Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Disable power button on Samsung LCD TV?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Jason77

Jason77

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 08:06 AM

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I want to disable the power and channel/volume buttons on my Samsung LCD TV (Model LN-T4042H.) The reason I want to do this is because my toddler keeps turning the set off on me and I can't keep him from doing it. I never use the buttons myself, only the remote, so I just want to disable them so they don't work. Can this be done?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted October 30 2007 - 03:26 PM

there "may" be a front panel access control on / off switch in the user menu settings ?? I know that some brands have this control (mits and Tosh).

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Jason77

Jason77

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 31 2007 - 02:32 AM

Nothing in the user menus, I checked extensively. I did figure out how to do it though. Browsing around various forums I found the code to access the service menu. Now, service menus make me nervous, with all the stories of messing up TVs after accessing them. Anyway, I accessed it, being very careful not to change anything that I didn't understand. Well, when I was in there, there was a "Hotel Mode" menu which allowed me to change the startup channel, volume, input, etc., as well as disabling all of the buttons on the TV. Problem solved. I disabled the buttons, quickly left the service menu, and did not mess up my TV. For anyone that also wants to do this, to access the service menu, you need to turn off the melody that plays when you turn the TV on and off. Once that's done, turn the TV off, the press Mute-1-8-2-Power. That gets you into the service menu. Don't change anything though if you're not 100% sure that you know what you're changing.