Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Just got my new iPod Touch!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,724 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted October 30 2007 - 04:25 PM

I have a few questions:

1. Speaker doesn't seem to work. I have selected speaker and have selected "both" in the Sound Effects menu. is there anything else I would need to do to get that working? I have the most up to date software installed, by the way. Is my unit perhaps just a dud?

2. No dock! I'm surprised that there is no dock that was included in the box. Instead there are two plastic things included. One is simply a clear plastic stand. The other is a white plastic piece that looks like it could be a dock, but I don't really see any use for it. The white plastic piece has a receptacle that is the same size as the bottom of the iPod, and all that happens is that the USB charger plugs into the iPod through the bottom of the white plastic "dock piece". Am I missing an attachment, or am I just stupid?

I'm slowly but surely geting up to speed with this unit. It is extremely cool and I'm definitely diggin' it, there are just those issues I have currently.

For those that don't have one, there are a few things I would like to see. First, there could be hard volume buttons near the home button. Second would be a dedicated back button. If you are in settings and want to go in to Safari, you don't hit "back" to get to the home page, you just hit home. I keep thinking that the iPod is multitasking when I do this, it's just hard to get used to. Other than my issues reported above, this is a fantastic toy!! I hope I can find WIFI at work that is unsecured!!! Posted Image

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Len Cheong

Len Cheong

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 06:29 PM

When you are playing music or watching a video, the volume bar is
on the bottom. Just touch and drag to the desired level.
len cheong

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted October 31 2007 - 05:57 AM

Re: Dock. Apple stopped including docks in their iPod boxes a couple of years ago. The white plastic piece is a dock adapter. If you buy an Apple Universal Dock the adapter snaps into it to provide a snug fit for your Touch. All iPods these days come with the dock adapters (except the Shuffle, which doesn't have the standard dock connector port and has its own mini-dock). There are many third-party products which also accept the dock adapters.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 31 2007 - 07:24 AM

The speaker is only used for the little feedback squeaks. Not audio playback.

The touch is the best iPod I've ever used, I dont get at ALL the people who trash it...

Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,724 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted October 31 2007 - 01:56 PM

The VOLUME control!!!! darn! why didn't I think of that!?

Thanks Sam, I couldn't find a speaker, but it was the software options that confused me. I love this thing. Definitely very cool. I just wish there was more wifi... including at work!! Posted Image

ahh well, it's great thing to take to the bathroom to read the news... Posted Image

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 02 2007 - 03:52 AM

Hahah no doubt. I've had my sister and parents install wifi at their houses so I can surf from their respective couches =) And Houlihans now has free wifi too =)

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted November 02 2007 - 04:26 AM

Quote:
The white plastic piece is a dock adapter.

I've always wanted to know that thing was that came with my Nano. Thanks.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,724 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted November 03 2007 - 12:13 PM

is there such a thing as an iPod Dock accessory that is also a USB 2.0 hub?