What's new

What are your most wanted abandoned series? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
These are my most wanted series that I fear the studios may have abandoned:

Leave It To Beaver - Seasons 3-6 still not released
Cheers - Seasons 9, 10 & 11
Amazing Stories - This only has the second season left.
Growing Pains - Only the first season was released and that was maybe 18 months ago.
Dream On - The first and second season was packaged together but again it was a long time ago that it was released.
Three's A Crowd and The Ropers - I know not technically Three's Company but they still should be released since they did release the whole series.

Come on studios, finish what you started!!!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
The Nanny
Green Acres
Dragnet 1968-70
McMillan & Wife
Night Gallery
Malcom in the Middle
The Big Valley
Night Court

A lot of good shows left by the wayside, don't you think?

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
McCloud
Kojak
Quincy
Hill Street Blues
Cagney and Lacey
Simon and Simon
Hart to Hart
Columbo Mystery Movies (unsure)
McMillan and Wife
NYPD Blue

Sadly, I don't think they'll ever see the light and release all of these, be lucky to get 2 out... make that 1.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Have Gun--Will Travel
The Rifleman
Night Gallery
The Partridge Family
Naked City
The Big Valley

"The Rifleman" and "Naked City" were never actually abandoned, I suppose. Contractual issues prevented the remaining episodes from seeing a release. The most glaringly abandoned series for me is "Have Gun--Will Travel", which oddly enough is being released from Paramount, the studio with the best track record for unveiling 50s and 60s era TV shows on DVD.

Fox did fans in with "The Big Valley" by splitting seasons and then charging the same as a full season. Consumers balked and rather than right their wrong, Fox just flipped everyone the bird.

As for "Night Gallery", fans were expecting a bit more at an equitable price considering the skimpy premiere season. A somewhat poorly conceived set by Universal, who had unrealistic sales expectations considering product value.

With the "The Partridge Family", well Sony is Sony and this company is pretty much reveiled by everyone, be they consumers for tv/dvd, gaming or electronics. I'm surprised Sony is even still in business, quite honestly.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Bob Newhart and Mary Tyler Moore since those were my annual Christmas gifts to the folks.

Green Acres & Partridge Family. I want the episode with the monkey jockeys.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Great thread, Jonathan! We've all got a list for this one.

ADAM-12 ("One-Adam 12....respond.....still Code 7?")
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

BIG VALLEY (I hope Mike's wrong about it but it's not looking good. I'm surprised since it was a hit in the 60's and included some big-name stars.)

FANTASY ISLAND (This one's a mystery. I had figured it would sell enough...wait...Sony's still in business :laugh: )

FLIPPER ? May be too soon to consider it dead.

GREEN ACRES ? Again, a mystery here.

HILL STREET BLUES Man, I want more of this one big-time.

LEAVE IT TO BEAVER (*edit*) I can't believe I forgot that one! I can hear Gary all the way to Texas :laugh:

RAWHIDE (guessing, but I think there's more on the way)

WHO'S THE BOSS (a long wait...so far...nothing more)

My list isn't as long as a lot of HTF'ers here but I have several series that aren't complete where it's a 50-50 decision whether to continue buying sets. Regarless of my decisions on those, I want to see them available for others here.

It's not the thread topic but my list for un-released shows is longer than the abandoned list.

Jeff "Remember...it ain't over till it's over.....Barney Miller S2" W.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
For me, Universal is the biggest problem . . . .

One season only for "Dragnet" (color, late 1960s version), "Adam-12," and "Kojak," and just two seasons of "Leave it to Beaver."

Warner and Fox really haven't released much in the way of vintage, pre-1970 series (the era in which I have the most interest), but it looks like Warner's "Cheyenne" is probably "one and done" and the issues surrounding Fox's inept handling of "The Big Valley" have already been documented.

I don't buy very much in the way of Sony or MGM's TV-on-DVD releases so I don't have much issue with them regarding series completion though, for the sake of vintage fans, it would be nice to see more of "Hazel" from Sony.

My only worry about Paramount is that they have so many balls up in the air right now (at least in terms of quality, vintage releases), that something might get dropped down the line.

As far as the independents are concerned, A&E is probably the most maddening for me. "Peter Gunn" is done (not even a complete season) and there are several British shows that are hanging; "Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)" and "The Champions" have only had a half (of one) season release and "The Saint" has some black & white episodes that are still MIA.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Bob, I agree about Uni. I don't know why they seem to be in the race with Sony :frowning:

I bought that R2 Saint B/W complete set on a tip from MikeKS. Great buy.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
THE NANNY
GREEN ACRES
MARY TYLER MOORE
BIG VALLEY
MCMILLAN & WIFE
CHARLIE'S ANGELS
PARTRIDGE FAMILY
HART TO HART
BEVERLY HILLBILLIES
PETTICOAT JUNCTION
LIFE GOES ON
MURPHY BROWN
ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE
ONCE AND AGAIN

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Jeff, I completely agree with you about Hill Street Blues aswell, it seems there are loads of fans wanting further releases, possibly out of any other show being abandoned... But FOX is being tight..

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
It should be pretty obvious since I started a topic on this series...Cagney & Lacey!

I would also say Hart to Hart and The Facts Of Life but I think they will be released slowly by Sony.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Night Gallery
McMillan & Wife
Kojack
Quincy M.E.
Dragnet
Baretta

Mary Tyler Moore
The Partridge Family

by far for me it's the Universal stuff (i'd even happily take 1/2 seasons at a time, if thats what it took)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks