Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted September 07 2007 - 02:44 PM

CHUD's review: http://www.chud.com/...eviews&id=11623

excerpt:

Quote:
There's a relationship here to Peckinpah's Pat Garret and Billy The Kid, the chase movie famously about a man who wants to be caught chased by one who doesn't want to catch him. There's also an obvious relationship to the films of Terrence Malick; to Badlands, which tracked the instant mythology of killer Charles Starkweather; and to Days of Heaven, from which Andrew Dominick and skilled cinematographer Roger Deakins draw evident visual inspiration. But this is no Malick clone. Dominick is more fascinated with men's interactions with one another than with their environment.

Nevertheless, Dominick's camera lovingly roves over the Canadian plains with a patient grace rarely seen outside Malick. But he's more subjective, and we're led to believe that long glances at a field or sky are looking into James and Ford, rather than at the landscape in spite of them. And when the violence hits, Dominick lends it a thudding power, but strips away the romanticism of the tales Robert Ford loved. The film isn't frequently violent, but it is brutally and frankly so. There's no gloss on a man being shot in the back, other than the air of foreshadowing and acceptance the first time it happens.

Variety's review: http://www.variety.c....?categoryId=31

Todd McCarthy:

Quote:
A ravishing, magisterial, poetic epic that moves its characters toward their tragic destinies with all the implacability of a Greek drama, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" is one of the best Westerns of the 1970s, which represents the highest possible praise. It's a magnificent throwback to a time when filmmakers found all sorts of ways to refashion Hollywood's oldest and most durable genre. Given the narrower current notion of what constitutes an acceptable commercial feature, Andrew Dominik's daring high-wire act will trod a very hard road to find secure theatrical footing, which suggests Warner Bros. might do best to nurture it in a small number of theaters in the hope that critical support and word of mouth will snowball into long runs and a slow rollout.

Regards,
Nathan
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 12:51 AM

James B is at the Toronto film festival and has seen it. While not a full review, he gives some thoughts here. Bscially said the beginning and end are very strong but has issues with the middle saying its too long and spends too much time focusing on minor characters.

http://www.reelviews...tiff2007_3.html

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   TwoKings

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 06:50 AM

anyone planning on seeing it this weekend? I am going to be in Austin nextweekend and plan on catching a screening of it. I can't wait.

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted September 24 2007 - 12:23 PM

James Bs review...

http://www.reelviews....ion_jesse.html

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 10:29 AM

This goes wider on October 5th.

Regards,
Nathan

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   TwoKings

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 01:00 PM

Nice, seeing it friday and can't wait.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted September 26 2007 - 02:10 AM

"This goes wider on October 5th."

I was hoping I would be able to see it this weekend. Just checked and its not playing near me friday so I guess Oct 5it is.Posted Image

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted October 07 2007 - 10:23 AM

A few thoughts on the casting of small parts: strangely, the Missouri governor who strikes a deal with the Ford brothers to knock off Jesse James is played by James Carville. I actually didn't think he was bad, but it was a jarring cameo.

Michael Parks plays the sherriff in those same sequences. His most notable role of late was a double part in Kill Bill, as the sherriff in El Paso ("this tall drink of cocksucker ain't dead") and the aging Mexican gangster ("you would have been my number one lady"). He's great in this small part, and in the one scene in the governor's office with Carville, the contrast between casting even a minor role with a real actor or a fake actor is readily apparent.

Last, but definitely not least, there was the stunning actress who played the frisky trophy wife of an old deaf aristocrat--her name is Kailin See. IMDB lists an uncredited appearance for her in Brokeback Mountain as "Hippy girl"; I just put that DVD in to see if I could find her, but she didn't seem to be in the one scene I thought of that might have someone who looks like a hippie (the 4th of July fireworks display). Man, is she hot. I'd love to see her get some more visible roles off this one.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 07 2007 - 03:22 PM

The more I think about it, only one other film I've ever seen has made me feel the same underlying moodiness and persistent vibe that this film did. That film is Barry Lyndon. The unspoken is often the most important, and the attention to detail is immaculate. Shots linger, voice over narrates far too much for a typical film yet doesn't falter despite this, and the acting is flawless.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,082 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 07 2007 - 09:48 PM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted October 10 2007 - 11:17 PM

Great film. My overlong review is in the review thread. I had some minor qualms that were more the result of misguided expectations then on the part of the film itself (The Malick comparison is too problematic; Dominik has his own approach. Someone needs to tell the critical community that Malick is more than good nature shots); I look forward to seeing it again. I also wanted to mention we had about 20-30 walkouts at our screening, happening consistently for the first 2 hours or so. This sort of thing happen anywhere else?

Regards,
Nathan

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted October 11 2007 - 09:29 AM

STILL isnt playing near me

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted October 27 2007 - 11:49 AM

Downloaded the score from ITunes today...worth every penny of the $10 I paid for it. Posted Image

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 28 2007 - 01:31 AM

Got it last week...it's quite good.

Glad you saw and enjoyed the film, Chris!
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted October 28 2007 - 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
Got it last week...it's quite good.

Glad you saw and enjoyed the film, Chris!

It's the surprise of the year for me, so far. And, I think I reacted to it much the same way you reacted to Zodiac, while my reaction to Zodiac was about the same as your reaction to Jesse James.

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted October 29 2007 - 08:11 AM

No mentions of the homoerotic undertones? The tension is sometimes so palpable you can cut thru it with a knife!

--
H

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted October 29 2007 - 12:46 PM

Is this film EVER going to come to my redneck-uneducated city? ARRRRGGGG. Posted Image

sorry for the attitude; I'm still pouting over A&M losing to Kansas saturday. Posted Image

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   CoreyII

CoreyII

Second Unit

• 474 posts

Posted October 29 2007 - 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan V
This goes wider on October 5th.

Regards,
Nathan

It's way past October 5 and this film still seems to be in a limited release status. I live in the Los Angeles area and this film is still in only a handful of theaters.

Does anyone know if this film will distributed to more theaters in the upcoming weeks?

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted October 29 2007 - 02:57 PM

Unfortunately, I highly doubt it. TerryRL said its rollout depended on per-theatre averages of the opening weeks, which have not been high enough, I guess. It's already left 1 of the 2 theatres it has in Seattle, and is down to just one matinee showing a day here. In any case, let's hope that means the DVD will come faster. I saw this a month ago, and it's still stuck in my head. I've never seen anything quite like it, nor have I felt at the end of a movie how I felt after this one- I can't quite describe it.

Regards,
Nathan

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted October 30 2007 - 12:42 AM

A year late and it gets a half assed release.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow