What's new

What if the Sun was to disappear? Joel 3:15 (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/09/htf_imgcache_15641.jpeg] [/url]

I recently finished a new short film.
Joel 3:15

It's less than 5 minutes and under 50MB.

Synopsis... A man awakens in the morning to find that the world is now in complete and total darkness.

I'm not looking for votes, you actually can't vote unless you are a member with over 50 posts.
I'm looking for opinions on the movie from fellow movie goers. Just keep in mind, the theme was DARKNESS and it had to be less than 5 minutes in length.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Mike

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
oh it's a film! I thought you were actually asking a question. I was going to say "It would be awesome, cause I wouldn't get any glare on my TV."

I don;t have time to watch the movie, I'll check back in later. :)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
good use of light and great shot selection, and I liked the way you used the radio host to keep the narrative taut while the onscreen action focused more on the local human element than the world. Just the theme and your rendition reminded me of 'Last Night' with Sarah Polley, a great movie if you haven't seen it.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
"What a tweest!"

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I thought it looked very good. The camerawork stands out, its clearly a cut above most amateur/short films, and even the "shoot by numbers" dead center that makes "cinematographer" less about art and more about punching a timecard (ex. The Omen)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Thanks guys!

No, I haven't seen "Last Night". I should, I believe it's a Canadian film.

Yah, I don't like to get too obscure with my shots, I want people to pay more attention to the dialogue. I don't want to distract them.

Thanks for watching! :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Hey Michael! It's a lot better than the last one I saw of yours. Your shots are a lot better now. However, I found them to be too self-conscious at times and didn't work for the tone of this movie. The actors did a good job.

~T

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

The Earth would freeze solid and be flung off into deep space along with all the rest of the planets, moons and asteroids. Why do you ask? ;)

Joe

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Could you explain how I could make them less self-consious?

Thanks,

Mike

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
The only moving shot that I felt worked was when the husband was sitting on the bed with his wife lying on it. The other moving shots didn't really add much other than to make it look cool. Also, when the guy is walking out of his house, when the camera starts moving makes it seem self-aware. When the husband and wife are talking, you messed up on the wide shot: the husband and wife's positions should be swapped, due to the way you were filming the over-the-shoulder closeups. The neighbor's closeup out of the house seems a little odd. Maybe it would've been better shot from the other side, or having the husband look over to the neighbor and then cut to the closeup of the neighbor.

Overall, a vast improvement over the last one I saw you make, the phone one. Good job. Have you made others since?

~T

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
I really liked it!!!!!!

I thought it was very good. I could have done without the "up-the-nose" shot on the front porch. Maybe a little less creativity with the camera.

I really enjoyed the premise and I found it thought provoking.

Very well done!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
In the closeups, you were shooting over the husband's right side and the wife's left side; therefore, the wide camera shot should be on that same side but you had it on the opposite side (unless it was intentional). When you have the wide shot, their positions feel reversed from what you were conveying from the closeups.

~T

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Aah... but did you notice that it is actually their reflection in the mirror? You can actually see a shoulder in the bottom right foreground for just a sec I believe. :)

Edit: Check the first wide shot... look at the bottom right corner, you can see just a bit of the shoulder.

Mike

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
If you still have that video I showed you a long time ago, take a look at the dinner scene where the couple is talking at the table.

Sorry about the "nitpicking," but hey, I can find lots of problems with stuff I've made, too.

~T

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I've seen the Sun "Disappear" Twice in my life, on July 11, 1991 and again on February 26, 1998! On both occaisions I was on a Cruise Ship that intercepted the path of a Total Solar Eclipse. If you've never seen one of these LIVE you have not lived! It is a sight to behold! The Temperature drops about 15 degrees, and it gets like twilight about 1.2 an hour after sunset, except it totally surrounds you, it is not on one side of the sky. Then you look up at the sub and see the Corona flaring out from both sides of the Moon. Words cannot describe what you see, if you've only seen pictures and/or films you have not seen HALF of what you see live, things happen nthat CANNOT be picked up on Film! During the 1998 Eclipse I was able to aim a Six Inch Telescope at the Eclipse, Several Loop Promininces protruded from both sides of the Moon, looking like little pink Horseshoes stuck to na Black Beachball. (During Totality you can look at it safely without going blind, but ONLY DURING TOTALITY! As soon as the "Diamond Ring" effect occurs its time to use filters or "Shadowboxes") I have been fortunate to see this wonder twice, hopefully all of you will be able to experience one in your lifetime!:emoji_thumbsup:

PS, During the 1998 Eclipse the Corona manifested itself as the Triangular Emblem you saw Crew Members wear on Star Trek! :D

Colton

Supporting Actor
I liked it. I'm a sucker for downbeat movies, but I felt that things weren't bad enough for the ending. Maybe show them really freezing ... cold breath air and maybe some apocalyptic news scenes, perhaps power failing, etc. Otherwise, the story is pretty grim. Great job!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks