Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Could the WGA strike produce more babies by next year?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted November 10 2007 - 12:06 PM

If there's nothing new to watch on TV in the following weeks, could we expect couples to become more "frisky" in the evening? Posted Image

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 10 2007 - 12:26 PM

I doubt it; TV's just too diversified now a-days, and people are just too busy. It does tend to happen after blizzards or hurricanes, for whatever reason.Posted Image

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Rod J

Rod J

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted November 10 2007 - 12:29 PM

Does anyone between 11 and 60 watch broadcast television (except sports)?

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,768 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 10 2007 - 04:40 PM

I TIVO the evening news and watch it when I get home from work. The only weekly show I watch or have any interest in whatsoever is NCIS. It's possible the strike could affect NCIS, I don't know how far in advance each episode is filmed.

Quote:
people are just too busy
Quite correct. My wife and I work different schedules. Usually the only time we see each other is on Saturday afternoon for an hour or two before she goes to work, all day Sunday, Monday evening for a couple hours when I get home from work and long enough each morning at 5AM to get a quick kiss and an I love you before I have to go.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 11 2007 - 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod J
Does anyone between 11 and 60 watch broadcast television (except sports)?

Yes, tens of millions of people do. That's part of the problem with living here inside the HTF bubble where almost everyone has one or more DVRs a couple of HDTVs and a killer sound system. We forget that we're a tiny minority and that we actually have very little in common with the average TV viewer.

Quote:
Could the WGA strike produce more babies by next year?

Despite what I said above, I doubt it. The mere absence of TV isn't going to be enough to drive most married couples into spending more time together. The only class of people who will have significantly more time on their hands as a result of the strike are the writers themselves - and most of them had trouble getting laid when they still had jobs. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted November 11 2007 - 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino
Yes, tens of millions of people do. That's part of the problem with living here inside the HTF bubble where almost everyone has one or more DVRs a couple of HDTVs and a killer sound system. We forget that we're a tiny minority and that we actually have very little in common with the average TV viewer.

I follow a couple of shows--over the air hdtv can be very nice indeed. It's the highest resolution source available in my house.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,818 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted November 11 2007 - 05:14 AM

Quote:
That's part of the problem with living here inside the HTF bubble where almost everyone has one or more DVRs a couple of HDTVs and a killer sound system. We forget that we're a tiny minority and that we actually have very little in common with the average TV viewer.

I haven't watched a "tv show" for over 20 years now, and stopped watching tv news over a decade ago. My sister often says it's amazing that the guy who owns the fanciest "tv" she knows (me) doesn't ever "watch television". Posted Image
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted November 11 2007 - 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls
I haven't watched a "tv show" for over 20 years now, and stopped watching tv news over a decade ago. My sister often says it's amazing that the guy who owns the fanciest "tv" she knows (me) doesn't ever "watch television". Posted Image
I can relate to that. I have a front projection system but I don't even have cable! All I have is a Samsung ATSC receiver which can pick up only the French and English CBC services here in Montreal.

Come to think of it, if I actually bothered to leave the house from time to time instead of always sitting in front of my big screen, I probably would have found a girlfriend to impregnate by now! Posted Image

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,639 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted November 12 2007 - 01:24 AM

So what happens to HTF couples when this forum goes down? Posted Image

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 12 2007 - 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H
So what happens to HTF couples when this forum goes down? Posted Image

They go at it like bunnies. Posted Image

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   King Ghidora

King Ghidora

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted November 12 2007 - 02:49 AM

More likely we'll see an increase of divorces than a baby boom anyway. If married people actually have to listen to each other then I see bad things in their future. Posted Image

Just kidding. I think most people spend time watching news and reruns instead of new tv shows. There are those reality things. I still don't get that. I can see reality out my window.

I went for about 12 years and didn't even own a tv but I guess I watch it now. It's mostly news and sports and reruns for me. That's what happens when your health fades and you get too old to worry about making babies. One of my babies is in graduate school and the other is in college too. It's pretty much impossible that I'll be having any more. Posted Image

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted November 12 2007 - 05:46 AM

No sports (not terribly interested)
No news (nytimes.com, among others, and occassionally NPR will provide)
No reality programs
But plenty of "well-written" dramatic programs, the vast majority of them in HD. My viewing habits will run straight into the writer's strike.

Everybody has their own eccentricities when it comes to Home Theatre.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow