Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Batman Begins & Matrix - How come these are on HD and not Blu-ray?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 of 72 OFFLINE   Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted November 08 2007 - 10:46 PM

Just wondering... seen as Warners are releasing titles in both formats, how come Batman Begins and The Matrix have been released exclusively on HD DVD, but not blu-ray?

#2 of 72 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 12:20 AM

Because they have IME and BR can't handle that yet.

#3 of 72 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 09 2007 - 01:30 AM

Since that was an easy one to answer, maybe it would be a worthwhile exercise to turn the thread towards identifying the HD DVD exclusive Warner titles that do not have IME such as "Casablanca" and The Adventures of Robin Hood". Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#4 of 72 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 01:47 AM

I've always heard it said that HD DVD owners were seen as more of a classic film market than Blu-ray. Being that these titles, while beautiful in presentation, are barely making a dent on HD DVD; it is my complete speculation that WB probably thinks there would be absolutely no market for these films in the demographic that is dominated by PS3 owners. So tooling up for even less sales in Blu than the HD DVD has brought is not financially viable.

#5 of 72 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 01:50 AM

We beat that to death too. Posted Image

http://www.hometheat....ghlight=warner
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 72 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 01:55 AM

Agreed. Can we close this thread?
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#7 of 72 ONLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,699 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 09 2007 - 04:16 AM

Warner is looking for a marketing window. That is all.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 72 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 04:30 AM

Christmas? I need forbidden Planet, and both Wonka movies. BAD!

#9 of 72 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 09 2007 - 05:29 AM

But this one has not deteriorated into a format war p!$$ing match yet. Maybe we should delete the other one. Posted Image

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#10 of 72 OFFLINE   Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 06:13 AM

...forgive the dumbness, but what is IME?

#11 of 72 OFFLINE   Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 06:36 AM

IN Movie Experience

#12 of 72 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 06:36 AM

I think it stands for "Interactive Movie Experience". Particularly in the case of WB, this includes PIP video commentary and internet-enabled features like they did on 300. For some titles like the Matrix, they intnetionally held back the BD release waiting for PIP functionality in hardware. For others like 300, they decided to release anyway despite the lack of PIP on the BD.

#13 of 72 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 06:38 AM

It's ashame we couldn't have gotten those holdout titles for Christmas. Would have boosted BD numbers a lot too. I hope we at least get them ANNOUNCED by Christmas. Seems nothing has been announced for a while. Definitely want to see release dates for Matrix and Batman Begins. Though I fear they'll want to wait until The Dark Knight for BB, which I think is a big mistake, since BD could use the help now. Having big franchises on one format and not the other from a studio that's dual-format doesn't look good.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#14 of 72 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 06:38 AM

In Movie Experience. It's essentially picture in picture commentary and other interactivity related special features. HD DVD uses Microsoft's HDi technology to present the interface while the HD DVD group mandated a second video decoder for such content to be displayed in thier hardware. Blu-Ray has it's own version of this technology (two actually. BDMV for basic pop-up menus and BD-J for more elaborate interfaces) and recently mandated that all new BD players to be released must include Profile 1.1 which adds that second video decoder and 256mb of local strorage. That brings with it the ability to do this type of content but currently it can be fudged to an extent. To be clear, Warner recently announced Terminator 3 on Blu-Ray and it will include the IME content we're discussing here. They are not using the 1.1 profile though and are literally using the added space and bandwidth to include a second encode of the content that will simulate the experience (The Descent is a good example of a Blu-Ray disc that's out there that already does this). You're going to see more BD discs include these type of features next year. With The Dark Knight releasing next summer you can be almost guarenteed that Warner will be releasing Batman Begins on Blu-Ray to coincide. The Matrix was also announced as being released at a later date so you'll more than likely see that coming as more 1.1 player make it onto the market. I hope that clarifies things for you a bit.

#15 of 72 OFFLINE   Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 07:41 AM

Yeah, cheers for that. My only hope is that they ramp up the activity in the UK, cause it's pretty dull, blu-ray release wise, at the moment.

#16 of 72 ONLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,699 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 10 2007 - 02:23 AM

I'd be very surprised. I wouldn't expect any more announced until next year, for the following reasons: 1. I bet they don't want to promise titles they can't replicate. This has already been a concern, which led to the slight delays for That's Entertainment and T3. 2. I'm sure they don't want to oversaturate the market for the holidays. Catalog titles sell far less than new release titles, and there are simply too many out there in Nov-Dec to consider such a time a good marketing window. I would think they would release a few of these titles in the slower months of Feb-Mar to supplement other dual format releases.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#17 of 72 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted November 10 2007 - 03:20 AM

Thats easy David, buy an HD DVD player. I hear you can get one for under $100 now. Posted Image

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#18 of 72 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 11 2007 - 03:53 AM

Not going near war talk/debate... staying away... far away!

Posted Image Posted Image

#19 of 72 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted November 11 2007 - 04:27 AM

Low disc sales I'd imagine is the reason we won't see those for a good while. I'll see if I can create a list of WB HD titles not on BR yet.

#20 of 72 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,015 posts

Posted November 11 2007 - 05:31 AM

Why is the concept of Blu-ray market realities so controversial here? I'm not directing this at you, Shane, but at some of the previous comments. I quoted your comment as it simply and eloquently gets to the heart of the problem some (all?) studios have with the Blu-ray format. When 95% of a format's installed hardware base is a game console, it does not take a marketing genius to figure out what types of movies sell on that format and what does not. I feel confident that Warner has released enough titles on Blu-ray and HD DVD to have a good understanding of both markets. If Warner has continued to NOT put certain titles on Blu-ray that they have on HD DVD, and IME is obviously not the impediment, well, is that so hard to figure out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users