-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 7 DVD question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 06:47 AM

There is a listing for the seventh and final season of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" on TVShowsOnDVD's Alterations List. Does "All Good Things..." on DVD really include additional footage that wasn't in the original broadcast? It never made it passed the "Pending" stage, so I'm wondering if this is accurate.

http://www.tvshowson....-Season-7/1471

#2 of 8 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted October 25 2007 - 07:15 AM

I honestly don't remember the original broadcast well enough to say for sure. I know that the scene is there now, and it's quite welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps a few local broadcasters (remember, it was syndicated) botched the original showing, shoehorning an extra commercial or two in there.

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#3 of 8 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,770 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCook
There is a listing for the seventh and final season of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" on TVShowsOnDVD's Alterations List. Does "All Good Things..." on DVD really include additional footage that wasn't in the original broadcast? It never made it passed the "Pending" stage, so I'm wondering if this is accurate.

No. There is no deleted material present -that is, nothing that wasn't broadcast originally. Now, some scenes were dropped from the show during syndication, and the DVD has the complete show as it was shown, but nothing that was never aired.

#4 of 8 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,134 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 10:23 AM

I did a search on the Trek Wiki as I also thought the DVD was unedited too. As Sam has noted, what I found was when it aired as 2 parts in syndication, some scenes were cut. But the original broadcast version is on the DVD, intact.

#5 of 8 Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted October 26 2007 - 04:22 AM

Not sure I understand the answer here. I thought when All Good Things was FIRST broadcast, it was as one episode and not a 2 parter. If that is the case, how does that version compare to the DVD, and not the 2 part re-runs?

#6 of 8 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted October 26 2007 - 04:26 AM

That much I DO remember. It was originally broadcast as a two-hour event to end the series. As such, it had more content than the split-apart two parter that was prepared for the second-run syndication market.

Since they would have had to have added an extra set of opening and closing credits, plus a "previously on..." teaser, some content was likely edited out, which is probably what the original poster is referring to.

The DVD contains all of the content as if it were a two-hour episode.

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#7 of 8 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted October 26 2007 - 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Favate
No. There is no deleted material present -that is, nothing that wasn't broadcast originally. Now, some scenes were dropped from the show during syndication, and the DVD has the complete show as it was shown, but nothing that was never aired.

Thanks Sam.

There were scenes that didn't make the final cut, and I may be wrong, but I remember hearing that Paramount extended the final two-hour episode for VHS.

#8 of 8 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,770 posts

Posted October 26 2007 - 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCook
I remember hearing that Paramount extended the final two-hour episode for VHS.

I believe that it was extended from the syndicated version, back to the original broadcast 2-hour version from May '94.

Forum Nav Content I Follow