What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 5 (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Warner has yet to disappoint with their Looney Tunes set... the 5th volume was released today and it's excellent. All the cartoons look fantastic, especially the B&W cartoons. The extras are the usual interesting bunch, but the real stars are the preview cut of "Hare Ribbin'" (with the original ending) and the Mr. Hook cartoons. There's also quite a lot of cartoons with the original openings restored (The Trial of Mr. Wolf, The Bear's Tale, You Were Never Duckier, Holiday for Shoestrings, and Little Red Walking Hood). The original ending of Porky's Poppa has never been seen on video before, as even the older B&W version inexplicably took the final shot from the re-traced colorized version (with the color turned off).

Here's a couple of screenshots...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
looks great! I have it on pre-order, but I'm dreadfully behind on my cartoons, I still have the popeye set to watch.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I spent most of my time last night glancing over the mini-documentary supplements. The unsung directors segment was great, and it was very cool to see very clean clips of The Ducktators, which will hopefully surface on an upcoming set. Interesting that they chose original b&w footage from Tashlin's Porky Pig's Feat after featuring the digitally colored version in Volume 3.

I did watch a few PD shorts just to see the potential improvement. Eatin' On The Cuff, Scrap Happy Daffy, The Wacky Wabbit and A Tale of Two Kitties looked fabulous, but the color ones looked pretty saturated after years of Turner-sourced prints. Not complaining, it will just take some getting used to...

I was, however, disappointed big time in the SNAFU mini-doc, because it was blatantly obvious that most of the clips were lifted (unacknowledged) straight off of Bosko/Image's Private SNAFU disc, windowboxing intact. Several of these clips had been "enhanced" with excessive contrast almost to the point of being blinding.

Coming! Snafu was very jittery in video quality on the lower portion of the screen for some reason (progressive scan?)...I've done better with a modified Bell & Howell projector and a DV camcorder.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm really puzzled to why Warner Bros. doesn't use the National Archive's Snafu elements. On the "Treasures from American Film Archives" DVD set, the print used for "Spies" was from the camera negative and looked nearly flawless. I'd assume the rest of the cartoons are kept in similar condition there.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
So, what's screwed up/censored/misformatted/misflagged/generally bungled this time around? And when does the Replacement Program start?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

WB has had a great track record on the Looney Tunes sets... I think besides interlacing issues on the 2nd volume (which has a replacement disc now), they haven't made any major screwups.

All the cartoons are confirmed to be uncut, barring issues with the Blue Ribbon re-issues...

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

A bit cynical are we?

Having only watched one short, I can say THAT looked great. I'll be watching more tonight. Based on the shorts listed, a great set.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Good grief - how could I forget this came out?! Looks like I'll be running over to Fry's later today. (And hopefully they finally have the BD of The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut.)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak

Well, I'm still hoping for a replacement on the SNAFU short "Goldbrick" in Volume 4 due to it's unusually slow play speed.

I bought this yesterday and loved it. I saw no noticable issues with the episodes. It's a definite must buy for any Looney Tunes fan.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Patrick - the Hitler shot from Scrap HappyDaffy reminds me of the commentary track anecdote from Mel Blanc, the other difference between the voices of Sylvester and Daffy...I won't mention it here, you'll have to check it out yourselves!

Daffy to Nasty Canasta:"I would like...(I would like? I would like a trip to Europe!)...I would like to introduce myself!"

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member

How did you guess?

But between the interlacing on volume 2 and the screwup after screwup on the Tom & Jerry sets, yes, I'm leery about their people handling animation.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
It should be noted that a small snippet of Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs is shown in the Fairly Tale documentary (Jerry Beck talks briefly about it)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

It's possible. In my mind, anything that is contained in the "From the Vault" sections on these discs is always open for another, more official release down the road.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Fry's was sold out, and Target and Circuit City didn't have it, so I just ordered it from amazon.com. Just shipped today and will likely have it by the end of the week! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks