Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner to release Terminator 3 on BD 12/4 - with In-Movie Experience

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#1 of 69 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,064 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 16 2007 - 03:45 AM

Link

While the film is surely not everyone's favorite (I personally dig it, but I know I'm not the consensus), what's really important about this release is that it will be Warner's first BD release with their Picture-in-Picture In-Movie Experience feature commentary.

Now, here's the fun part - despite reports to the contrary (such as in the linked article), there is strong rumor that Warner has figured out a way to do the PiP without needing Java 1.1, meaning that ALL players on the market will be able to play the feature, paving the way for other big titles that have been HD-DVD exclusive for this reason - Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, The Matrix Trilogy, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how this first release does....

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 69 Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 04:07 AM

I'll probably pick this up. I'm a true heretic--this film is my favorite of the series. I like its lack of sentimentality.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#3 of 69 Dave_P.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 04:36 AM

Apparently the BD version will have a TrueHD track and an exclusive commentary track.

Posted Image

#4 of 69 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,064 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 04:42 AM

I believe the TrueHD is a misprint, and the DD+ logo only refers to the HD-DVD.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 69 Jim-J

Jim-J

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 04:45 AM

Brandon thanks for the heads-up. This is certainly good news. Hopefully the other IME titles follow soon. Namely Batman Begins!!
"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding"--Ra's Al Ghul

#6 of 69 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 05:35 AM

Hopefully not, since they are adding new features to the Blu-ray version they could easily add a TrueHD or PCM track since it's not the same mastering.

However, this is WB we're talking about!

#7 of 69 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,380 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 16 2007 - 05:39 AM

Nice! I actually liked this film as well (especially the, um, "throwback" ending Posted Image ). And I never got around to buying the SD DVD.

Adding to the want list. . .
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#8 of 69 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,077 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 11:56 PM

http://www.dvdtimes....contentid=66147

It seems that BD-J (1.1) is now (finally!) ready. Let´s hope that things are going to be equal from now on (when it comes to extras) e.g. by Warner..

#9 of 69 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 04:28 AM

I'll pick this title up for "completionist" reasons for my Terminator series. Fingers crossed for TrueHD, though WB is *really* lame with lossless audio regardless of format so I'm pessimistic about them going the extra mile (extra mile for them, that is. Lossless audio seems to be standard-fare for Sony, MGM, Fox, and Disney).
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#10 of 69 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 05:35 AM

I'm down with this. I really enjoyed this movie, and I don't feel guilty about it at all. I love the "rip your guts out" ending.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#11 of 69 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,077 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 07:32 AM

I hate to say it, but this film was mainly a joke compared to the parts 1-2.. Some popcorn-entertainment, but nothing more. Thank you Jonathan Mostow, you basically ruined the series.

#12 of 69 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 08:06 AM

I enjoyed it (though not near as much as the first 2). I wasn't really impressed with the transfer on the HD DVD (a movie like this screams for a really top-notch transfer), and this is also a title that need lossless, or at least 1.5 Mbps, for the truck chase alone.

There was a rumor they were going to have a PCM track on this one, but that looks to be out the window.

#13 of 69 Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 08:59 AM

I thought Warner was putting this out with IME in anticipation of BD-J 1.1 support, not because they've figured some way around it?

#14 of 69 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,064 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 08:56 PM

All I know is that this isn't using 1.1 profile. How they're doing it is what I'm not sure of. It could be a second encode. The rumor I'm hearing is that it's using a subtitle track.

EDIT: Warner Getting More Blu, by Chris Tribbey (Home Media Magazine)

"Daniel Silverberg, VP of HD media development for the studio, noted that the T3 Blu-ray is not Blu-ray profile 1.1, the mandated programming required for all Blu-ray players introduced after Oct. 31."

#15 of 69 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,077 posts

Posted October 18 2007 - 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
"Daniel Silverberg, VP of HD media development for the studio, noted that the T3 Blu-ray is not Blu-ray profile 1.1, the mandated programming required for all Blu-ray players introduced after Oct. 31."

Damn. Neverending BD-J story. If there´s one thing that´s really annoying me with Blu-ray is their BD-J fiasco. GET IT DONE and make an official announcement after that. Not these vague "T3 has IME"-press releases IF it´s not the proper BD-J feature..

I was patience, but.. Posted Image

#16 of 69 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 18 2007 - 01:41 AM

How can they put PIP video in a subtitle track?

#17 of 69 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,064 posts

Posted October 18 2007 - 03:49 AM

Not sure. However, subtitles have been used on DVD for trivia tracks with more varied graphics (Spider-Man 2), as well as limited video content when accompanying a commentary track (original Ghostbusters release, UHF).

#18 of 69 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,380 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 18 2007 - 04:36 AM

According to that article, this isn't the first BD to use existing technology to do some sort of PIP. I suppose theoretically it could have the entire film on the disc twice, once with the superimposed "PIP."

Dunno if there's room for that with a good bitrate, though.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#19 of 69 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 18 2007 - 04:49 AM

That could work with enough bits on the disc, but you've basically dropped down to a BD25 as you'd need to run everything for the feature film (all sountracks) twice since the two video streams are not synchronous.

Also, you wouldn't be able to turn PIP on/off during disc-play... since it would basically stop your whole data stream and start playing from a different part of the disc.

#20 of 69 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted October 18 2007 - 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
According to that article, this isn't the first BD to use existing technology to do some sort of PIP. I suppose theoretically it could have the entire film on the disc twice, once with the superimposed "PIP."

Dunno if there's room for that with a good bitrate, though.
Well, they're just going to use the HD DVD encode, so if they use a BD 50 it should be easily do-able.

I don't get why they bothered holding up all these releases, then if they've decided to do the double-encode route. I guess it could be there's no hardware to test Java 1.1 on yet, or they just want to cater to early adopters for a while (though those with PS3s are likely in the clear anyway).
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

Forum Nav Content I Follow