Photo
- - - - -

So how much am I going to hate the New Northern Exposure box set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Jim Browning

Jim Browning

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted November 07 2007 - 08:00 PM

I was a big fan of the show.... .and yes I know all about the music replacement situation..... but I also believe that there is NEVER going to be a release of the show with all the original music.

My question for anyone with the previous releases....

Am I going to be able to watch the shows and still feel entertained by them? Or am I going to be totally bummed out even looking at them?

Just need some help deciding whether to invest in the new release or not.

thanks,

Jim

#2 of 7 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,593 posts

Posted November 08 2007 - 03:11 AM

You are going to love it. Maybe not as much as you did seeing them completely intact, but almost as much. Apart from a few places, unless you have recently seen the original shows, you won't even notice the changed music. The cast, writing and performances can not be trumped by some missing music. This show rocks.

#3 of 7 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted November 08 2007 - 03:19 AM

To Answer your topic question..

I think About as long as it takes you to pop in the first dvd and sit down to watch it. Just one of the true gems in tv history that even with the music replacements is as enjoyable as it ever was. Music is not replaced in key scenes which helps.

#4 of 7 RickER

RickER

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted November 08 2007 - 07:50 AM

Most, but not all of the music you would know, is used. Some of the music Chris would play i wouldnt know if i had to. I remember an Enya song from the original airing, and its on the DVD.

#5 of 7 RoyM

RoyM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted November 08 2007 - 08:09 AM

Well, I will depart a bit from the few posts here and say that if you do remember the show intimately, you will be disappointed by several of the music replacements. I personally found two episodes to be nearly ruined by terrible music replacement choices in the key climactic scenes. So while much music did make it intact (maybe 50% as a generous estimate), not all of the music replacement is as trivial as some people have opined.

Of course, your mileage may vary depending on which episodes and scenes (and accompanying music) you remember and value. I was quite a fan of the show in its first run, so perhaps I'm a little more sensitive to it than some.

Still, it is a great show and since the altered version is all we have, it is certainly better than nothing.

#6 of 7 Chris Roberts

Chris Roberts

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted November 08 2007 - 08:51 AM

I'm a long-time fan of the show, but never paid attention to what specific songs they played to miss them. There's only been one or two songs I've been unhappy with which I'm pretty sure weren't in the original airing. But really thats a few minutes out of a couple episodes out of the 4-5 seasons I've rewatched.

I do really enjoy the deleted scenes that include entire plotlines cut from episodes though. I know they're short, but some of them felt like watching a new episode (or an old one I hadn't seen).

#7 of 7 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,593 posts

Posted November 08 2007 - 12:16 PM

I wouldn't say the replacement is trivial, and there were certainly a few places where it was obvious, but over the course of the whole show it does not degrade the series that much, as they did keep most of the really pivotal pieces intact. I agree that the extras are very nice to have, and while not making up for replaced music, at least somewhat offset it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users