Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Fly (1986)

Blu-ray Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted October 14 2007 - 08:08 AM

Michael Osadciw

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,051 posts

Posted October 14 2007 - 09:02 AM

thanks for the review on the fly remake. I also have the bluray edition. I have to disagree about your statements about the movie. I don't think its about the 3D look that you get with more modern films like say 5th element. I take it as it looks like it was made yesterday and not 20 years ago. to judge a older title like the fly remake. Jacob

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,798 posts

Posted October 15 2007 - 01:55 PM

I dunno, TheBat, but Michael might be onto something re: the video quality. I remember when the 2-disc DVD edition was in production, it was said that they were using the same master as the original DVD release of THE FLY (the one that had both THE FLY and THE FLY II on a single flipper disc as a double feature) because Cronenberg was screened the HD master and deemed it acceptable...

The question is, was that a 1080I master or a 1080P master? The FLY double-feature disc was released quite some time ago, and while the HD master might have been great for that time- and might have even been great for use with the 2-disc downconverted DVD edition- I wonder if perhaps it could have been improved upon for the Blu-ray release had they gone ahead and done a brand-spanking new 1080P transfer? 1986 might seem like a long time ago, but there's really no reason for a fairly big-budget film of that era not to have the "3-D pop" that folks have become so enamored of on the HD optical formats.

Vincent

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,051 posts

Posted October 15 2007 - 02:34 PM

looked fine to me. Jacob

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted October 16 2007 - 05:30 AM

1980's filmstock, for the most part, is not that good. Even Kodak admits it. So, it may be as good as you're likely to see unless they did use a 1080i master. The audio, barring a complete overhaul with new Foley and sound effects (like with the original The Terminator and Das Boot), probably is a good representation of the original. Hopefully, more people can hear the DTS-MA lossless track since players and decoders are finally available that handle it. Dan

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel

Screenwriter

• 1,077 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 02:22 AM

Thanks for the review. I would like to ask, did you listen using DTS Master or downconverted DTS?

Classics on Blu-ray is what it is all about!

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 02:41 AM

Regarding the 20th Century Fox intro, it seems to me that few films used the whole fanfare until more recent years, the Star Wars films being the exceptions. Star Wars brought it back in 1977, and I believe the LSO re-recorded it for ESB, which is why it sounds a whole lot better there than in Star Wars.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted October 17 2007 - 02:48 AM

I agree. I think people expect too much out of films of this era, Robocop being another example. What are people going to do when they start watching films like French Connection (or maybe I'm thinking of the sequel), when the handheld footrace shots are clearly on 16mm?

But if it's a 1080i master, someone will figure it out soon enough.

Funny how it's the older films (pre-80's) that people don't think are deserving of HD ("they weren't shot in HD"Posted Image ) that can be cleaned up a whole lot better and have that "3D pop" (a criterion I'm growing to hate), since they were shot on superior film stock. Of course, if you start watching old 70 mm flicks, the resolution (or lack of) and grain of newer Super35 scope films can drive you bonkers if you're a stickler for the low-grain, 3D look.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted October 19 2007 - 12:17 PM

Robert I listend to the DTS core...or, according to the Panasonic DMP-BD10A, DTS-HD (I don't think it's giving a "high resolution" signal...it still soulds like core to me...but the players is recognising it as DTS-HDMA). Mike

Michael Osadciw

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted October 19 2007 - 01:33 PM

The film stock from about 1982-83 on was vastly superior to the film stock being used in the 60s and 70 with respect to not being subject to fading over time. I think one of the reasons that some people think that the film stocks used in the 80s were inferior is because films from that time IE Aliens, look fairly grainy. This is mainly because of the introduction of high speed film. Aliens for example was shot on a iso 400 speed film before the introduction of t-grain film. However the range of color and the latitude of exposure of the film from the mid 80s is a signification improvement on what came before. Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted October 19 2007 - 02:07 PM

Doug, awesome to know. Thanks. Posted Image

Michael Osadciw

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,798 posts

Posted October 21 2007 - 07:27 AM

This talk of filmstock just reminded me of something. I could swear I read an old interview with THE FLY cinematographer Mark Irwin where he said he liked to shoot using Agfa 35mm negative stock as opposed to the more popular Kodak. This might have something to do with any perceived image quality inconsistencies, as well.

Agfa has long sense discontinued their line of 35mm motion picture negative filmstocks.

Vincent

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Greg K

Greg K

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted November 05 2007 - 06:55 AM

A bit off-topic, but totally worth mentioning...how cool are these?

http://www.sideshowt.....cgi?item=7327

http://www.sideshowt.....cgi?item=7328

I hope Sideshow makes other products with the license. I've already pre-ordered Brundlefly.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   John Kwong

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted November 05 2007 - 11:17 PM

Just recieved this but haven't put it through the paces yet but after readng the review, am looking forward to seeing this.

Posted Image

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   HighDefDiscNews

HighDefDiscNews

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted November 06 2007 - 02:29 PM

I'd just like to say this has some really impressive bonus materials!
Justin Sluss of HighDefDiscNews.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users