Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ 2001: A Space Odyssey -- in BD & HD

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#1 of 228 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,600 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 01:47 PM

I was there when it opened, as an NYU film school senior.

There are a short list of films that of which it can be said...

"There was cinema before and after..."

Mr. Kubrick's 2001 is one of them. In your face. In spades!

To have the opportunity to view it (without drugs) in 70mm on a huge screen, is one of these life altering experiences.

Is it on par with watching the Stars and Stripes being raised at Iwo Jima?

Doubtful.

But in the world of cinema, it doesn't get much better.

And neither could this high definition disc, for which I set aside the opening game of the World Series this evening to preview. The game actually went on without me.

This is one of those "few words" that is short, sweet and to the point.

The original 65mm negative of 2001 has been over-loved during the decades.

Over-printed, with dupes scattered about throughout, it comes to to this new DVD in nearly transparent condition. My assumption is that this transfer is derived from a 35mm interpositive produced several years ago, and it has yielded a superb master.

Warner Bros. has done a beautiful job with Mr. Kubrick's magnum opus.

Image and audio quality are superb. And while we are viewing what is essentially the soft cover version of a film which was designed to be seen on a huge screen with audio blaring...

We finally have a version of 2001 on home video of which I believe Mr. Kubrick would be proud.

And then he would change the conversation to baseball, and the World Series.

2001 is a beautifully stuck disc from Warner, which I screened on Blu-Ray. I have no doubt that the HD version will be equally as pleasing.

On the short list of the most important classic releases of 2007...

2001 may well be at the top.

Just beautiful. Hats off to the archival crew at Warner Bros.

2001: A Space Odyssey is Unhesitatingly Extremely Highly Recommended!

RAH
  • aPhil likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 228 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 24 2007 - 02:04 PM

My resolve not to buy into any HD format yet continues to erode. Thanks, RAH.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 228 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,875 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted October 24 2007 - 02:11 PM

I first saw 2001 in its original release as a 15 year old student in the "Century 21" theater in San Jose, which was a purpose-built theater for showing Cinerama films. The Century 21 is a concrete dome theater with fancy sound systems and a projection room custom built for 70mm and Cinerama projections.

I was disappointed that 2001 wasn't a 3-strip Cinerama film. But everything else about the film was a delight.

After owning 2001 in CED, WS VHS, non-anamorphic DVD, anamorphic DVD, and finally HD DVD, the HD culmination is what we have been waiting for all these years.

A pedant will claim that the HD DVD will make more obvious the studio set vs. the background photos in the Dawn of Man sequence. There are many other portions that highlight the limitations of the 1968 special effect. But what the heck did you expect? This is as good as it's going to get.

Having said all this, there are things in the transfer that Bob Harris may wish to comment upon. When Dave brings the pod up to the emergency airlock, the white lighting of the ship is overlaid by pinkish light from the pod's lights. Is this correct? Kubrick had a trademark of having 'halos' around lighting effects so I'm not sure.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#4 of 228 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 05:25 PM

Loved your review RAH. One of your best. Posted Image

#5 of 228 OFFLINE   Seppo

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 09:34 PM

The review gets me even more annoyed by the fact that DVD Pacific have yet to dispatch my copy of the film on BD. Posted Image

#6 of 228 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,600 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 11:30 PM

Deleted as duplicate

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#7 of 228 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 11:31 PM

I heard that the HD transfer is based on a >= 4K scan from a 65mm element. Does someone know anything definitive?

#8 of 228 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,600 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 11:32 PM

Quote:
When Dave brings the pod up to the emergency airlock, the white lighting of the ship is overlaid by pinkish light from the pod's lights. Is this correct? Kubrick had a trademark of having 'halos' around lighting effects so I'm not sure.

I certainly can't answer this. Even if there were a later "approved" print, something this specific may not have translated. Without either Mr. Kubrick or Mr. Unsworth, generally the best that one can do is make the surrounding general colors and densities correct, and allow everything else to fall naturally where it may.

RAH

#9 of 228 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted October 25 2007 - 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
To have the opportunity to view it (without drugs) in 70mm on a huge screen, is one of these life altering experiences.
RAH

I cannot help but smile at this statement as I've had the opportunity to experience it both ways on the big screen way back in the day.

Nice to get the enthusiastic RAH stamp of approval on one of my favorite science fiction movies. Great review.

And thank you Warner.

#10 of 228 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts

Posted October 28 2007 - 06:05 AM

According to Insider Mr. D. the HD master is not from a 35mm element but a 6K scan of the OCN. Cool.
http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=880440

#11 of 228 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,600 posts

Posted October 28 2007 - 11:58 AM

According to AVS...

"The 65mm neg was scanned within the last few years and was described as being in "perfect" condition to me by the guys that scanned it so there should be a pretty marvelous HD master available."

Not when I wound through it. Overused, dupes, tape...

The word "perfect" obviously has numerous meanings. I have yet to learn all of them.

RAH

#12 of 228 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,688 posts

Posted October 28 2007 - 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel_Hafner
According to Insider Mr. D. the HD master is not from a 35mm element but a 6K scan of the OCN. Cool.
http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=880440

A 6k scan is nice to have but more important is that there is no hideous EE added to the picture like with Battle of the Bulge.

Everybody raves about the detail on that one but the EE completely destroys the illusion of a cinematic presentation. I take it 2001 is not affected by it judging by RAH's statements here - good !

#13 of 228 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts

Posted October 28 2007 - 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
According to AVS...
"The 65mm neg was scanned within the last few years and was described as being in "perfect" condition to me by the guys that scanned it so there should be a pretty marvelous HD master available."
Not when I wound through it. Overused, dupes, tape...
RAH
Do you think the HD-DVD could come from this 6K scan? (Have not seen the disc yet.)

#14 of 228 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,600 posts

Posted October 29 2007 - 12:31 AM

A 6k scan, to the best of my knowledge, is not the way that Warner has been generally handling their 65s. Unless one is seeking to create additional digital preservation elements, it adds little toward the purpose of an HD release which may be harvested from a 35mm element.

Large format scans are horrifically expensive.

Whether they did a digital scan in this case is anyone's guess.

RAH

#15 of 228 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted October 29 2007 - 01:24 AM

The latest SD version (not the subject of this thread, I know) still has noticeable edge halos, especially evident on the horizon shots during the "Dawn of Man" sequence and just about everywhere during the space station/white corridor scenes early on in the picture. They looked about the same as they did in the previous 16:9 enhancded DVD and the HDNET broadcast.

I'm hoping to see the Blu-Ray this evening and will report back. If nothing else, the PCM 5.1 should be ear candy.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#16 of 228 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted October 30 2007 - 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden
...I'm hoping to see the Blu-Ray this evening and will report back. If nothing else, the PCM 5.1 should be ear candy.
...Well, the edge halos were there, but they were lower in intensity and less bothersome on the BRD then on the SD release. The ones on the SD release more or less jumped out at me while I had to look a bit more actively to notice them on the HD. I will now spend the evening trying to train myself to stop looking actively for them so I can enjoy the film. Posted Image The PCM 5.1 track is as nice as I hoped it would be.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#17 of 228 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 03:25 AM

Looks like the higher resolution is revealing the matte paintings at the beignning. A few shots are very ugly.

#18 of 228 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
Looks like the higher resolution is revealing the matte paintings at the beignning. A few shots are very ugly.

They aren't matte paintings. They are large format still photographs that are front projected on to a screen that is coated with 3M reflective material. I think what we are seeing is an uneven application of that 3M material.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#19 of 228 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted October 31 2007 - 03:20 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the info. At first I didn't know what was going on. It sort of looked like a dirty lens or something.

The 20-30 mins I sampled after that were pretty damned impressive.

#20 of 228 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,760 posts

Posted October 31 2007 - 08:22 AM

Talk about an Odyssey...try finding one of these in a B&M store! Posted Image

The Best Buy store locater says that my local one has some in stock. I'm going to take a long lunch in a bit to try and track a copy down since Amazon is still listing this as 2-5 weeks and I'm not the waiting type...

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

Back to Blu-ray

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow