Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Grindhouse DVD's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
115 replies to this topic

#1 of 116 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted October 16 2007 - 11:44 AM

Why did theThe Weinstein Company/Dimension slipt up Grindhouse? Will we ever see the film in it's entiarity as one film not two?

EDIT: I posted this almost a month ago and I just noticed that I wrote Will The Weinstein Company/Dimension slipt up Grindhouse?, instead of Why Did The Weinstein Company/Dimension slipt up Grindhouse? Sometimes when I type I'm typing so fast I think I typed what I wanted, when I didn't.

#2 of 116 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,168 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrock17
Will the Weinstein Company/Dimension slipt up Grindhouse?
I imagine the fact that THEY ALREADY HAVE SPLIT GRINDHOUSE UP gives some credence to the thought that they probably will do so as the point is now moot.

Quote:
Will we ever see the film in it's entiarity as one film not two?
Chinese whispers courtesy of Mr. Edgar Wright have suggested a theatrical version release might be in the cards at a later date.

Otherwise you lose.

#3 of 116 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,336 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 16 2007 - 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
Chinese whispers courtesy of Mr. Edgar Wright have suggested a theatrical version release might be in the cards at a later date.
Also, Eli Roth said on his My Space that "As far as the 'Thanksgiving' trailer, I am sure it will come out at some point, but right now I don't know what the plans are with regards to releasing the films as a double feature. I'm not in the loop on any of that stuff."

#4 of 116 OFFLINE   KeithHob

KeithHob

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 03:05 PM

This may be old news but on the 10 minute film school extra from Planet Terror, Robert Rodriguez states that there will be a 10 minute cooking school featurette as an extra on the Grindhouse 2 disc special edition. So it sounds like it's coming, but who knows when.

#5 of 116 OFFLINE   Bonedwarf

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 06:25 PM

The Edgar Wright comment was when he was doing promotion for the Hot Fuzz DVD. He said the DIRECTORS CUT of his trailer (complete with appearance of the mighty Simon Pegg which was cut from the theatrical release) was going to be on the Grindhouse DVD.

Very excited that it looks like we're getting a proper release. I've deliberately not bought PT and DP. (I do NOT double dip, because if you do, you are part of the problem.)

#6 of 116 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,333 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted October 17 2007 - 04:14 AM

I see no point in releasing them together as a double feature later. The extra trailers will not make me double dip.

We have both flicks -- extended -- with some extras.

How could they sweeten the pot for a double dip?
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#7 of 116 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 09:41 AM

The theatrical cuts of the movies would do it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedwarf
(I do NOT double dip, because if you do, you are part of the problem.)

As far as I'm concerned, there is no problem. If a movie I like is available on DVD for a price I find reasonable, I'll buy it. If a later version is released, I'll evaluate whether or not to purchase it based on what it has to offer over the previous release and on price. But if the older DVD was worth the price I paid originally, then a new DVD release doesn't magically change that.

#8 of 116 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted October 27 2007 - 03:16 PM

Why doesn't Dimension's release the DVD on a 3 Disc Set and included both theatrical and extended and uncut versions, so that everyone wins?

Disc 1 191 Theatrical Version
Audio Commentaries

Disc 2 Uncut and Extended Versions
Side 1 Planet Terror w/Commentaries
Side 2 Death Proof w/Commentaries

Disc 3 Special Features

#9 of 116 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,168 posts

Posted October 27 2007 - 05:02 PM

Quote:
Why doesn't Dimension's release the DVD on a 3 Disc Set and included both theatrical and extended and uncut versions, so that everyone wins?
Because flippers suck.

#10 of 116 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,050 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 29 2007 - 03:45 AM

not really a double dip. Two single movies released over seas get released here, then a film called "grindhouse" replicating 70's sleaze cinema comes out sometime.

I can't help but think that if GRINDHOUSE came out here first, people would be wondering if we would ever get the Cannes cut of death proof, similar to all the complaining of no Japanese cut of "Kill Bill" being released (as of yet) in R1.

#11 of 116 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted October 29 2007 - 06:04 PM

So is there presently a way to replicate the Grindhouse theatre experience?

I mean if I get both DVDs, do I get to see all that was in the theatres? I heard there were fake trailers between the 2 movies. Are they on as an extra on either DVD?

I sure hope so...
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#12 of 116 OFFLINE   Jon Baker

Jon Baker

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando
So is there presently a way to replicate the Grindhouse theatre experience?

I mean if I get both DVDs, do I get to see all that was in the theatres? I heard there were fake trailers between the 2 movies. Are they on as an extra on either DVD?

I sure hope so...

The only trailer included in these is Machete which appears at the beginning of Planet Terror. I'm also hearing that a full-length film of this is actually going to be made. IMDB already has a listing on their website for 2008.

#13 of 116 OFFLINE   Bonedwarf

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 08:29 AM

I wonder if the IMDB info on Machete is accurate? Since there WAS talk of making it a direct-to-dvd release, but that was before "Grindhouse" absolutely tanked. I've not read anything since. (I hope they don't. Having to imagine the movie is infinitely more entertaining.)

Still waiting for "Grindhouse" to be released intact. I hope it happens. It would be a real shame to see such a unique film experiment disappear and receive no home release.

#14 of 116 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted November 21 2007 - 10:34 PM

The movie made so much money, that I'd say by February or March of next year that there should be a 3 Disc Collector's Edition, thats what I would like to see at least.

#15 of 116 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 12:51 AM

Quote:
The movie made so much money

Where?!
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#16 of 116 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted November 22 2007 - 11:37 AM

Travis Brashear wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
The movie made so much money

Where?!

http://www.imdb.com/...462322/business

add them all together and you'll see how much the movie made.

#17 of 116 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,336 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 22 2007 - 02:20 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's a running total and not what it made each week. In other words, it lost nearly $28 million and that's just the budget and doesn't include the astronomical cost of prints and a major promotional campaign. However, I'm sure the Weinsteins have started to make some of that dough back from the DVD releases.

#18 of 116 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 03:07 PM

Quote:
http://www.imdb.com/...462322/business

LOL! My dear sir, you obviously have no idea how to read the imdb report; as TravisR notes, you're not reading a running total. Perhaps you should stick with boxofficemojo.com, which keeps it simple: budget (pre-advertising and printing) $67,000,000; final domestic tally $25,037,897 (and looking at the seperate international releases of DEATH PROOF and PLANET TERROR, the overseas gross appears to be a pittance). I adore GRINDHOUSE, but the fact is, it flopped and it flopped hard. DVD sales and rentals might help it break even, but it's never gonna be a money-maker of any note.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#19 of 116 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 04:10 AM

Wow - someone thought Grindhouse was a HIT??? I liked it too, but it really did tank something fierce...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#20 of 116 OFFLINE   Matthew H

Matthew H

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 05:06 AM

It's a real shame it wasn't popular. I saw it the very last day of its theatrical run and I had a total ball. What a fun movie to see.

Surprisingly enough, there was an elderly couple in there as well! They walked out halfway throguh Planet Terror, though. Guess they couldn't take all of the sexual innuendo and zombie sleaze we all take for granted. Posted Image
Matt

Mobu? Sounds like some sort of damn car polish.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow