has to hear the commentary right now, buy a Blu Ray player or a PS3. If you're not ready or worried about one format 'losing' or don't want to pay the prices (and I consider myself to be in all of those camps), it'll still be available when they are. If it goes OOP, Disney will announce it and you'll have plenty of time to buy the disc and wait until you get a player.

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,022 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 15 2007 - 03:44 AM

yup. I wont be buying Ratatouie new for that reason. Hi-Def gets the documentaries and that as well. So screw 'em. this will show up previously viewed at the vid stores and such for $5-$10 bucks, I'll pick it up then.

Cars just sucked though, I wouldn't pick it up period, regardless of features.

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted November 15 2007 - 03:57 AM

Ratatouille's DVD was $14 when I bought it (Best Buy), which is in line with other "low content" releases.

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted November 15 2007 - 04:18 AM

Speaking as an HD-DVD owner I have to say that this does feel a lot like discrimination. I can't purchase these titles on Blu-ray without purchasing an additional high-def deck -- which I *really* don't want to do. The SD-DVD Pixar discs look *fantastic* upscaled; so I really don't feel the need to purchase these discs on Blu-ray -- I'm satisfied with the A/V presentation of the movies. But I *would* really like at least the commentary tracks.

But if it means having to upgrade to Blu-ray at this point, then I can live w/o the commentaries for the time being.
Joseph
---------------

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted November 15 2007 - 04:50 AM

I don't think it is any different than the late 80's or early 90's when laserdiscs had commentaries and VHS didn't.

They are trying to give viewers a reason to upgrade, and to justify the higher price for a next gen disc.

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted November 15 2007 - 06:13 AM

I don't think it is any different than the late 80's or early 90's when laserdiscs had commentaries and VHS didn't.

It's significantly different than that. Laserdisc was a new format that offered new features like commentary tracks.

What they are doing now is taking features away from the current format in a weak attempt to force people to change formats. We have been given commentary tracks on every Pixar film prior to Cars and now they have suddenly pulled them in order to sell their new format.

Well it's not going to work on me Disney. If I want to see this film again in the near future, I'll find someone to borrow it from.

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted November 15 2007 - 06:44 AM

Unfortunately, that's how it works, upsetting I can understand, but recognizing that it's the studio's goal to get you to buy in the new format, therefore provide all the stops and whistles on that format is predictable. The consumer pays for it on both ends of the spectrum and frankly other issues along with this one is starting to get bothersome.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,727 posts

Posted November 15 2007 - 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
This is tantamount to discrimination. We, who have built the Disney DVD home video empire, are now being told we HAVE to invest in high def in order to get the very supplements that used to be included on all Pixar SD discs until CARS. I'm really angry. I can't afford HD yet - could be years.

I think this is more of a reason to rebuy a title most HT enthusiasts own(Cars), or to make a deciding factor toward Blu-ray if you were considering the upgrade.

I agree it isn't fair, but from their standpoint(besides excellent picture, and sound) they need all the bells and whistles they can get to attract potential buyers. It's a bitter format war, and the tactics are getting nasty!

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted November 15 2007 - 01:43 PM

Realizing the mess two competing hi def formats would give us I did what every desperate individual ends up with - two players in order to get the most exposure. I am glad I did because with the now more affordable 1080 pjs just out I AM very tempted - HD looks great on a big screen, my only reason for bothering in the first place or I would still be content with SD releases.

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted November 15 2007 - 04:50 PM

It makes me want to avoid buying HD even more, because they are treating the customers like garbage. The worst was the remastered Road Warrior which they refused to release on standard DVD (remastered).

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 02:09 AM

How much other stuff is on the discs? As I was commenting on another thread in the HD area, I suspect that studios might still be willing to stuff 9GB onto a disc, but they won't necessarily go for the second disc any more, figuring that the audience for that is migrating to the HD formats.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 05:49 AM

The tactics are definitely cheap. I would be fine with extra content on the hi-def releases, but don't short-change 90+% of the home video market in the process of trying to get them to convert. Even if the commentaries were a factor in the upgrade decision, it would take a lot of them to build up the desire to a breaking point. By that time, the prices of players and discs will be down, and hopefully the format war will be over. Those are the big reasons people are hesitant to switch over.

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Brian D H

Brian D H

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Grate
Unfortunately, that's how it works, upsetting I can understand, but recognizing that it's the studio's goal to get you to buy in the new format, therefore provide all the stops and whistles on that format is predictable. The consumer pays for it on both ends of the spectrum and frankly other issues along with this one is starting to get bothersome.

Agreed, but that's not how it SHOULD work.

Adding "all the stops and whistles" to the new format? Check.
Taking features away from standard DVDs? Heck, NO!

HD-DVD and BluRay have plenty of extra space to add every extra they can think up. Where's the creativity? Why aren't they coming up with some great new features that Standard DVD could never hope to equal? When they moved from VHS to DVD they came up with deleted scenes, bloopers, commentaries, trailers, info pop-ups, easter eggs, etc. Now they are attempting to move us onto high-def and the best they can do is port over the same extras while removing them from our Standard DVDs? Why not try seamless branching (and get it to work this time)? How about PIP or animated commentaries that interact with us and/or the content?

Simply put; they need to us that extra storage space on high-def disks for some features that are so cool that J6P can't resist them. That is what it will take to sell the new formats, especially since J6P doesn't notice much difference in the image quality. Taking features away from our standard disks just pisses everyone off.
Lurking at HTF Since 2001

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
How much other stuff is on the discs? As I was commenting on another thread in the HD area, I suspect that studios might still be willing to stuff 9GB onto a disc, but they won't necessarily go for the second disc any more, figuring that the audience for that is migrating to the HD formats.

I have the BD versions of both Cars and Ratatouille. The method in which the commentaries are presented is such that you would need a second SD DVD disc to view them - they are basically picture in picture (although you can turn the PIP off). They are very good, though and it's disappointing Disney couldn't have included at least an abridged version on the SD DVDs.

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 09:16 AM

I can see why you'd be upset, but as someone who has yet to take the HD plunge, I would rather see the features on a HD version I can purchase later than on a SD version that is already surperceded by a HD version. I'm not buying any SD versions that have HD counterparts, and in at least one case (Blade Runner), the SD version with all the features costs 3x the HD version, since you can't buy it without a lot of other frills. What this means is I'll wait until I get HD before buying any version.

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 10:30 AM

Kinda like the late 80s and early 90s when you had to get Laserdisc editions to get commentaries. Calling it discrimination is a bit of a stretch.

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   CameronMcC

CameronMcC

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
We, who have built the Disney DVD home video empire

that was built way back on vhs. I'm bummed as a HD-DVD owner that I can't get them now, but sooner or later they'll get to this format, or I'll get to the other....in the mean time no worries

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Brian D H

Brian D H

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySt
Kinda like the late 80s and early 90s when you had to get Laserdisc editions to get commentaries. Calling it discrimination is a bit of a stretch.

But they never removed commentaries from VHS. VHS never had them.

Why not have video commentaries on the HD disks and leave the audio ones on the SD-DVD?
Lurking at HTF Since 2001

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow