-

Photo
- - - - -

speaker cables & connectors

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 500magnum

500magnum

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted November 08 2007 - 09:48 AM

Could someone give me some much needed help.I'm thinking about upgrading my cables and connectors.Some people say they make a huge difference,others say they don't and laugh at people who pay big $$$ on them.I'm just using large gauge coppr speaker cable and braide connecters.Spent about $150 combined.I went to a site,audiogon,and I could'nt beleive the prices you can spend.I was thinking about products called anti-cables and anti-connecters.Can anyone give me the right answers?Thank you.

#2 of 8 Echo42987

Echo42987

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted November 08 2007 - 11:05 AM

If all you want to do is change out your speaker cables....then don't do it, it's a waste. You won't hear an audible difference between the two.

-Nick-
Home Theater Setup
TV - Sony KDS60A3000
Reciever - Denon AVR2308CI
DVD - Denon DVD1940CI
Fronts - Canton GLE409Center - Canton AV7002Rears - Canton PLUSXL2Sub - Klipsch RW10DPower - Panamax M5300PMCables - AudioQuestGame - Xbox360-PS2/3

#3 of 8 Craig

Craig

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 12:33 AM

I'm not a big believer in spending big dollars on speaker wire or connectors, I just ended up using regular speaker cable I found at Radio Shack along with the Radio Shack Gold bananna plugs (which are excellent plugs btw).

I have been reading up a little on HDMI cables, and it does appear that for longer runs, over 20 or 30 feet, you do have to pay more to get top performance, although you still don't have to spend really big bucks (just avoid the real cheapies). However, on shorter runs for HDMI, it looks like even the cheaper cables work well.

It's just a hobby, do what makes you happy. Some people spend a lot for small items on cars, boats or other things, if buying expensive speaker wire makes you happier with your HT setup, then go for it.

#4 of 8 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 02:00 AM

IMHO, if you spend more than 10% of the value of your components on wiring/interconnects, you are spending way too much. The only improvement you will get from "upgrading" your cables is getting to say you "upgraded". If that's what you want, then go for it. But I doubt you will receive any improvements above that of the placebo effect.

By the way, me being interested in the marketing of complete BS, what exactly are "anti-cables" and "anti-connectors"? Do they have anything to do with "anti-science"? Posted Image

#5 of 8 500magnum

500magnum

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 09:03 AM

anti-cables and anti-connecters are ones that are very,very thin.Like a single wire.There's a lot of talk about them on audiogon under cable section,and in the forum.People either say they love them,up to switching from the're big $$$ cables or they hate them .No in betweens.You should ck out them at audiogon.Interesting concept.

#6 of 8 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500magnum
anti-cables and anti-connecters are ones that are very,very thin.Like a single wire.There's a lot of talk about them on audiogon under cable section,and in the forum.People either say they love them,up to switching from the're big $$$ cables or they hate them .No in betweens.You should ck out them at audiogon.Interesting concept.

No thanks. I try to stay out of that stuff. Too much BS being thrown around.

#7 of 8 500magnum

500magnum

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 12:40 PM

Good to know,I'm very new,know next to nothhing about real hi-fi,and don't know the good,the bad,and the ugly.

#8 of 8 beetle_slayer

beetle_slayer

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted November 11 2007 - 03:11 PM

I think you should have good quality connector and wires--build quality. I mean connectors that don't fall apart or cable that breaks inside the insulation. There are several websites selling cable--I bought some shorter hdmi cables and audio cables to help clean up the wire nest. I bought 10 cables and it was around $40 shipped. My boss just bought a nice dvd player for $100 and spent $125 for the Monster HDMI cable. Go figure!