-

Photo
- - - - -

Young Ones- Extra Stoopid Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   BrianJau

BrianJau

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 10:27 AM

This isn't due out until November 13th in the US, but a DVD set which appears to be the Region 2 equivalent has just come out in the UK. Reports from various message boards indicate that the episodes on the Region 2 set are exactly as originally aired and unedited. The music-copyright issues that resulted in edits on the old DVD set apparently were cleared up for this new set-Ken Bishop and his Nice Twelve singing "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and Neil singing "Hello darkness my old friend" have been restored. Incredibly, even small little incidental pieces of music, like a little bit of the Beatles' "Good Day Sunshine" that was used in one episode, are intact on the set.

Hopefully the Region 1 set will be the same; it looks like all the other extra features are the same for both sets, so there's no reason to believe the discs won't be identical. It really begs the question of why they released the first set to begin with, instead of making fans pay twice for what they should have gotten the first time around.

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 12:26 PM

Don't get too excited yet. Check out this discussion:
http://www.stevehoff....d.php?t=127358
There's a link there to an article about remastering of a Doctor Who program that originally featured Beatles recordings. New licensing rules in the UK allow the DVDs there to be presented as the show aired, but foreign territories get different masters.
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 383 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 05:16 PM

It's funny when I first heard about this set a long time ago they said it was going to be the same butchered cut, but with new bonus extras. It now looks like the exact opposite of that. I'm going to be careful that these are uncut before I buy the region one version.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,225 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 31 2007 - 03:03 AM

This is part of why I went region-free.

We need blanket licensing in this country.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted October 31 2007 - 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
We need blanket licensing in this country.
How exactly does that work anyway? The link I posted above was from someone asking how the licensing situation changed, but I don't think anyone got an answer...
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 383 posts

Posted October 31 2007 - 04:50 PM

One of the dumbest cuts I have seen on DVD was from the follow up to "The Young Ones" "Filthy, Rich and Catflap" (Region Two release) on the final episode Midge Ure shows up and Catflap for some reason thinks he is Sting and sings "Roxanne, you don't have to stick your message up a bottle" (not even getting the lyrics right). Thats all Filthy sings and they had to cut the whole bit and most of the scene out of the DVD. I mean that's not even a song and they still cut it out!

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Brian Manning

Brian Manning

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted November 14 2007 - 07:02 AM

Anyone have any more information about this? I've been waiting to even entertain the idea of double-dipping on this until someone could confirm that the Extra Stoopid set is any more complete than the set I have at home...

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   BrianJau

BrianJau

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted November 20 2007 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Manning
Anyone have any more information about this? I've been waiting to even entertain the idea of double-dipping on this until someone could confirm that the Extra Stoopid set is any more complete than the set I have at home...

IMDB and Amazon.com both seem to confirm that the R1 release is identical to the R2 release. I haven't gotten my hands on it yet, as no Border's in my area had a copy- I had to order it and I should be getting it in a few days. But I have confidence after what I've read online that all the music cuts from the previous DVD are restored on the new DVD.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted November 20 2007 - 12:17 PM

you have a link to the UK edition? Can't locate it on Amazon.co.uk?

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Brian Manning

Brian Manning

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted November 21 2007 - 05:33 AM

Well, I bit the bullet and took a chance with a double-dip (on the R1), and can happily confirm that the previously cut musical interludes (at least on one episode) are intact on this release. I watched most of "Cash", and Ken Bishop's Nice Twelve are there on the street singing "Subterranean Homesick Blues" which wasn't on the previous R1 release.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 383 posts

Posted November 21 2007 - 04:11 PM

When you get through the whole thing let us know if there are any cuts? Like Neil singing Hello darkness my old friend in the bathtub.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Brian Manning

Brian Manning

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 02:40 PM

Yep, it's there: Neil singing "Hello, Darkness" when Rick turns off the light in the bath. There seem to be a few little added bits in other episodes that I don't remember, but it has been a long while since I've watched these in their entirety...

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 383 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 02:44 PM

I guess I'll buy it and sell my old one on ebay. If you saw them on MTV you probably never saw them uncut, because they did censor it a bit and Comic Strip Presents.. too.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted November 24 2007 - 09:46 AM

So getting the "Extra Stoopid Edition" is worth it over "The Complete Collection"?

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   BrianJau

BrianJau

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted November 25 2007 - 05:00 AM

It's kind of an interesting situation- you may want to actually hold on to the "Every Stoopid Episode" set even if you buy the "Extra Stoopid" version.
Basically, this new "Extra Stoopid" edition features the episodes as they originally aired on TV. So all the original music is intact- besides the Ken Bishop and Hello Darkness bits, you get the little bit of "Good Morning Sunshine" at the beginning of "Bomb"; a Cliff Richard song at the beginning of "Demolition" which was removed for the video version (and resulted in all the dialogue in that scene having to be re-recorded); a song accompanying the digging scene in "Oil" which was also removed for the video version (and which caused a line of dialogue from Vivyan to be lost); and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", which plays under the scene where Rik finds a lion tamer in his room (This actually was cut for the video version, then restored for the first DVD).

However, since the "Every Stoopid Episode" DVD has what were essentially the video versions of the episodes, it actually contains a few scenes which AREN'T on the new DVD. There's an extra scene in "Nasty" where Rik finds two teddy bears copulating on his bed, and a little extra bit of Neil sneezing in "Sick". These scenes were never aired on TV, so they're not really officially part of the episodes, but they're nice to have. Also, the "Every Stoopid Episode" set has the first episodes of "Filthy Rich and Catflap" and "Bottom" on it ("Bottom" has since gotten a full R1 release, but FR&C hasn't).

Interestingly, in the episode "Time", there was originally a flash-frame (one of several used in the second series) of a man blowing a raspberry- it's supposed to come right after Dawn French's Easter Bunny realizes it's not Easter and slumps off. It was in the episode as originally aired, but somehow it's not on either of the DVD sets. So neither one is totally complete, really.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted November 25 2007 - 07:41 AM

^ Thanks for your input. I went ahead and ordered both sets (won't be the first time I purchased 2 of the same thing) from DeepDiscount since their 20% off sale is still in effect. I just love the British comedies and I always tried to catch the series when is was on. Thanks again!

Forum Nav Content I Follow