What's new

HD DVD demo disc? (1 Viewer)

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
I've made the plunge into the HiDef disc arena by ordering a Toshiba HD-A35 for HD DVD, which should arrive shortly. I swore I would sit out this "war" but I've been learning that "never say never" is good advice. I upgraded to a HD HT system this summer and want to show off what my new monitor in particular can do.

I was curious, though the player will come with a few titles and I have a handful I intend on purchasing, can anyone recommend a good HD DVD demo disc that really showcases the format to the fullest? I was particularly hoping for one that contains a lot of HD video material rather than movies as I find that this type of image really sings when done right.

Thanks for any suggestions.

** A last point: in the interests of interglobal amity I hope we can all get along (Blu Ray and HDD) in this forum. A visit to the AVS forums today revealed a sad announcement of the temporary (hopefully) closing to new posts in the HD disc format forums. I couldn't believe that legal and physical threats have actually been posted by some folks. I guess the trolls are winning over there. I frequent both sites and would really lament any loss or restriction in information exchange. Here's hoping...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
No worries about all getting along here. The owners and mods established the neutrality a while back and the members respect it 99% of the time. It is a testament to the site (and a testament to the general maturity, plus actual age in years, of the members).

To your question, for HD Video, I love the HD Digital Video Essentials demo section. It has animation, a Space Shuttle liftoff, the Earth from space, city architecture and crowd scenes, nature scenes, etc., etc; all filmed in HD video. I have played this demo loop for everyone who wanted a demo of my HD set and it never failed to cause their jaw to hang down in their lap. Plus, it's cheap (around $20 at Amazon) and you get the DVE Calibration disk (HD and SD version in a Combo disk) with it.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Thanks much. I will consider it. Do you know if any of the studios/video companies put out any "compendiums" of HD sequences similar to those you mentioned on the HD DVE?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

For 4.95, how can you go wrong!

I just one clicked it. Amazon also has it bundled with HD DVE for 24.80. Wow, save a whole .10. :D

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
That sampler sounds great also. Ok. I believe that is really what I'm looking for as I already have a calibration disc.

I would think there would be more of these as the industry should be blowing the format's own horn so to speak.

I've also been reading that not all HD masterings are created equal if you catch my drift. I've seen some reviews that complain bitterly about the results. In those cases it's more the negatives/prints the companies have to work with I suppose. In particular, I hear "Excalibur" is one to avoid, which is too bad as it's one I've recorded on my short list to purchase.

Dave>h

Second Unit
I disagree that Excalibur should be avoided.

The film was filmed intentionally soft and "dreamlike" and the HD DVD shows this off perfectly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the transfer whatsoever.

Its an older film and looks like an older film but that isn't a fault, it is a fact.

Dave

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Here is my list of good reference HD DVDs.

Grand Prix (I personally think this is the best looking HD disc on any format)

Casablana (Beautiful B&W photography in glorious HD)

The Adventures of Robin Hood (Glorious Technicolor in glorious HD)

The Searchers (Monument Valley in HD goodness)

Bullitt (The granddaddy of car chase movies, looking better than ever)

Hot Fuzz (a great riff on cop movies and Michael Bay in particular. One of the best looking new films on HD)

Serenity (has the distinction of being the first HD DVD title released and still one of the best looking)

The Bourne Identity (Just one of the coolest movies ever made)

Doug

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Sorry guys, I got of topic when I mentioned Excalibur. I was veering into the area of planned purchases. Richard, I'm right with you on 2001 as that title was my primary reason for moving ahead with HD DVD at this point.

Dave, I realize Excalibur was filmed soft with difficult lighting sequences, etc. but it still is in need of significant work from what I hear. The existing masters on video still suck in my estimation and if they are being used then I think we're being done a slight disservice here. I would never have considered it as a demo disc in any case.

I suppose the inherent increased resolution of HD still makes it worthwhile I don't know. I will put that decision off for now. I'm getting the sampler disc soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks