Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung DLP Randomly Turning Off

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   ChadFetter

ChadFetter

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted November 07 2007 - 12:05 AM

I have had my 61" DLP for about three years now, and lately, it has been randomly turning off by itself. I can just turn the TV back on and it seems to work fine, but why would it be turning itself off?

It should be any type of overheating problem. It happened first thing this morning after being off all night, and withing five minutes it turned itself off. I turned it back on, and it has been on for the last hour without turning off again.

Thanks in advance.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted November 07 2007 - 12:49 AM

I have the same TV and have had it about the same amount of time.

Maybe it is the TV telling you the light bulbs is about to go? They only last 3 years or so.

I would pick up a spare just in case.

Dave

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   DaveHo

DaveHo

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted November 07 2007 - 01:36 AM

Could be some stray IR messing with it. Are the batteries in any of your remotes getting low? Do you have an IR repeater system that might be picking up stray RF & converting it to random IR signals?

-Dave

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted November 07 2007 - 01:39 AM

Same problem with my 50" model, two years old. I purchased an extended warranty with the set and the service tech is due this Friday; I'll post findings as soon as I get 'em, but DaveHo may be on to something as I do have a repeater system.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted November 09 2007 - 02:53 AM

make sure that if it has a air filter, that it is clean.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted November 10 2007 - 02:33 AM

The tech came out and of course the set did not cooperate in displaying the problem. His suggestion was replacing the power module and the lamp, which he ordered but I wasn't too happy since they had a description of the problem before he arrived; why not bring the parts along? Posted Image

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   baxel

baxel

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted November 10 2007 - 09:20 AM

I had this same problem and I asked about the power module and the lamp. I think the circuit board (pcb assembly)was replaced and then I had to have it recalibrated.