What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Spider-Man 3 (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
ronsreviews_covers_88900.jpg">

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Of course, the thread title should read "Spider-Man 3" instead of "Spiderman 3."

At least I got it right in the review itself.

It looks like Ron fixed the title of the thread for me!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Richard: Thanks for the review. This will be one of the first titles on which I will be putting my new Blu-ray player (courtesy of the HTF Survey contest) through it's full paces. I am extremely curious to experiment with both the audio and video portions of this disc based on your raves.

And, the title is a blind buy for me as this falls into a huge group of movies which I meant to see in the theater this summer and did not.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Thanks for the review. I spent this evening viewing Spiderman 3, which I didn't see in theaters, and thought it was better than the first two. I very much enjoyed it, it had some awesome special effects, the story was great, touching, and I especially liked the villians this time much better than before. Sandman is great, and Toby, I think, did his best acting this time around!

What really blew me away was the quality. This is the best looking and sounding blu-ray disc (or any disc) I have ever seen. Viewed on my 150" Elite screen with my Epson 1080 projector, it almost felt like I was watching a 3D movie. The PCM track stuns, some books fell off of the top of my subwoofer, hehe. Hats off to Sony.....wow! This was a rental disc, but now I am considering buying the set.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Is this really worth to purchase? I mean I didn´t really liked the first one and even the second one was so-so.. Will I hate this one? Don´t want to spend money on this one, if it´s just "rent only"-type of flick.. But if I rent this, then I probably never buy it.. :)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'll be interested to hear more comparisons between the TrueHD and PCM tracks. A couple people now have mentioned preferring the PCM track, when the TrueHD should be technically superior. 24-bit vs 16-bit. I wonder if there are 2 different mixes.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Watched this last night via Netflix. I also never bothered to see it at the theater so this was my first (and last) time. Had pretty much the exact opposite reaction as Robert. I've always been extremely impressed with the second film and love the first half of the first film (and tolerate the second half).
Even though I felt like I knew what to expect, I was still somewhat excited to finally see it and was hoping people were just being hyper critical.

Fortunately, I just rejoined Netflix, and this rental already paid for the months subscription because prior to seeing this I was toying with the idea of buying the box set and just selling off the thrid movie if I didin't like. But actually watching it effectively killed any enthusiasm I might have had to even see the other two films again anytime soon. I ended up hating the film so much, I don't want to see these main characters again for a long, long time.
Its also insufferable (and kind of insulting) when the story is so shot full of contrivances and paper thin characters with cliched motivation, and yet has the nerve to think it can deliver morals with any kind of authority or sincerity.
It's entertainment like this that makes moral concepts like forgiveness in reality look like they are the sole province of rubes and morons.

Coming off a movie that I thought was a superior piece of popcorn entertainment, and something that agiley transcended the comic book superhero genre, I was very suprised at how stupid and sloppy and undisciplined the whole affair was here (just what the hell happened to that crane anyway? Everyone seemed to completely forget about it, including Raimi).

On the other hand, I have to commend Sony on the technical qualities of the disc. The Video is beyond reproach, and is about as reference an image as I have ever seen. I was using a Sony BDP300 so whatever was the default audio was what I listened to and it sounded fine (I'm using analog outs, but didn't specifically select any audio set up).

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Saw SM3 in the theaters, and even though I ordered the collection, I probably will avoid rewatching it. Once was enough. Loved 1, thought 2 was pretty good and thought 3 was the pits. Just my opinion:) though, and I am sure some would disagree.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

I didn't want to give away too much of the plot, but there's also the issue of Sandman and Venom teaming up. How did Venom know where to find Sandman? And they strike up an alliance in a matter of seconds? That scene seemed like it was just tacked on so they could have both villains appear in the finale.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer

I would suggest renting it. I loved it, there are others who think it's the best one, and then those who didn't like it at all. I am going to watch again after a week or so.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'm just an uber-dork, but I get a huge kick out of all of Bruce's cameos in these films. Let's not forget who gave him the name Spider-man (in the canon of these movies, anyway). :D

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks for the review! As a comic book fan I was a little let down with the direction they took the story. I didn't enjoy SM3 as much as the previous films but I did find it better than other big budget films I've seen recently. It gets a solid C+ in my book.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
You just brought back winning childhood memories of The Electric Company!

"You're OK in my book, Spider-Man!"

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
take out the jazz dance scene and the street strut, and I put this movie in a 3.5/5 star area.

I listened to a good portion of the star and film crew commentary and it is preetty good.
Church drops some good info.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I guess he just has it in for people who do a lot of swinging.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well I watched this last night, top marks for PQ and AQ. Toggled a bit back and forth between the TrueHD and PCM then settled for the PCM track which sounded a tad bit richer on my system.

Overall, the movie itself was enjoyable to me. Nowhere near the heights of SM2 for sure but definitely not the turd some people make it out to be (Any of these people see Ghost Rider or Electra for Chrissakes?). Even with of the Jazz club scene (WTF?) included I'd give it a :star::star::star: out of :star::star::star::star: for popcorn entertainment with the caveat that I'm a bit more forgiving with these types of films.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I also hated this film. Almost walked out. This film made X-Men 3 look like Citizen Cane. It started with a less than average story, and ended a jumbled mess of a motion picture, that made good actors look shockingly bad. Ugh.......but I still want to see the picture quality of this disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks