Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

MGM Press Release: New York, New York 30th Anniversary Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,836 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 08:33 PM

START SPREADING THE NEWS…. LIZA MINNELLI AND ROBERT DE NIRO STAR IN DIRECTOR MARTIN SCORSESE’S CLASSIC NEW YORK, NEW YORK 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION Celebrate the Iconic Film Noir Musical from United Artists Special 30th Anniversary 2-Disc DVD Set Loaded with Bonus Features Arrives December 4 Nominated For Four Golden Globe AwardsÒ, Including Best Original Song For The Beloved Theme “New York, New York” LOS ANGELES, CA – Swing to the sounds of the Big Band Era and relive a time in the Big Apple when the war was over and the world was falling in love again when the New York, New York 30th Anniversary two-disc special edition DVD arrives December 4 from MGM Home Entertainment. Nominated for four Golden GlobeÒ awards in 1978,* this film noir musical tribute to New York City directed by Academy AwardÒ winner Martin Scorsese (Best Achievement in Directing, The Departed) stars Academy AwardÒ winning actors Robert De Niro (Best Actor in a supporting role, The Godfather: Part II, Best Actor in a leading role, Raging Bull) and Liza Minnelli (Best Actress in a leading role, Cabaret). The anniversary edition of New York, New York supports a larger DVD initiative that celebrates the 90th anniversary of United Artists and serves to reinforce and remind people of the powerful film history and legacy of the famed studio. The two-disc special edition includes new Dolby Surround 5.1 audio and special features such as an introduction and audio commentary by Martin Scorsese; audio commentary by film critic Carrie Rickey, alternate takes and deleted scenes and Liza on New York, New York. The New York, New York 30th Anniversary Edition will be available for the suggested retail price of $19.98 US/$25.98 Canada. Prebook is November 7. Synopsis: Acclaimed director Martin Scorsese teams with Academy AwardÒ winners Liza Minnelli and Robert De Niro in this splashy, flashy musical spectacle celebrating the glorious days of the Big Band Era in the Big Apple! Jimmy is a joint-jumpin' saxophonist on his way to stardom. Francine is a wannabe starlet who dreams of singing in the spotlight. When they meet, sparks fly - and when he plays and she sings, they set New York on fire! It's the beginning of a stormy relationship, as the two struggle to balance their passions for music and each other under the pressures of big-time show biz. DVD Special Features: Disc One · Widescreen Format of Feature Film – New York, New York · Martin Scorceses’s Introduction to New York, New York · Audio Commentary by Director Martin Scorcese and Film Critic Carrie Rickey · Alternate Takes/Deleted Scenes · Photo Gallery · Theatrical Trailer Disc Two · The New York, New York Stories Part One · The New York, New York Stories Part Two · Liza on New York, New York · Commentary on Selected Scenes by Lazlo Kovacs, ASC Rich in history and devoted to creating powerful, quality films, United Artists (UA) was formed in 1919 by Mary Pickford, Charles Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks and D.W. Griffith to encourage progressive filmmaking, giving each star the authority and autonomy to create the films about which they were most passionate. The studio responsible for creating some of the finest films of all time including iconic film franchises ROCKY, PINK PANTHER and JAMES BOND and critically-acclaimed and award-winning features RAGING BULL, SOME LIKE IT HOT, WEST SIDE STORY, ANNIE HALL, MIDNIGHT COWBOY and RAIN MAN, contains a library of nearly 1,000 feature films and boasts more than 80 Academy Award®-winning classics. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment (MGMHE) has kicked off an 18-month global celebration leading up to the 90th anniversary in 2009 to promote the largest catalog event in video industry history. New York, New York 30th Anniversary Edition DVD Price: $19.98 U.S. / $25.98 Canada Street Date: December 4, 2007 Prebook Date: November 7, 2007 Running Time: 163 mins. Catalog Number: M109624 Audio Features: English Dolby Surround 5.1 MPAA: PG Language: English and Spanish Subtitles: English, French and Spanish Closed Captioned YES

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,161 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 10:57 PM

Will this disc provide a new 16x9 enhanced 1.66 transfer of the film, or will it just repackage the letterboxed-but-nonanamorphic version previously released. I will probably get it for the new extras anyway, but I'll be disappointed if it's the same disc we've always had, good as it was for its time.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,384 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted November 10 2007 - 12:19 AM

Mark, Excatly the question I was wondering. I hope it's an anamorphic release this time. I'll wait for more info before getting this one.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 01:30 AM

I just picked up the new 2 disc Special Edition of NEW YORK NEW YORK. What a disappointment!!!! The first disc is the same non anamorphic transfer recycled!! The disc has a date of 2004 and is identical to the first DVD release. MGM is is releasing old transfers alot !!! I also picked up the BOB HOPE COLLECTION and all previously released films are the old transfers.
Ken

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,476 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted December 01 2007 - 01:45 AM

Disappointing but not unexpected; so 'The Princess & The Pirate' is the same godawful transfer as last time Ken?
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 09:54 AM

OK so I'm now in two minds about whether to buy this. Would you say that the extras on Disc 2 still make it worth a double-dip?
Bruce Morrison

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,834 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 01 2007 - 10:10 AM

In all fairness, I haven't seen this release but disc two would have to have stunningly good features to get me to buy it when they are just using the same disc one again and not even 'bothering' to have an anamorphic transfer.

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 10:13 AM

That sucks. On the plus side, that's now $20 I can spend on crack or something. See how MGM has encouraged me to take up crack smoking? If they'd only created a new transfer I could remain clean and sober.

Posted Image

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Marco S

Marco S

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 11:22 AM

MGM, very unprofessional. What happened to customer service? You are hurting your good name...

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 02:30 PM

Disc 2 is a typical "making of" docummentary...which is also not anamorphic, "Princess and the Pirate" looks the same to me.
Ken

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,834 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the unfortunate info. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a sucker for a double dip but not this time.

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,373 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted December 01 2007 - 03:23 PM

Isn't this really a Sony thing? Regardless whether MGM or Sony, or When MGM Met Sony, not totally unexpected from either of them. This is a pretty good movie, easily IMO one of the more tolerable "chick flicks", and because of that I'd prefer to have to watch it in as good a presentation as possible... Posted Image

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Sean A

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 04:15 PM

I wonder what this bodes for THE APARTMENT ??

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   moviefan

moviefan

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 04:25 PM

It doesn't bode well at all. Too bad. I wish TimeWarner purchased MGM instead of the group that included Sony. TW was stupid for backing out of the bidding process. It would have been worth it for them in the long run. Antitrust concerns wouldn't have been a problem. TW would most likely have kept the film library at the end just like Ted Turner.

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,834 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 04:29 PM

At least with the new version of The Apartment, they have to make a new disc instead of re-using the existing disc. That certainly doesn't mean that they will create a new transfer but if they planned on doing the same thing with The Apartment as they are with New York, New York, I think it would be a two disc set (with the original disc as disc one and disc two having the new content that they created).

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 06:31 PM

Well I'll certainly hold off buying the new version until I know whether it does have an improved transfer. The same will apply to 'In The Heat Of The Night'. In view of the previous comments, I've already decided to skip the 'New York, New York' release. We obviously need to be very careful with these so-called "new" versions being put out by Sony/MGM.
Bruce Morrison

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 06:40 PM

Wow, I'm surprised at this. This is normally a pretty informed web forum but three people have mistakenly blamed Sony for this release. Sony did indeed buy MGM but they unloaded the MGM home video library on Fox shortly thereafter. As such you can blame Fox for this release. "New York, New York" is not my favorite Scorsese film by a long shot and I already have a copy of this from the MGM Scorsese box. I'm anal enough where I'll probably have to get this eventually but since the presentation of the movie itself isn't upgraded in any way I can easily wait until it's cheaper.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted December 02 2007 - 05:22 AM

Actually, Sony didn't buy MGM. A consortium (including Sony) purchased the company - Sony only owns approximately 20% and consequently has little to say about how MGM is run. The other 80% made the decision to drop Sony and switch to Fox for the distribution of Metro's extensive feature film catalogue.

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted December 02 2007 - 08:42 AM

MGM could have released disk 2 when they released this movie the first time. The two disk version was released in R2 a couple of years ago, a few months after they released the 1 disk R1 version. But it is also 4x3 (and PAL, which is never good news for a musical to my NTSC ears.)

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,373 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted December 02 2007 - 11:24 AM

Apologies there, I really don't follow the business aspects of the industry closely. But I am *pretty* sure I have seen Sony logos etc. preceding some MGM films I bought lately, so I just assumed... I mean, MGM being on the slow boat when it comes to DVD aspects is nothing new (IMO part of their demise), and some of the current "MGM" re-releases *do* have the patina of Sony re-release-ism... But I'm still wrong, just making excuses... Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users