• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 tomterrific

tomterrific

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted October 22 2007 - 06:28 AM

What are the chances of any of the following 50's comedies see at least a best of dvd release (not just one or two episodes)?

The Life of Riley
The Aldrich Family
The Goldbergs
Mama

#2 of 12 Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted October 23 2007 - 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomterrific
What are the chances of any of the following 50's comedies see at least a best of dvd release (not just one or two episodes)?

The Life of Riley
The Aldrich Family
The Goldbergs
Mama

Which Life of Riley are you referring to? The 1-season Gleason series or the William Bendix ones? I know that Fox now owns the Bendix series so you can forget about ever seeing an official release on that. Not sure if they own the Gleason episodes as well but they may.

The other 3 series were done live and are not known to have been saved, except for one or two kines. The last season of The Goldbergs was filmed for syndication and might be a possibility for someone to do.

#3 of 12 tomterrific

tomterrific

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted October 23 2007 - 03:07 AM

Hank, I was referring to the William Bendix shows. I thought all shows from the 50's were done on kinescope. I remember seeing some episodes of The Goldbergs many years ago on PBS.

#4 of 12 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted October 23 2007 - 03:22 AM

I checked over at Shokus Video, which specializes in late 1940s/early 1950s television and they have a few of these older shows in their catalog, but as Hank said, not very many episodes have been saved. Use the link below and scroll to the bottom where you'll see about a half dozen episodes from "Mama."

https://sunshine.rah....R_ID=302726162

Once there, if you page forward, you'll see a few episodes from "The Goldbergs," and "The Life of Riley," but I didn't see anything for "The Aldrich Family." With Alpha Video's recent release of "The Beulah Show," it wouldn't surprise me in the least if "Mama" eventually received a release from them.

#5 of 12 McAllister

McAllister

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 23 2007 - 11:13 AM

Maybe ... and this might be a long shot here... but maybe, if the CBS archives have a few of the live episodes in their vault, they might lease "Mama" to a small distributor, like they did with "Suspense"... already a second volume of that show is already being planned for release. Stranger things have happened.

Side note here: The last season of "Mama" was produced on film from New York. However, there were only 13 episodes filmed and aired Sunday afternoons on CBS between (and my research is pretty sketchy at the moment...) December 1956 and March 1957.

#6 of 12 nostalgic TV guy

nostalgic TV guy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted October 23 2007 - 01:52 PM

I have one episode of 'The Aldrich Family' (from 6-18-1950) so I know at least that much exists. Even a kinescope is infinitely valuable compared to nothing at all.

Some time ago I looked through Skokus' catalog, there weren't any episodes of The Aldrich family listed.

The episodes I have of 'The Goldbergs' are all from the last year of the series (1955-56) where the family is in the suburbs, not in the city as the older shows. These would definitely be worth doing, as this show is so rarely seen.

#7 of 12 DeWilson

DeWilson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted October 23 2007 - 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
... the CBS archives have a few of the live episodes in their vault, they might lease "Mama" to a small distributor, like they did with "Suspense"....

But where the "Suspense" Kinescopes actually found at CBS, or where they in the hands of the show's sponsor, Auto-Light? Plus,don't you find it odd that exactly 90 episodes were found? I'm wondering if there wern't a few others found that were either unusuable,incomplete or restagings of earlier existing shows.,

Still,CBS's track record for saving kinescopes-early Video Tapes are the highest of the 4 networks.

I do wonder if the Westinghouse-Studio One U.S. Version of "1984" exists. It would Be interesting to see how they cut the original BBC 110 minute script down to 51 minutes and Eddie Albert in the Winston Smith Role! (Played by Peter Cushing in the BBC TV Version!)

Other than that, and It's something known to exist - The Early 1970's version of YOU ARE THERE! Ran on Saturday Monrings. They were shot on video,but transfered to color kinescope for schools! I can't find any information on this version - there has to be ATLEAST 16-17 episodes which was CBS's standard order for Saturday AM shows in the early 1970's

#8 of 12 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted October 23 2007 - 05:46 PM

Quote:
I thought all shows from the 50's were done on kinescope.
Only the live shows needed to be kinescoped. As the decade went on, more and more shows were on film, until just about all of them were except for game shows and variety shows like The Ed Sullivan Show.

Even early in the decade, there were filmed shows, like "Amos 'n' Andy" and "I Love Lucy" (both 1951).

#9 of 12 Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted October 23 2007 - 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWilson
But where the "Suspense" Kinescopes actually found at CBS, or where they in the hands of the show's sponsor, Auto-Light? Plus,don't you find it odd that exactly 90 episodes were found? I'm wondering if there wern't a few others found that were either unusuable,incomplete or restagings of earlier existing shows.,

The information I'm hearing is that the Suspense shows are not coming from CBS. I'm not sure where but I think private sources.

#10 of 12 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted October 23 2007 - 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
Only the live shows needed to be kinescoped. As the decade went on, more and more shows were on film, until just about all of them were except for game shows and variety shows like The Ed Sullivan Show.

Even early in the decade, there were filmed shows, like "Amos 'n' Andy" and "I Love Lucy" (both 1951).

Even in the late 1940s, some shows were filmed, one of the most famous being "The Lone Ranger" which began broadcasts in the Fall of 1949. A number of these episodes are in the public domain and are in surprisingly good shape.

#11 of 12 Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hug
Even in the late 1940s, some shows were filmed, one of the most famous being "The Lone Ranger" which began broadcasts in the Fall of 1949. A number of these episodes are in the public domain and are in surprisingly good shape.

There weren't that many filmed shows in the first 5 years of television. Mostly low budget shows from the likes of Hal Roach Studios and other independents. The big studios hated television, saw it as a threat and didn't want anything to do with it until the mid-50s when Warner began producing shows for ABC. As for the Long Ranger, the good news is that they were all remastered a number of years ago. The bad news is they were all remastered to 22 minutes. So even when they have been released on DVD or run on Encore Westerns, they all get the 22 minute versions as whoever owned the show didn't have brains enough to remaster an uncut version when they did it.

#12 of 12 DeWilson

DeWilson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Dearborn
..... As for the Long Ranger, the good news is that they were all remastered a number of years ago. The bad news is they were all remastered to 22 minutes. So even when they have been released on DVD or run on Encore Westerns, they all get the 22 minute versions as whoever owned the show didn't have brains enough to remaster an uncut version when they did it.

I think Broadway Video (Lorne Michael's company) owned the LONE RANGER
episodes at the time they did the new transfers at 22 minutes.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow