Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

FANNY (1961/Leslie Caron) coming April 2008?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   RoyM

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted November 07 2007 - 05:10 PM

Well, there's a listing on Image's website for it. I haven't heard it 'officially' anounced anywhere, and that date is quite a bit away, so who knows what will happen, but here's hoping.

http://www.image-ent....roductID=66640

Another unreleased Best Picture nominee to scratch off my wish list.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted November 08 2007 - 04:18 AM

I understand that WB no longer owns the rights to FANNY. It's got a great cast, great score (adapted from a Broadway musical version of FANNY), and superb location work by Jack Cardiff. It's been showing recently on cable and it looks pretty good. I would love to see the never-shown 1938 version of Pagnol's work THE PORT OF SEVEN SEAS--directed by James Whale, scripted by Preston Sturges, with Wallace Beery, Maureen O'Sullivan, John Beal, and Frank Morgan. Has anyone seen it?
Charles Hoyt

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted November 08 2007 - 12:10 PM

WB mentioned they didn't have the rights in the last chat. Glad Image is releasing the film - it really is underrated, nominated for 5 Oscars including Best Picture and Best Actor (1961) Leslie Caron attended a screening a few years ago and the image was pretty much square - this was not a widescreen film

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 04:10 AM

I searched and found several threads for FANNY, but wasn't sure if this was the appropriate one to post in...
However...

...this movie is finally on its way, June 17, 2008.
It was always on my list of films that I thought would never make it to dvd.

Curiously, Barnes and Noble has it listed with a "bonus CD"...
but I don't find this extra listed at Image's own site,
or on Amazon.
hmmm.....

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 06:06 AM

There is one other website, where for months, this has been listed with a bonus cd.

If so, it would not be the originally released album. that is a rerecording owned byWarner Bros Records.

It there is a bonus cd, might it be the actual aoundtrack of the film, released for the first time?

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 08:20 AM

Why are they listing this as widescreen. When I saw it in the theater it wasn't widescreen but Square. Leslie Caron spoke before the screening - LCMA in LA a few years ago

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,802 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 06 2008 - 08:40 AM

It was released in 1961 so the aspect ratio should be 1.85:1. I have a copy of the Laserdisc release and it was also widescreen. My guess is the film was not hard matted so at the screening you attended it was shown full frame by accident which I would find almost impossible at venue you saw it at so I have no real answer.

Was there anything interesting that Miss Caron said about the film that sticks out in your mind?

Enjoyable film and I will certainly replace my disc if the quality is there.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 09:40 AM

Looking forward to seeing this for the first time.
I was also happy to see the DD and DVD Planet sales will run thru the 24th which means this can be snagged for $13.49.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahollis
It was released in 1961 so the aspect ratio should be 1.85:1. I have a copy of the Laserdisc release and it was also widescreen. My guess is the film was not hard matted so at the screening you attended it was shown full frame by accident which I would find almost impossible at venue you saw it at so I have no real answer.

Was there anything interesting that Miss Caron said about the film that sticks out in your mind?

Enjoyable film and I will certainly replace my disc if the quality is there.

To be honest, I don't remember. But she was charmng and so sweet. She still looked very good. Very classy

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,209 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 01:27 PM

It's on TCM tomorrow night (6/7, 8pm EST), as part of a night of Caron features including a "Private Screenings" interview with Robert Osborne.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   RoyM

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 03:07 PM

All of which brings up the question (for me):

Why in the heck is Lili not yet on DVD???

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted June 07 2008 - 01:33 AM

Agreed! Where is that one?
The order in which certain 'standard' old movies have been released on dvd is very odd...some of the most obscure have been out for a long while, while more famous titles languish in the vaults.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted June 07 2008 - 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_M
Why are they listing this as widescreen. When I saw it in the theater it wasn't widescreen but Square. Leslie Caron spoke before the screening - LCMA in LA a few years ago

It's a 1:85 film - I wouldn't be surprised if LCMA showed a 16mm print, which would account for the open matte.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 01:40 AM

The Beaver on this film.
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 04:02 AM

Barnes and Noble's website has now removed the "Bonus CD" part of their info for this film...at any rate, it is a real 'sleeper' of a movie, and i can't wait to own it.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted June 20 2008 - 01:13 AM

Amazon delivered my copy yesterday.
It is all done well...the transfer is clear, though color seems a trifle on the 'yellow'/warm side...the original soundtrack is intact, and the new 5.1 reminds me of the old VHS 'videophonic' style tracks....i don't believe that it is any sort of true stereo, but it is given a wide stage....
The artifacts noted and screencaptured on DVDBeaver have been taken care of.
They were not present on my copy.
Even the menu screens are pretty.

The Bonus CD is included.
It is a liscensing of the 1961 Warner Bros Records' orignal soundtrack recording,
and its stereo sound is fine.....(I had found a mono version of this LP years ago at a garage sale, and believe me, the stereo tracks on CD are a huge improvement).

The music is a huge attraction of this piece so it was great to have this bonus.

The film itself is a trifle long, but worth it....one of those rare combinations of comedy and bittersweet moments. Caron is delightful in it and her fans should not miss this. Jack Cardiff's photography, as one would expect, is breathtaking, especially the outtdoor scenes of the Marseilles waterfront.

To me it all has a sort of 'foreign film' feel to it that Hollywood movies of that time rarely captured.....in ways it reminded me of SUMMERTIME, or even CINEMA PARADISO in its style.
Lovely gem, rediscovered.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted June 25 2008 - 01:08 AM

DVD Talk on this film here
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

Forum Nav Content I Follow