-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

$100 DVD Player

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 naiku

naiku

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted October 26 2007 - 12:40 AM

Can anyone recommend a good DVD player for $100 or less? The only thing I really want from it right now is an optical audio output. I don't (yet) have an HDTV, but plan to get one in the future. I am not ready to buy an HD / Blu Ray DVD player until one format is decided.

So what DVD players are worth buying that have an optical output? (and preferably component video). Anything else is a bonus.

Also, forgot to add.......... where is the best place online price/service wise to get a DVD player (and any cables) from.

Thanks.

#2 of 4 Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted October 26 2007 - 03:42 AM

OK, I'll go first. Panasonic has some nice dvd players in that range. With component and optical as well as coaxial. I personally replaced my Panasonic RP91(which was a very good and much more expensive player) with a lower priced one from Panasonic. I got it online(can't remember where exactly) and believe I paid around $79 for it. It satisfies me just as well as the more expensive one did. Like you, I want to move into HD but refuse to do so until the format war is over. I've heard Oppo has some quality dvd players at good prices as well. I'm sure you'll get some responses from other members about the Oppo's.
Gary Shipley

#3 of 4 naiku

naiku

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted October 26 2007 - 04:26 AM

Thanks for the reply......... I think I will most likely go with either a Philips 5982 or a Sony NS77....... both of these appear to be good ones in this price bracket.

From what I have read the Sony has a better picture, but the Philips has more bells and whistles. Might have a look at some of the Oppo players, but so far have seen none for less than $150 (although I have not spent much time looking at Oppo).

#4 of 4 naiku

naiku

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 02:28 AM

I ended up getting the Sony, very pleased with it so far Posted Image