What's new

weird eating related questions (1 Viewer)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
When you are eating a meal do you ever save the last bite of one of the items you are eating to be the last bite you eat for that meal? Because, of course, you want that to be the taste in your mouth when you are done?

Also - I have seen people that will eat the entire portion of the various items on their plate one at a time, in succession. So if they had starch/veg/meat they would eat all the of the starch move on to the veg, eat all that and so on. I can't get behind that, but do any of you eat that way?

Finally, my grandfather used to mix up everything on his plate before eating it. I really can't get behind that but am curious if anyone else does.

Just some random musings from today's lunch hour...

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Yes, I debate with myself sometimes at a meal what the last piece should be.

I do not do this but my son does this for every meal, he starts eating something on his plate and he will eat all of that before moving on to the next item.

I mix things up sometimes and sometimes I do not, depends on what it is (corn and mashed potato's or eggs, bacon and hashbrowns) come to mind as items I tend to mix up, but there are sometimes I would not mix those up. Mood thing I guess

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
1) YES. Especially when eating a dish with prawns. I save a prawn for the last bite. Also, when eating a piece of pie, I eat the crust first.

2) Never done it, never seen it done.

3) A friend of mine does this. Says he turns whatever he is eating into "Chinese food".

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Yeah - breakfast foods kind of do lend themselves to this behavior. The thing with gramps was, he did this with
all his food all the time. When quizzed about this, his standard reply was "it's gonna get all mixed up anyway".
I miss gramps' simple approach to life...

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
1)No, I'm an equal opportunity eater who doesn't plan anything...

2)When I was growing I used to always to always segregate my food, ie. my rice couldn't touch my veggies which couldn't touch my meat item. I wouldn't eat them in any order but I always separated them.... Now, it doesn't matter too much, however, when growing up, I think one of those divided plates were made specifically for me. :)

Jay

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Do what tastes right. There are meals that blend well, and there are meals that use contrast more effectively.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
When eating a bowl of Lucky Charms or Count Chocula I MUST eat all the oats first. Being careful not to accidentally eat ANY of the marshmellows. Then when I'm left with a big bowl of marshmellows and milk, I eat spoonfull after spoonfull of 100% marshmellow goodness. :)

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I start with the sides, eaten one at a time. Nothing ever gets mixed, EXCEPT Mexican rice and refried beans, which I almost always mix.

I honestly don't know why I eat everything one item at a time. There's no particular sequence...just start with whatever I feel like eating, but finishing with the entree. I remember it driving my mother crazy when I was a kid. For my first two years, I refused almost everything but oatmeal, and out of frustration, she reportedly put a green bean in my ear. So, eating habits were always kind of an issue between us.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Buzz,
that's a good story - to this day I swear to my mom that she and one of my great-aunts punished me for something or other by shaking some black pepper on my tongue. She vehemently denies it saying I imagined it...but I know better...:crazy:

So have you ever consciously tried to be more random in your eating, just curious?

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
No, but I'm not OCD about it, or anything. And I tend to get the same foods over and over at restaurants, too. I have no particular food issues or aversions. Guess i just like it that way. :)

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I do also hate chocolate, which I have discovered has something to do with genetics. My dad's father, and one of my sister's kids are the same way.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
When I was a kid I hated to let any item of food touch another and would always eat the food in order--starting with the food I liked least and ending with the food I liked best. That meant veggies first, then starch, then meat.

I don't eat stuff one item at a time any more, but still save my favorite for last. As for mixing I'll often mix up my eggs with my hashbrowns or mash a bite of baked potato in steak juice before putting it in my mouth.

Lately I've been experimenting with dipping my fries in ranch or thousand island dressing instead of ketchup--yummy.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Fries in mustard are really good. Try making some sweet potato fries (they don't "crisp" well) and dip in some sweet marinade (sesame/ginger is my favorite). Really good. I like to make those to go with jerk chicken.

mylan

Screenwriter
I like A-1 sauce on my steak and my baked potato! My wife thinks I am ruining the tater that way but, then again, she dips chedder cheese in ranch dressing (I have to admit I like that one too).

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
For dinner, I had chicken pilaf, with potatoes in a spicy yogurt gravy. The two dishes complemented each other quite nicely. Mixed up, or separate doesn't make much of a difference.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
The Dutch and Belgians dip in mayo. And chopped onions.

I too 'save a bit' of a favoured dish as the last bite. I almost never mix it all up, hence I don't really understand the "it's Chinese food" reference: I suppose if you have a base of rice, and two or three dishes, you could mix them all up into a mess, but I haven't seen anyone do that, at least no one Chinese. And I've never done the "eat all of one dish first" thing either, I want some variety in flavours and textures throughout the course of my meal. Although I might 'favour' one dish over the other -- usually saving the preferred one for later, whilst 'getting rid of' the other earlier in the meal.

This is all starting to sound really weird... just how dysfunctional are we all to be discussing something so odd in HTF's AH?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks