What's new

Holloween (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I bought the eight Films and the DVD of the first one is missing a scene. After Michael Myers is found by his parents, the Next scene should be of Dr Loomis protesting his placement in the sanitarium due to its lack of Security ...he then goes to Michaels Hospital Room and says "You've fooled them Haven't you Michael? But not me."

But the DVD of Holloween I got from Best Buy goes from that Scene straight to Loomis and the nurse driving in 1978 to get him

What Gives ???

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

That scene was never a part of the original theatrical release, but was shot to pad the running time of Halloween when it ran on network television; it was shot around the time Halloween II was being filmed.

All official, theatrical versions of Halloween will not contain this scene as it's not considered part of the original film. That said, Anchor Bay did make available a "special extended edition" of Halloween that incorporated the additional footage, but I don't know if that's in print anymore.

--Jack

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
You need to track down one of these two releases:

Anchor Bay 2-Disc Limited Edition with Lenticular Cover Art (Out-of-Print):

Anchor Bay Extended Edition (Also Out-of-Print):

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, the first time I saw Holloween Was in the early 1990's when I turned 17. The Scene in question was on the Video cassette I rented from the video store

And if you watch the Holloween 25 years of Terror documentary, you'll find the scene is at least partially referred to

The documentary also finds Mr. Akaad being asked about the plot line for a 9th film ..wonder what direction they'll go now that Jamie Lee Curtis was killed off

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, when Media released it on VHS in the early 1980's, their initial release had the TV scenes edited into the movie. Later, this was corrected so the theatrical version (which is Carpenter's preferred version of the movie) was available. Of course, this made the VHS with the TV scenes a pricey collectible until Criterion's laserdisc- with the scenes available as a supplement or you could program your player to skip around to the TV scenes and back to the proper movie- was released.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Not quite. Actually, Media's first release on VHS was the theatrical version. But it was a travesty. Instead of pan 'n' scan, it was a supremely lazy center-only extraction. No panning at all. If it was on the sides, it was gone. Many scenes were ruined, like the one where Michael is watching PJ Soles and boyfriend make out on the couch. He just wasn't in the shot anymore. Also, this release pre-dated VHS hi-fi.

For their second release, they found an excellent video transfer, with competent cropping and good color and light balance. And it was released in hi-fi. Unfortunately, it was the television version. And I mean the television version, including all the cuts NBC asked for.

There were later releases from "Video Treasures" (Media's successor) which again went back to the theatrical cut, but were often recorded at slower speeds.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

I remember when Anchor Bay released the 2-Disc Limited Edition DVD (September 14, 1999) and some people were actually complaining because the TV edition didn't have the NBC cuts removing the profanity, nudity, and violence. I couldn't believe that.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon

Well, of course, the "real" tv version includes those scenes, those cuts, and about 50% of the image.

And by golly, if AB had mentioned that they had the widescreen copies of the deleted scenes, but only wanted to give fans the "true tv version" by pan and scanning them, there would have (rightly so IMHO) been hell to pay.

DVD fans, can't live with us, can't kill us. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks