What's new

Who knows about older Sony big sceens (1 Viewer)

David McGough

Second Unit
I now have this 37 VIZIO HD and sure do like the picture.
I have a Older Sony KP-61H510 up stairs in my HT Room.
I already have another Direct TV HD receiver.

I'm just not sure if this Sony 50" is HD..
I bought it about 7 years ago. I thought it was HD Ready what ever that means. I looked at the back and did not see a HDMI hook up.

I goggled it but did not find much on it. I thought I knew were the book on it was.

Anybody have any information.
If it is HD what I do for the HDMI? My VIZIO has a HDMI button.
I know this will not have the same clean picture but I hope so
Fill me in if you can
Thanks

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Hook up a HD source to the Sony with component cables. I believe it should theoretically look the same as HDMI, and HDMI is just an all-in-one solution.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
If it's "HD Ready", then it supports HD. "HD Ready" just means that it doesn't have an internal HDTV tuner to watch over-the-air broadcasts. I couldn't find any information on that specific model, so I have no idea what it supports.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
That's a KP61HS10, not a KP61H510.

The owner's manual can be found here:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-...l?mdl=KP61HS10

It is a 4/3 aspect ratio HD-ready tv. Requires an external tuner connected via component video. This was one of the many 4/3 aspect ratio HD ready RPTVs available around 1998-2001 or so, and the only one I know of that did a true raster squeeze when fed 1080i 16/9 HD material, meaning it squeezed it's 1080i scanlines down into a 16/9 area on the screen.

HDMI is not necessary to get HD, component works fine. It is necessary for upconversion of SD dvd due to copy protection issues but hundreds of thousands of pre-HDMI HD sets are in use and working just fine with component inputs. The set will do the squeeze automatically when fed a 1080i signal, and should also do so for progressive scan dvd if you set the player to output 480p and 16/9 aspect ratio.

It will work with an HD DirecTV receiver, you may have to play with the aspect ratio settings on the sat box to make it work with this 4/3 set as most boxes are now set for 16/9 sets as default.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks