What's new

Best Players (HD-DVD and/or BluRay) for Component Only TV (1 Viewer)

Rob Peloski

Agent
Hello

I appologize if this has been asked before.

I'm one of those early adopters who has a TV that has no DVI/HDMI. It accepts 480i, 480p, 1080i over the component (720p gets downconverted).

Wondering if there is hope as far as players that would work on my TV. I'm not so concerned about DVD upconvert over Component (would be nice) but I'd like the "HD" format discs whether 720p or 1080i/p to be spit out as 1080i for my TV.

Thanks in advance!

Greg Black

Second Unit
Hi Rob,

I am using the Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player over component at 1080i, and the picture quality is fantastic. The previous model, the HD-A2 should produce the same results, but they are in extremely short supply due to the price drops which occurred within the last couple of days. It's unknown whether or not stores will be restocking. But, I can say that the A3 is a great machine. I was able to purchase it on sale at Best Buy's web site for $199, and they are also running a special where you can choose two free HD DVD discs of your choice (each needs to be $35.99 and under). That's in addition to the free copies of The Bourne Identity and 300 that are included in the box. I believe that this sale and free disc promo ends tomorrow, Sunday 11/04.

It is an exciting time to be a fan of high definition movies!

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Thanks for the heads-up on the Best Buy offer, Greg. I just placed my order for the HD-A3 and my two extra DVDs. Nine HD-DVDs all together that if I paid online prices for them would almost add up to the cost of the player. Really nice deal.

Finally my HDTV will have something HD on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks