What's new

Newhart? (1 Viewer)

MTO

Agent
Real Name
mark owens
The rumor about a possible Newhart release has me pretty excited! Newhart has long been my favorite TV series. Please keep us posted of any new development. I sure hope they start with season one although a couple of the more popular cast members didn't join until seasons 2 and 3, but I'll take any release!

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator
Surprising that Fox would give this a chance since they gave up on the Bob Newhart show.

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe they will give the Bob Newhart show another chance, it is only 2 more seasons to go.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
Hmm..I'm torn. On one hand this is great possible news, since I also loved "Newhart" but after what has been done to "The Bob Newhart Show" it really makes it hard not to think that the studio will abandon "Newhart" before the whole run is released.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I am all over this release. If they blow it in any way that will be it for me and Fox's TV DVDs.

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
It would be great to see this released, but unless Fox has done a job of managing its expectations of archive release sales, I can't see it getting past a couple of seasons.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
They seem reluctant to release the rest of the good shows left in the MTM catalog. Newhart and Lou Grant are the standouts, with Hill Street and Remington Steele just getting out the door.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
No more Hill Street and they will release this. Great for fans of Newhart, but doesn't it seem that they will release the first seasons and then stop. The show should appeal to the same fans as the original Bob Newhart Show, and that has yet to be completed.

Maybe if Barney Miller can be restarted, then there is still hope. (I do know they are different studios.)

Doug

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Not to mention that one show set in a newsroom...

Fox had a deal with Anchor Bay going (that's how Doogie Howser, M.D. got out), I don't see why AB doesn't take advantage of it to get shows they don't want.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Not quite sure what you mean, is that about subsequent releases as far as Remington and Hill Street are concerned ? As Fox finished the entire run of 5 seasons of Remington i own all of them.

jamesGA

Agent
Glad I used the search engine, i was just about to start a topic on this.

I was shocked to check amazon an not see this show was out. Its a shame, i use to fall to sleep to the opening of this show which my grandmother watched, while i was supposed to be in bed.

This is a must ahve for my collection.

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
Well the 1st season of Newhart is not that bad. It is different, it is more laid back, the characters around Bob aren't as nutty and goofy as they later became.

Either way, the Bob Newhart Show was superior, thus season 1 of Newhart is inferor to season 5 and 6 of the Bob Newhart show, especially the 6th season, which had some of the classic episodes.

The early seasons are more like the Bob Newhart Show, pros and cons.

Pros: It it more like the Bob Newhart show, one of my favorite shows ever.

Cons: It is by default a poor man's Bob Newhart show. By making the show more goofy and less like the Bob Newhart show, it establish its own seperate identity.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Apparently not a rumor - TVshowsondvd.com is giving some info.

But releasing this series makes no sense!

Why not finish "The Bob Newhart Show" first and satisfy the fans? I bought all 4 sets of it & then got abandoned by the studio.

I'm not buying "Newhart" and getting burned twice. But here's a mention:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Newhart-Season-1/8403

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
I wish them luck, and I hope they make the 8 seasons, but just incase, maybe they should the finale as a bonus in the season 1 disc, a lot of people only care about the finale.

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
An RRP of $39.99 seems expensive, especially as apparently not enough people bought Bob Newhart at $29.99.

Perhaps this is Fox's new strategy for their unreleased shows. Release season 1 at too high a price so it doesn't sell enough, then use the fact that it doesn't sell enough as a reason to not release the other seasons.

I stopped buying TBNS after two seasons as I wasn't finding it funny enough, but I remember watching Newhart and enjoying it over 20 years ago, so I will be giving this one a go.

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
I am actully looking forward to this DVD release. I will pick it up, one episode in particular I am looking forward to seeing is "Sprained Dreams", I have watch the episode in reruns, and the closing credits has a number of guest stars, who I never saw in the episode. I guess their scene were cut in syndiation.

Hopefully it will be the original network version, hopefully this is not season 1 of the Cosby Show situtation.

Jamey K

Agent
Real Name
Jamey Karr
I'm really stoked that Newhart is coming out, but I'm still ticked at Fox for bailing on Hill Street Blues after only two seasons. My new rule with Fox to buy them-only after ALL seasons are out. Or for every season of Hill Street Blues that comes out, I'll buy a season of Newhart.

Crazy talk I know, but I REALLY wanted ALL of Hill Street Blues.

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
The box art is here. I hope they have some extras. What I would like to see.

A documentory on Bob's life in the 4 years between the ending of the Bob Newhart show and the beginning of Newhart.

Any Bob Newhart tv specials from the early 80's.

Bloopers, I espcially want to see the blooper when Bob called his wife Emily. That is a classic blooper.

BTW, in the first seasons most of the familar castmembers appear at various point, the only sugnifficant one not to appear is Peter Scolari. Larry and the Darryl's are still there, as well as Julia Duffy. So it is not like half of the familar cast are not there at all.

Personally all that mattered to me was Bob himself.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
"Hi, I"m Larry . . . "

Why should they continue releasing subsequent seasons of TBNS if the previous ones did not sell well ? That makes no sense business-wise. If the previous seasons had sold they would have released the rest of them. Simple as that. Why do people STILL not get how it works ? They're supposed to release a product that won't sell just to please a few fans who will find a reason to gripe anyway ? Give me a break. The rest of the seasons would be great but it's clear why they haven't happened yet.

I'm surprised but glad that Newhart is being given a chance seeing how TBNS didn't go through the roof sales-wise and since intelligent, older, adult-oriented series often don't sell well. Where have you gone, Murphy Brown ?

As far as the box art goes, the logo looks great. Love how they have it on the sign. However, the rest of it looks badly photoshopped. I guess they made do with what they had. But I can't figure out why they would bother including "that girl who isn't Stephanie". But this also happened with "what's-his-name" from the first season of Taxi, too.

Hope Newhart sells well and I can get my L,D&D fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks