Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony Blu-Ray player "upscaling" question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   kevin55

kevin55

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 19 2007 - 12:09 AM

I just got my first Blu-Ray player. It is a Sony BDP-S500, but this is a general question. If you're playing a regular DVD movie (not Blu-Ray), does the player have to be set to "upconvert" to 1080p (it, the player, upscales to 1080p)?..It is connected to a Sony 52" XBR5 LCD TV. If I play a regular DVD movie, and hit the "Display" button on my TV's remote, it say's 480p..I guess that's the input it senses. I just bought the TV 2 weeks ago, & the Blu-Ray player arrived yesterday. A few want to know how the S500 player is, & as soon as I run it thru it's paces..I'll post the results here, but for now..how do you set the Sonys to "upconvert/upscale"? Any input appreciated!
Thanks in advance..Posted Image

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   kevin55

kevin55

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 19 2007 - 12:34 AM

Forgot to mention..it's connected via HDMI cable...I tried the "Live Chat" @ Sony & they said to use the component outputs/inputs to get upscaling..is this true?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   kevin55

kevin55

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 19 2007 - 12:51 AM

Might be because I have it set on "Source Direct" under "Video Format" (the player)...Will try that....Posted Image

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted October 19 2007 - 02:20 AM

HDMI is the way to go. As far as I know, no player will upconvert copy protected DVDs via component video outputs. I seriously doubt this one will.

I assume it's a setting in the player somewhere. Hopefully the video format settings work!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   judgej

judgej

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 08:06 AM

Hi,

You need to go to the Blu Ray Menu and set the video signal to AUTO. It will automatically detect the 'format type' and this will display on your Sony (display) button remote.

Good luck