What's new

More Pre-Codes From Warners On March 4, 2008 (1 Viewer)

JohnPM

Second Unit
Came across the following at the Classic Horror Film Boards:

On March 4, Warner Home Video (WHV) will introduce a second group of sassy and taboo films from Hollywood's Pre-Production Code era with the DVD debut of TCM Archives: Forbidden Hollywood Volume 2. Following the success of last year's Volume 1, this new 3-disc collection will contain five pre-code sizzlers, with some of Hollywood's biggest stars. Disc One spotlights Norma Shearer in her Best Actress Oscar®-winning role as The Divorcee and again in A Free Soul; with Lionel Barrymore and Clark Gable. Disc Two features Bette Davis, Joan Blondell and Ann Dvorak in Three on a Match paired with the Michael Curtiz-directed comedy Female starring Ruth Chatterton as a no-nonsense CEO. Disc Three features William Wellman's powerful drama Night Nurse, which stars Barbara Stanwyck with a very young Clark Gable, along with the new documentary feature Thou Shalt Not: Sex, Sin and Censorship in Pre-Code Hollywood. The film provides fascinating insight into the American psyche of late 1920s and early 1930s, illustrating why, more than seventy years later, the so-called "Pre-Code" movies remain among the most vital and provocative films ever made. Each of the features contained in TCM Archives: Forbidden Hollywood Volume 2 have been digitally remastered from newly-restored film elements. The collection also contains bonus features such as commentaries and theatrical trailers. The three DVD set, containing the five vintage classics and the new documentary feature will be available as a collection only, selling for $49.92 SRP.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Fantastic work there John!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Looks absolutely wonderful. This one has been anticipated for ages. 2008 is looking the goods already :D

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Announcimg March already??? So Joan CrawfordV2 is all for Feb? WB is slowing down to a snails crawl!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven't seen an official announcement yet so I wouldn't assume that the Crawford V2 is the only release in Feb and that they're slowing down to a snails crawl.

Crawdaddy

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I think this is a great selection and I hope the set sells very well, so we can have, at least, more volumes. This pre-ore era is so rich of great titles that I want to have as much of them as possible.
I'm also concerned about the March release date. Hopefully the Gangster Collection volume is set for the second half of february and Crawford will not stand alone in thiat month.

Corey

Screenwriter
This is great. The Normaphiles have had their prayers answered, lol. This sounds like a great set, but I remember WB saying their would be 6 films.

Corey

Screenwriter

:D You're right. I forgot we get 2 sets per year now.

We're getting March announcements, but still haven't gotten any for January.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Glorious news - all terrific titles and that new documentary sounds fabulous!!! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, there are some film commentaries for a couple of these films which is what some of us have been asking for.

Crawdaddy

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I believe this documentary aired on TCM around the time the last box of Precode classics was released, and I was surprised the documentary wasn't included in that set. Glad to see it's going to be in this one.

And it's a very thorough analysis of the period. I'm really looking forward to getting this release with terrific films and this wonderful bonus.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
A little dissent here: I'm very disappointed the great Five Star Final with Edward G. Robinson and Boris Karloff wasn't included. This film is without a doubt the best cinematic exploration of the evils of tabloid journalism I have ever seen, even the much-lauded Ace In The Hole pales by comparison. This 1931 film was a Best Picture nominee at the Academy Awards and deserves a DVD release. Catch it on TCM whenever it's shown- you can thank me later.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Perhaps, it will be included in the Robinson boxset that's coming in the future. Furthermore, for every film included in this boxset, you can make a case for five other films to be included instead. Warner can't make us all happy at once.

Edit: I stated this thread so that members can add their suggestions to what films should be included in the next pre-code boxset. Hopefully, Warner will take notice, but remember issues such as film element conditions, budgetary concerns and timing do come into play here so without a doubt some of us won't get our wishes even in the next boxset.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks