What's new

Warner to release Terminator 3 on BD 12/4 - with In-Movie Experience (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Link

While the film is surely not everyone's favorite (I personally dig it, but I know I'm not the consensus), what's really important about this release is that it will be Warner's first BD release with their Picture-in-Picture In-Movie Experience feature commentary.

Now, here's the fun part - despite reports to the contrary (such as in the linked article), there is strong rumor that Warner has figured out a way to do the PiP without needing Java 1.1, meaning that ALL players on the market will be able to play the feature, paving the way for other big titles that have been HD-DVD exclusive for this reason - Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, The Matrix Trilogy, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how this first release does....

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I'll probably pick this up. I'm a true heretic--this film is my favorite of the series. I like its lack of sentimentality.

--Jefferson Morris

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Apparently the BD version will have a TrueHD track and an exclusive commentary track.

Jim-J

Agent
Brandon thanks for the heads-up. This is certainly good news. Hopefully the other IME titles follow soon. Namely Batman Begins!!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully not, since they are adding new features to the Blu-ray version they could easily add a TrueHD or PCM track since it's not the same mastering.

However, this is WB we're talking about!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Nice! I actually liked this film as well (especially the, um, "throwback" ending :) ). And I never got around to buying the SD DVD.

Adding to the want list. . .

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'll pick this title up for "completionist" reasons for my Terminator series. Fingers crossed for TrueHD, though WB is *really* lame with lossless audio regardless of format so I'm pessimistic about them going the extra mile (extra mile for them, that is. Lossless audio seems to be standard-fare for Sony, MGM, Fox, and Disney).

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I'm down with this. I really enjoyed this movie, and I don't feel guilty about it at all. I love the "rip your guts out" ending.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I hate to say it, but this film was mainly a joke compared to the parts 1-2.. Some popcorn-entertainment, but nothing more. Thank you Jonathan Mostow, you basically ruined the series.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I enjoyed it (though not near as much as the first 2). I wasn't really impressed with the transfer on the HD DVD (a movie like this screams for a really top-notch transfer), and this is also a title that need lossless, or at least 1.5 Mbps, for the truck chase alone.

There was a rumor they were going to have a PCM track on this one, but that looks to be out the window.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I thought Warner was putting this out with IME in anticipation of BD-J 1.1 support, not because they've figured some way around it?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
All I know is that this isn't using 1.1 profile. How they're doing it is what I'm not sure of. It could be a second encode. The rumor I'm hearing is that it's using a subtitle track.

EDIT: Warner Getting More Blu, by Chris Tribbey (Home Media Magazine)

"Daniel Silverberg, VP of HD media development for the studio, noted that the T3 Blu-ray is not Blu-ray profile 1.1, the mandated programming required for all Blu-ray players introduced after Oct. 31."

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Damn. Neverending BD-J story. If there´s one thing that´s really annoying me with Blu-ray is their BD-J fiasco. GET IT DONE and make an official announcement after that. Not these vague "T3 has IME"-press releases IF it´s not the proper BD-J feature..

I was patience, but.. ;)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Not sure. However, subtitles have been used on DVD for trivia tracks with more varied graphics (Spider-Man 2), as well as limited video content when accompanying a commentary track (original Ghostbusters release, UHF).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
According to that article, this isn't the first BD to use existing technology to do some sort of PIP. I suppose theoretically it could have the entire film on the disc twice, once with the superimposed "PIP."

Dunno if there's room for that with a good bitrate, though.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
That could work with enough bits on the disc, but you've basically dropped down to a BD25 as you'd need to run everything for the feature film (all sountracks) twice since the two video streams are not synchronous.

Also, you wouldn't be able to turn PIP on/off during disc-play... since it would basically stop your whole data stream and start playing from a different part of the disc.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Well, they're just going to use the HD DVD encode, so if they use a BD 50 it should be easily do-able.

I don't get why they bothered holding up all these releases, then if they've decided to do the double-encode route. I guess it could be there's no hardware to test Java 1.1 on yet, or they just want to cater to early adopters for a while (though those with PS3s are likely in the clear anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks