Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ONKYO-TX-SR605

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 judgej

judgej

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 08:16 AM

I just purchased this receiver and it is fantastic. However, I do have a question about its 'listening modes'
Whenever I watch a regular DVD movie on my Blu Ray player, I often have to play with the receivers listening modes as I want the sound to come to my 7 speakers. Right now the only way this happens if I put the receivers 'listening mode' in ALL STEREO. If I try other modes, the sound only comes out from my front speakers. The Blu Ray is connected to my receiver via HDMI.

Is this a new problem and if so how do I fix it? Only if I play a Blu Ray movie only then all 7 speakers work with DTS sound.

Please advise???

Thanks

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 of 10 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 04:49 AM

For S-DVDs you will probably get the best results by having the receiver do the decoding, which means setting your player to "bitstream" out for audio. Then, simply select the correct decoder (or listening mode) for the stream you are listening to (i.e. if the receiver doesn't detect it by itself). "ALL STEREO" is definitely NOT the correct setting.

#3 of 10 judgej

judgej

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for your advice. However, I am new to this HT world and HDMI. The word 'bitstream' is alien to me. Please explain. The 'All Stereo' mode works with all speakers. I know this is wrong, what do I need to do on my stereo? When I listen to normal TV all speakers work with all stereo mode, but if a DVD movie is playing, what do I need to do?

Thanks

#4 of 10 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 11:47 AM

all stereo sounds like a cheesy setting which plays the left front and right signals through the surround speakers as well. It's certainly not what was intended by the sound designers. Maybe it's useful for cocktail parties or something.

No, bitstream sounds more appropriate-- it allows the receiver to decode the Dolby Digital/DTS. You can check your results using a THX-Optimode DVD, or Digital Video Essentials.

#5 of 10 davidJames

davidJames

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 03:26 PM

I to own the sr605, the various listening modes are to accommodate as many listening conditions as possible,ie: parties, gatherings with friends, sports arena's and so on. All stereo is for parties where all can here the same thing from each speaker, it was not intended for serious movie watching.
If your using HDMI fro your blu ray, then tell your blu ray to output HDMI multichannel (check BR manuel), also you need to go into setup in sr605 and tell it which HDMI input your BR is connected to. Once connected properly and both machines are set up right then you won't have to do anymore with it, except when playing a disc, which version od Dolby digital, or DTS you want.
Also the surround speakers don't always have sound from them, they are effects speakers, so you won't here them continually.
I know this can get a little confusing, but it's worth it, the 605 is a fantastic unit, it will decode DTS Master and sounds great.
I don't know if I have helped or confused you even more, keep trying and reading and you'll get it.

#6 of 10 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,006 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 04:24 PM

there is also listening modes for dvd (HD, bluray), cable, satalite, ,vcr.. you have to set them all to what you want..
some will be set to dolby digital, stero, mono, play 2, etc.

its confusing at first.. but once you get the system set up just right.. you will probably enjoy it more.

Jacob

#7 of 10 Joe Pick

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted October 28 2007 - 08:54 AM

I have the 705 and if you push the 'surround' button on the remote, the correct dolby surround track will play from the DVD. Usually. Same with HD content on cable or satellite.

#8 of 10 judgej

judgej

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted November 01 2007 - 07:54 AM

Thanks all for your advice. However, I am still confused with my Tx-SR605. I know it is capable of a lot but for a novice like me the word 'bitstream' is confusing in itself. I did make the adjustment on my BR audio menu (SONY BPS300. Now for my receiver, I keep changing the listening modes, and sometimes what works is the Neo 6:Cinema. where usually all 7 speakers work. Is there any way of setting my receiver so that no matter what BR movie I put on it will automaticaly adjust the listening mode?

To David James: Thanks for the advice. My BR player and TV are both hooked to my reciever. I have set my BR (HDMI out to receiver IN). Is there anything more to be done? Does the sound depend on the type of BR movie? DTS or Dolby? Please advise.
thanks once again

To ALL: Thanks. This all 'listening mode' thing is a concern when you have no idea of HDMI and DTS. So please continue to advise me.

Jason

#9 of 10 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted November 01 2007 - 08:31 AM

First of all, not all 7 speakers will be working all the time. If you are using 7 channel stereo to force them to, it is as unnatural a version of surround sound you can have.

Second, make sure you have turned the HDMI audio out to "no" for the Onkyo's connectionn to the TV. This can sometimes force 2 channel only output from the player if left on.

Third, do not apply any "listening modes" to the sound until you find out if it is working correctly. Matter of fact, I personally do not use any "listening modes". I find they sound too synthesized and unnatural. But that's just me.

Fourth, the Onkyo 605 will not matrix 5.1 LPCM soundtracks into 7.1 speakers. In other words, for all but the rare soundtrack that is recorded in 7.1, the rear surround speakers will not have any sound coming out of them at all for HD audio, since all HD audio is output in LPCM format from your player.

#10 of 10 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,006 posts

Posted November 01 2007 - 11:24 AM

when you use the display on the ps3.. it will tell you what you have listed from dolby digital to lcpm to trueHD etc.

Jacob