Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MX-650 Universal Remote

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Mark Starratt

Mark Starratt

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 09 2007 - 02:15 AM

It was a tossup between this and the Logitech Harmony 880 that Ron just reviewed. The easy programming of the 880 was very appealing, but I've owned a lower end Harmony for about 6 months and I found it quite frustrating. Although the Help button does resolve problems when equipment doesn't power up, it kept happening. One button stopped working completely. My brother-in-law raved about the MX-650 that he sells at the store where he works and I knew I could get it for about $50 less than the Harmony. That wasn't the issue though. I wanted one that would just work the way it should, and that I could put it in my wife's hands and she could switch between DVR, DVD, and just plain old TV. The programming was a little tedious at first, but once you become familiar with it, the remote setup is very intuitive. The button layout is great and the unit is comforable to hold. While the old Harmony would control my D-Link 320 Media Server, the directional control would skip down every other menu item. By manually programming the MX-650 button for button, the D-Link works better with this remote than the OEM control that came with it. (Perhaps due to the strength of the IR signal?) There are so many macros available to program, and the fact that you can insert delays in the macro sequence I was even able to setup one that switches my speaker configuration for using my outdoor speakers This was something that I couldn't do with any other remote other than the one that came with my Pioneer receiver. And that took quite a few button presses. I'm picking up the R/F extender for this to use on my deck. If it works as well as the remote itself does, I'll be one happy camper.
Mark