What's new

Warner: suggestions for Forbidden Hollywood Volume 3 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I stated this thread so that members can post their suggestions for a volume 3 boxset of these great classic films made before the code system grabbed hold of Hollywood. I'll be back later with my suggestions, but feel free to add your suggestions.

Crawdaddy

Charles H

Screenwriter
I would hope that "Forbidden Hollywood" would extend to politically provocative films, as well as sexually, provocative films. Politically: GABRIEL OVER THE WHITE HOUSE, TWO SECONDS, MEN MUST FIGHT, THE WET PARADE, WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD, DYNAMITE, HEROES FOR SALE, A MODERN HERO. Sexually: SAFE IN HELL, MADAM SATAN, SCARLET DAWN, FRISCO JENNY, THE RISE AND FALL OF SUSAN LENOX, THE SIN OF MADELINE CLAUDE, THE BARBARIAN, SKYSCRAPER SOULS, MIDNIGHT MARY, EMPLOYEES ENTRANCE, THE MATCH KING....anything with Loretta Young or Warren Williams. I would accept any reason to bring the extraordinary GOLDEN DAWN out on dvd. I am pleased that Volume 2 contains some audio commentaries: these films mandate historical context, but I am disappointed that the selections thus far are portaled over from previous vhs releases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If they were portaled over from previous vhs releases then how come they are coming out eleven years after the dawn of the dvd format?

Some of the complaints expressed on this forum leaves me shaking my head and I have to wonder why Warner even bothers trying to get our input on future releases.

Crawdaddy

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I know that I (and a lot of my friends) would like to see Al Jolson's Wonder Bar released as part of this series. It would probably be its only opportunity to see the light of day on DVD. The VHS is currently selling at outrageous prices.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
My #1 choice would be the 1931 Best Picture nominee Five Star Final starring Edward G. Robinson and Boris Karloff.

Corey

Screenwriter
-Possessed
-Our Betters
-Dance, Fools, Dance
-Strangers May Kiss
-Men In White
-Riptide
-Ladies They Talk About
-Wonder Bar
-Our Modern Maidens
-Double Harness
-Ex Lady
-Blessed Event
-Frisco Jenny
-The Purhase Price
-Blonde Crazy
-Scarlet Dawn
-Heroes For Sale
-Illicit
-Strange Love of Molly Louvain
-Havana Windows
-Big Business Girl
-They Call It Sin
-Paid
-I've Go Your Number
-Beauty and the Boss
-Employee's Entrance
-Skyscraper Souls

Gotta have some Kay Francis:
-Dr. Monica
-Mary Stevens, MD
-Mandalay
-Jewel Robbery

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Robert,

I'm not positive, but I think that you may have mis-interpreted Charles' comment.

I think he was stating that he was upset that we were not seeing any titles that are new to home video, only titles that had been previously released.

Either way, I can't wait to get some more of these in my grubby little hands.

I'm not nearly as knowledgable on these titles as many others on this forum, but I do know that I get a kick out of watching them.:)

Charles H

Screenwriter
The reason that these "Forbidden Hollywood" titles are finally coming to dvd isa because of budget constraints. I am certain that dvds of EXECUTIVE SUITE and I'LL CRY TOMORROW--both DVD Decision nominees--have been on the back burner for several years. But let's face it: Budget problems in all the studio (Universal, MGM, Sony, Paramount) departments are the reasons why there is no new classics news and the WB releases for November, December, January, and February (with the Joan Crawford releases all previously represented on LD/VHS) are conspicuously scarce and reflect the paucity of newly-remastered product. This is particularly evident at MGM's recycled, regurgitated, remarketed, and repackaged, Anniversary editions and unlike WB, they are sitting on terrific titles (PARIS BLUES, SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL, MAN OF THE WEST, , SOLOMAN AND SHEBA, THE OFFENCE, TARAS BULBA) that did have VHS antecedants. It will be great to see NIGHT NURSE and THREE ON A MATCH out on dvd, but I hope that the day will come when dvd classics producers can afford to think outside the VHS box...as Fox has done.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Charles,
Yet, I have Executive Suite and I'll Cry Tomorrow on dvd. I find your criticism of Warner interesting since there are more obvious targets for your disppointment.

Crawdaddy

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Eric, thanks to coming to my defense! Corey- thanks for mentioning the scandalous Our Betters (especially with the gay dance instructor whose very appearance shocked the censors and that last line!)

Mr Crawford, why are you picking on those who see things a little different from you? Me and Charles H merely made suggestions as what should be released due to the historical and social values of the films in question. Of course we have to consider whether or not the films themselves are physically ready for DVD release- that goes without saying. Last time I checked, we were living in a democracy, and have a right to voice our opinions in a mature manner. I merely felt that there were some better films like Five Star Final that should have been chosen for the second set. Believe me, at the next Warner chat I will definitely ask Mr. Feltenstein about that film and other pre-Code titles.

Charles H

Screenwriter
What I was saying was in defense of WB. We--as consumers--have to face some hard facts: WB is releasing 5 discs in January, 5 discs in February, and 3 discs in March. We will be lucky to get 60 titles released in 2008. These guys are operating on a tighter budget than 2007, and they have to anticipate what titles will or will not sell. They have to make tough decisions as to print quality (e.g., release THE NAKED SPUR as is or wait for better prints) or if there is a niche for Jean Harlow as opposed to Bogart and Davis in THREE ON A MATCH and Gable and Stanwyck in NIGHT NURSE). I would love to see some of the films that I mentioned, but I realize that they can't afford it now. And maybe, never will.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
First off, you ever asked yourself why Warner is the only studio willing to do chats any longer? Because the studios have grown tired of some of the comments they have received from various posters not only on this forum, but other internet outlets. If any of you bemoan the fact that studios or industry folks don't participate any longer on the internet then perhaps it might be time for a few of you to take a good look in the mirror. Secondly, nobody is saying you can't express your opinion, but this forum isn't a democracy so please spare me the "free speech" rhetoric. With that said, if any of us want the studios or industry folks to interact with us then we need to be a little more cognizant of being realistic with our expectations while being fair with our criticism to those that are still trying to give us film buffs some classic film product.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Charles,
Do we know that's all that is coming out in the first quarter of next year? I think we need to be a little more patient and perhaps some greater light will be shed from Warner when they have their chat with us early next year. I do agree with you that the budgetary restraints might be greater due to studio pressures to release more recent titles onto HD formats. Furthermore, if we want more classic titles on dvd then we need to continue to purchase it, otherwise, less units moved equals less future product released later on.

Crawdaddy

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator
Possesed(1931)
Dance, Fools, Dance(1931)
The Cabin in the Cotton (1932)
Illicit (1931) & Ex-Lady (1933)
Jimmy the Gent (1934)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My suggestions in no particular order:
  • The Bachelor Father
  • Private Lives
  • The Big House
  • The Mouthpiece
  • Five and Ten
  • Lady Killer
  • Smart Money
  • Five Star Final
  • Picture Snatcher
  • Possessed
  • Red Dust
  • When Ladies Meet
  • Ladies They Talk About
  • The Beast of the City
  • The Secret Six
  • Letty Lynton
  • 20,0000 Years in Sing Sing

Crawdaddy

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
My simple suggestions are for another Norma Shearer disc in the next set. She is, however, one of the big names in pre-code film. My suggestions:

1. Strangers May Kiss (1931)
2. Let Us Be Gay (1930)
3. Private Lives (1931)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
What Price Hollywood
Professional Sweetheart
Private Lives
Let Us be Gay
Paid
Dance Fools, Dance
Illicit
Strangers May Kiss
Possessed
Lady Killer
Red Dust
Employee's Entrance
Big Business Girl
Letty Lynton (dreaming about this one)
Jimmy the Gent
Heroes for Sale
Purchase Price
Taxi!
Blonde Crazy
Our Modern Maidens
They Call it Sin
Ladies they Talk About

Corey

Screenwriter

I became mesmerized with Connie Bennett after seeing her in Our Betters. She definitely didn't talk like she was from Joisey. What Price Hollywood would be a good choice, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks