-

Photo
- - - - -

CARS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 Raul Marquez,MD

Raul Marquez,MD

Second Unit

• 288 posts
  • LocationSan Juan, Puerto Rico (USA)

Posted November 04 2007 - 02:13 PM

Just a quick one here.... Managed to get a copy of Disney/Pixar's CARS in Blu-ray (of course) today (don't ask....I won't tell). This is one all Blu-ray player owners should get this coming Tuesday. The image quality is simply SUPERB and INCREDIBLE! (hmm.... speaking of incredible..... I wonder when THE INCREDIBLES will finally be released on Blu-ray...) Posted Image

Anyway, don't pass up on this one, THIS IS TRULY A REFERENCE QUALITY DISC!

#2 of 32 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted November 04 2007 - 04:21 PM

I hope it looks every bit as good as the previews we all saw on some blu-ray disks.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#3 of 32 Raul Marquez,MD

Raul Marquez,MD

Second Unit

• 288 posts
  • LocationSan Juan, Puerto Rico (USA)

Posted November 04 2007 - 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Joseph
I hope it looks every bit as good as the previews we all saw on some blu-ray disks.
It does. Trust me, this is one title many of us will be using to show off our systems.

#4 of 32 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,489 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 05 2007 - 05:34 AM

I was absolutely blown away by the demo of this that Best Buy had running on the new 52" 120 Hz LCD about a month ago. It looked like a moving painting.

Heck, even on DVD this is probably the most beautiful animated film I've ever seen (certainly the prettiest CGI film).
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 32 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,182 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted November 05 2007 - 04:45 PM

Personally, I'm looking forward to getting both "CARS" and "RATITOUILLE" on BD tomorrow, along with Pixars short films collection! This is gonna be a really good week for viewing CGI animation.Posted Image Posted Image

#6 of 32 Averry

Averry

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted November 06 2007 - 01:02 AM

I'm listening to a band called the Blood Brothers, and I must say, watching those bannanas dance to it is quite entertaining.

[/useless post of the day]
My expectations on Jurassic Park in HD. I better fricken BE THERE!

#7 of 32 HighDefDiscNews

HighDefDiscNews

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted November 06 2007 - 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Marquez,MD
Just a quick one here.... Managed to get a copy of Disney/Pixar's CARS in Blu-ray (of course) today (don't ask....I won't tell). This is one all Blu-ray player owners should get this coming Tuesday. The image quality is simply SUPERB and INCREDIBLE! (hmm.... speaking of incredible..... I wonder when THE INCREDIBLES will finally be released on Blu-ray...) Posted Image

Anyway, don't pass up on this one, THIS IS TRULY A REFERENCE QUALITY DISC!
Brad Bird said he had no clue when The Incredibles was headed to Blu-ray but it is planned as they unveiled that night during the Hollywood Social Event launch of Ratatouile and Cars on Blu-ray Disc. I agree that Cars does look amazing in High Def, the reflections especially! Still working on my Review for it, I put Ratatouille ahead of it for obvious reasons.
Justin Sluss of HighDefDiscNews.com

#8 of 32 HighDefDiscNews

HighDefDiscNews

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted November 06 2007 - 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averry
I'm listening to a band called the Blood Brothers, and I must say, watching those bannanas dance to it is quite entertaining.

[/useless post of the day]

I don't think you'll be seeing Jurassic Park on HD DVD or anything anytime soon... Nor will your EMO-self "be there" LOL!

Posted Image
Justin Sluss of HighDefDiscNews.com

#9 of 32 Shawn.F

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted November 06 2007 - 10:15 PM

I popped in both Pixar flicks for about ten minutes each last night and my jaw hit the floor as to how beautiful both of them looked. The Pixar shorts are on my wish list for Christmas. Posted Image

#10 of 32 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,069 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 07 2007 - 12:59 AM

On top of the impressive A/V quality, the interactive commentary (actually commentaries) is a mighty impressive extra. I would put it at the very top of any HD-specific special features I have seen, including the handful of IMEs I have viewed, and you don't even need a BD profile upgrade to enjoy it. It is not so much the technology employed to implement it as the intelligence with which it is assembled that impresses. It is actually a pretty straightforward extension of the branching commentaries Disney did on standard-def releases like "Atlantis" and "Treasure Planet" with an added slideshow aspect as well as the dashboard interface.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#11 of 32 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted November 07 2007 - 02:23 AM

Cars was a beautiful movie to watch even on standard dvd. The visuals/scenery and colours make it stand out so when I watched it late last night, I too was totally blown away. Damn! Check the scene where
Lightning & Sally take a drive to the Wheel Well Hotel. The detail is astonishing from the cactus and shrubs to the sand, rocks and the cars themselves, which have very shiny, clean, solid primary colours to them
I can't imagine how another transfer can top this one.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#12 of 32 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted November 07 2007 - 03:53 AM

The dvd was good, but the Lightning & Sally scene is finally truly jaw-dropping.

The beg. of this movie kicks so much ass it's not even funny. Got the same goosebumps I got in the theater. The nightime race with the shadows and reflections on the cars adds to the illusion of reality. There is Pixar... then there is a gap the size of Monument Valley... then there is everyone else.

Played with the Cine-Explore feature and the Carfinder game for about 15 minutes each and both worked flawlessly on the PS3. The Cine-Explore looks pretty impressive actually.

#13 of 32 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,103 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 07 2007 - 07:06 AM

just a heads up.
These can be had for about $33 from amazon if purchased together.
Cars and Ratatoui, that is.
facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 32 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,489 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 07 2007 - 10:10 AM

Lightning and Sally's joyride is, visually speaking, one of my very favorite scenes in any movie ever. I didn't catch it in the theater, and I am DYING to see it in glorious HD!!!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#15 of 32 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted November 07 2007 - 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
The dvd was good, but the Lightning & Sally scene is finally truly jaw-dropping.

The beg. of this movie kicks so much ass it's not even funny. Got the same goosebumps I got in the theater. The nightime race with the shadows and reflections on the cars adds to the illusion of reality. There is Pixar... then there is a gap the size of Monument Valley... then there is everyone else.

Played with the Cine-Explore feature and the Carfinder game for about 15 minutes each and both worked flawlessly on the PS3. The Cine-Explore looks pretty impressive actually.

I agree this film is really just stunning, and another great effort from Pixar. They just don't make bad films.

The Cine-expore feature worked well if a little slow on my Samsung. The Carfinder game worked okay, but very slow making it hard to click the car when you see it. The it got to a partucular point, gave me a black screen and I had to eject the disc to get out of it.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#16 of 32 STARKILLER1138

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted November 08 2007 - 07:54 AM

The PQ on this was beyond incredible. Unreal is more like it:

(Eat your heart out hd-dvd Posted Image )
Posted Image

An absolute must for anyone with a BR player. KA-CHOW!

#17 of 32 Adam_R

Adam_R

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted November 08 2007 - 08:23 AM

I agree. I watched the beginning of Cars today and it's just incredible. My Sammy DLP is doing a GREAT job at showing those AMAZING colors. The level of detail visible on the wide shots of the stadium is just astounding. Pixar is truly the best. I can't wait to see the other discs, and you can bet I'll be buying each and every one of their Bluray releases.
Guess what...

#18 of 32 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 09 2007 - 02:00 AM

Can't wait to get my copy (hopefully my screener will arrive today for Cars and Shorts on BD).

Disney has consistently pushed AVC to the max... sometimes the video bit-rate on their AVC titles peaks over 40 mbps... often averaging in the high 20s or 30s depending on the title. Certainly the sharpest and most detailed high-def images I've seen on any format have been high-bit-rate AVC encodes.

I just can't wait. Now to get my own 1080p projector (been taking discs to my friend's house to view on his 1080p machine... that's getting old fast!)
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#19 of 32 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted June 22 2008 - 04:30 PM

I only own 9 BD titles so far (large collections all begin with those first baby stepsPosted Image) and Cars i'm proud to say is one of them.

Watched it today on my 60" Mitsubishi and I couldn't believe my freakin' eyes! Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#20 of 32 Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,379 posts

Posted June 23 2008 - 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
I only own 9 BD titles so far (large collections all begin with those first baby stepsPosted Image) and Cars i'm proud to say is one of them.

Watched it today on my 60" Mitsubishi and I couldn't believe my freakin' eyes! Posted Image

Hammer,

If you think Cars looked good, wait till you see Ratatouille. Simply jaw dropping. Watched it the other night and was glued to the screen. Detail was amazing. IMHO I think it's a bit better then Cars.

Pixar on Blu-Ray is going to be nothing short of spectacular. I will upgrade each one as they come out.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow