Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

January 2008 Criterions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,034 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 16 2007 - 07:11 AM

The Naked Prey (#415)

Miss Julie (#416)

This Sporting Life (#417)

4 x Agnès Varda Box Set (#418)

Includes Le bonheur, Cleo from 5 to 7, La Pointe Courte, and Vagabond.

La Pointe Courte (#419)

Le bonheur (#420)

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 29 Tim_C

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 07:27 AM

Another fantastic month from Criterion, in my opinion. Every single one of these titles is a must-buy for me.

It's especially great to see another Lindsay Anderson film finally being released on DVD, and this seems to be an especially packed release.

I'd been putting off buying the previously released Agnes Varda films, now I'm very glad I waited. I've only seen one of her films, the wonderful "The Gleaners and I", but I've been meaning to see more from her for a long time.

Also a must-buy (for me) is their new Eclipse set for January, "Postwar Kurosawa":
http://www.criterion....asp?id=2000700

Phone rings,
Door chimes,
In comes
Company!

#3 of 29 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,034 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 07:29 AM

By the way, both Cleo and Vagabond are Remastered Re-issues.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 29 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,034 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_C
Another fantastic month from Criterion, in my opinion. Every single one of these titles is a must-buy for me.

It's especially great to see another Lindsay Anderson film finally being released on DVD, and this seems to be an especially packed release.

I'd been putting off buying the previously released Agnes Varda films, now I'm very glad I waited. I've only seen one of her films, the wonderful "The Gleaners and I", but I've been meaning to see more from her for a long time.

Also a must-buy (for me) is their new Eclipse set for January, "Postwar Kurosawa":

Awesome!

Pics for the thread. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 of 29 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
By the way, both Cleo and Vagabond are Remastered Re-issues.
....And yet still listed as being non-anamorphic =(.

#6 of 29 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,034 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
....And yet still listed as being non-anamorphic =(.

I wouldn't worry about that. Usually within the first week of the website listing Criterion re-issues still say that. It'll change.

#7 of 29 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,519 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_C

Same here, that set looks really nice.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#8 of 29 Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 10:48 AM

Great to see 'This Sporting Life' is coming in what should be a much improved transfer compared with the previous Image release. This is quite a period for Lindsay Anderson films, following Criterion's release of 'If....' and the recently announced 'O Lucky Man!' from Warners. At last, this great director is getting his due on DVD!
Bruce Morrison

#9 of 29 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
I wouldn't worry about that. Usually within the first week of the website listing Criterion re-issues still say that. It'll change.
Well it would help if they just put the transfer info online like the good ol days... BUT NO!

#10 of 29 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 01:17 AM

This month's Criterion newsletter just went out over e-mail. I don't know what the upcoming release hint is referring to; anybody?

Posted Image

#11 of 29 Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 01:22 AM

Seems unlikely but, Ang Lee's Ice Storm?

Jimmy

#12 of 29 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,519 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 01:26 AM

Ice Storm was my first thought too.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#13 of 29 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 01:33 AM

Ice Storm is already on DVD, from Fox. Apparently not too much in the way of extras (I haven't seen the disc, just looking at some reviews), but it doesn't seem to me to be a likely candidate for a Criterion release. Though of course the clue makes sense, and I can't think of anything else that would...there's the key thing for the party which fits the plot, and the bit about bundling up which fits the title, so maybe that's it.

#14 of 29 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 02:05 AM

THE APARTMENT would work with that clue but that would be too good to be true. Most likely THE ICE STORM ; perhaps ushering in FOX Criterions?
Ken

#15 of 29 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 02:09 AM

Why is THIS SPORTING LIFE not anamorphic? No sale for me if that is true.
Ken

#16 of 29 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 02:13 AM

My guess is The Ice Storm, which would be terrific since I still think that's Ang Lee's best film.

#17 of 29 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 02:27 AM

Naked Prey is also listed as non-anamorphic on the Criterion site. I'm assuming it's a typo; they haven't released any widescreen non-anamorphic discs in years.

#18 of 29 Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 03:24 AM

Guys, Criterion's website often says non-anamorphic when the titles first go up. I swear we go through this every month. Stop with your "NO SALE!" nonsense. Do you really think Criterion would release a non-anamorphic widescreen title at this point?

I think the clue HAS to be The Ice Storm. I'd prefer Eat Drink Man Woman, but oh well.

Only the Kurosawa box is a must-buy for me. The Sporting Life is an excellent film (better than If... IMHO) but I don't need to own it. Very much looking forward to finally seeing Miss Julie.

#19 of 29 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 03:45 AM

I also thought of THE ICE STORM when I first saw it. But I have to question if it is worth a Criterion release. I liked it, more than most did. But, it wasn't all that popular a film, and the regular edition (which had a nice transfer if I remember) can be found in Wal Mart's $5 bins. What extras could they add to make it worth 6 - 8 times what it is going for today?

#20 of 29 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Martin
What extras could they add to make it worth 6 - 8 times what it is going for today?
An Ang Lee-James Schamus commentary?

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow