Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Dial M for Murder (1954) - What OAR?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,912 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted October 07 2007 - 03:31 AM

At what aspect ratio was Hitchcock's DIAL M FOR MURDER originally projected? The Region 1 DVD is full frame 1.33:1 and every review which I have read claims that this is the original theatrical ratio, as it also says on the box. However the Region 2 & 4 DVD is 1.85:1 anamorphic and the box for that also says that it is the original theatrical ratio. I have both DVD versions and the 1.85:1 looks framed correctly. There is no essential information missing from the top and bottom of the frame. The film was first released in May 1954 and by then the vast majority of theaters were no longer showing films in 1.33:1. I have also seen the film projected in a cinema on a re-release at 1.85:1. So it seems to me that the Region 1 full frame version is surely incorrect?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,628 posts

Posted October 07 2007 - 03:49 AM

IMDB lists 3 aspect ratios for this film, and I suspected why, due to the original 3D intent for this film. They list this film at 1.17 3D anamorphic, 1.86 2D theatrical and 1.37 dual strip 3D. I'll bet Bob Furmanek might know, or Robert Harris could give a clue.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,794 posts

Posted October 07 2007 - 05:41 AM

DIAL M was photographed for 1.85:1 presentation in theaters.

Check out this article http://www.3dfilmpf....info-hondo.html and specifically the link in paragraph 7 "composed for the aspect ratio of 1.85:1."

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,628 posts

Posted October 07 2007 - 12:50 PM

Cool!

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted October 10 2007 - 12:01 AM

When I saw DIAL M FOR MURDER projected in its proper aspect ratio of 1.85:1 at the World 3-D Expo I was once again impressed by Hitchcock's compositions. It looked perfect. I suppose the sliver of top and bottom information is critical on tiny television screens, but theatrical projection on the big screen makes it clear that nothing is lost or missing at 1.85:1. If anything, balance and symmetry are restored to the film. For sheer quality control, the World 3-D Expo set a standard that the industry should take note of and emulate.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,794 posts

Posted October 10 2007 - 06:31 AM

Thank you very much Richard. We tried our best to present all the films at Expo 2 in the correct aspect ratio. I'm glad that you appreciated our efforts. Seeing such films as Miss Sadie Thompson, Taza, Son of Cochise, Kiss Me Kate and The Glass Web in widescreen was quite a treat! In fact, we just confirmed that the 3 Stooges short Spooks was filmed for 1.85. We ran a print in that ratio, and it looks great.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,941 posts

Posted October 10 2007 - 07:32 AM

Bob F - the current dvd of Dial M is full screen. Does that mean we are missing the sides of the picture. or is this film open matte and we are seeing too much of top and bottom?

#8 of 8 ONLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,470 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 10 2007 - 08:22 AM

The Beaver's screencap comparison clearly shows that the R1 is cropped at the sides.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...