What's new

EL CID (2 disc) release date: 1/29 (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
MOVIES UNLIMITED is taking pre-orders for a 1/29 release of EL CID: 2 discs with audio commentary, featurettes, interviews, trailers. A "Collector's Edition" will also be available in a box with a book containing photos and historical articles.

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator
This is the news I've been waiting for since the launch of DVD 10 years ago. I hope this means that the other Bronston epics won't be far behind.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic news indeed.

It's incredible what kind of movies Heston was making during the 1950s and 1960s.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Titles like this are what high def was created for. I hope it does come out on one of the formats(preferably both).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Even if it's not Hi-Def (too bad!), I will order the 2-disc set ($27.96 at DVD Planet; anyone seen a better on-line price?). This also sparkles hopes for 55 Days at Peking and The Fall of the Roman Empire. I've been waiting for these three so long, I'm glad the first one appears finally.

Would be marvellous HD sets indeed!

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I first saw it in a theater when I was 19 - twice.
Own a VHS version.

Cees

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I first saw it on the telly... when I was about 13. :)

I still have it on tape somewhere, and Rozsa's incredible music score on LP & CD.

Steve

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Douglas R and ken New, I couldn't agree more. This is absolutely the number one DVD that I've been waiting for for years. As the release date gets closer, I'll be looking for the differences between the two editions before buying.

As there are other Chuck Heston fans in this thread, can anyone give me a rundown on The Warlord? It was out on DVD six years ago, but it has gone out of production. Used, it was selling for $80+(!) on Amazon last month, and now it is going for $50, a little too pricey for a blind buy. I didn't have any luck in the trade/buy used section of this site.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The Warlord is a very good film IMO but for $50 I wouldn't recommend a blind-buy to someone unless money isn't an issue.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Does the Weinstein company have a decent track record for good transfers for old films?

I'm not sure if I should pre-order this, or wait to see some reviews.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
They haven't released many old films, but their Shaw Brothers discs have been stellar. If their treatment of the Bronston films is anything like their DVDs of KING BOXER and ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN, I think everyone will be happy.

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis

The Warlord DVD was 2.35:1 but non-anamorphic. The picture (for a non-anamorphic) is fairly good with some nice colours. But some scenes seem very grainy and the print is dirty in places.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks