What's new

SSX Tricky: Cube or PS2 (and other similar situations) (1 Viewer)

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
I'm prefacing this by saying i'm totally platform agnostic-

Currently I've got a cube and PS2 hooked up to my HT, xbox is coming.

My big question- is there a site that reviews and compares the same game across mulitple consoles?

Specifically, I'm torn between ssx tricky for ps2 and the cube- they both seems to have their ups and downs, and since the control mechanics seem to have been tweaked anyway, the controller transition learning curve won't be an issue here (unlike with tony hawk- i'm so used to the ps2 and DC versions, I think I am going to have to go with THPS3 on the ps2).

Anyway, your thoughts on this is appreciated.

I almost wonder if the gap isn't filled, if it would be worth setting up a site just for reviews of games available across platforms. or at least a good authorititative thread here, like the progressive scan one.

I think alot of serious gamers do own more than one machine, and they should get the best versional available of the game, regardless of hardware affinity.

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I would probably go with the PS2 version. This is the platform it was initially developed for and will not suffer from "port syndrome." With the Gamecube, from what I've read, THPS3 suffered from this and has some framerate problems...which isn't good when you're trying to pull off some of those tricks.

Ian

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the same situation with Simpson's Road Rage. I have all three consoles, and am wondering if there's any difference between the versions...

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
i believe i read somewhere that the gamecube version of Tricky as better textures than than the PS2 version, while the PS2 version features realtime DTS sound- however, i read here that the DTS, well, sucks.

EA's tricky site is of no use- they don't outline the differences between the 3.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Considering that the Xbox version of SSX Tricky will be the only version of the game with both realtime DD5.1 and 480p, I'd cast my eye in that direction initially.

But I'd wait for reviews before buying. Ports can be a mixed bag, and sometimes they are a lot better or worse than expected.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Rob, yours is a great question! I find myself in the same boat as far as "which version of a game to buy".

Many of the current ports are downright BAD! Look at Crazy Taxi. The PS2 version should have been much better, and reviews of the GameCube version are equally underwhelming.

I suspect that software companies will continue this "shovelware" practice in the forseeable future, content to make a quick buck off their hot properties. Over the long haul, though, companies who take extra time and care to produce ports that play to the strength of the individual hardware platform will utlimately prevail... At least, I hope they do!

Gary

Corey Albers

Agent
there is a 'multi-console' forum on the IGN.com boards which might be helpful... i'm in the same position. now that companies are porting their games to every system, i'm not sure which way to go. since the original SSX was designed for PS2, i think Tricky should be bought for it as well.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Choose the version of the game with the most extra features. If they are all equal, then pick it for its original console. If they are all not ports (simultaneously developed), pick the one with the best graphics.

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
morgan- obviously :rolleyes
Shy of renting all three and running them through the grinder, do you know of any place to find all of the info you mentioned?
Also, some of it is more subjective- assuming the trend of richer texture on the cube, but realtime 5.1 sound on PS2, which call to make....
I suppose i would like to see a chart that had all the specs such as sound format, and 16x9, 480 p, controller abnormalities, original dev target, etc... laid out in an orderly fashion.
The other thing to keep in mind is that some ports are obviously much better than others. I believe some firms may also have simutaneous development schedules as opposed to developing one then porting it over at the end as well.
(game companies that do this allude me, but I know even microsoft now builds it's mac apps from the ground up, rather than the couple hellish years they attempted to port over the pc version.)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
When it comes to a button-happy game like SSX Tricky, I'm opting for the version using the best controller. In this case that's the Gamecube.

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I read somewhere, on IGN I believe, that the Xbox version will feature some graphical tricks not found on the other two versions -- bump-mapped ice, for instance.

Given that and the real-time 5.1 sound, I'm holding out for the Xbox.

In fact, I'm holding out for Xbox versions of nearly all such games -- Max Payne, Batman Vengeance, Simpsons Road Rage, etc. Although the graphics might be nearly equal across all platforms, the 5.1 sound is a selling point for me.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
...the best controller. In this case that's the Gamecube.
Hmmm, I'm probably not the only one to think so, but I feel Sony's Dual Shock 2 controller is the best controller around. That thing is perfect to me. The feel, button layout, force feedback, analog sticks, everything just feels so natural.

I've tried every controller and I would rank them in order of preference (with Sony's way out in front)...

1. Sony PS2

2. GameCube (Big minus for only 2 trigger buttons, what is this? 1996?)

3. Dreamcast

4. XBox (I like the layout, it is just too big and cumbersome. So much wasted space).

To be on topic, I would get the PS2 version. Its DVD, it has realtime 5.1 and was designed for the console.

Doug

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
For SSX, I would say the PS2 controller is better. That said, why not get that PS2 to GCN controller converter?

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
To be on topic, I would get the PS2 version. Its DVD, it has realtime 5.1 and was designed for the console.
Hate to break the news to you Doug but, the quasi-DTS that is in 'Tricky; is terrible, from what games that have played it have told me.

In fact, some of the guys here have said it was so bad that they turned it off and went back to simple sterio! Must be pretty bad.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I have also heard (even in IGN reviews) that the DTS in SSX Tricky is the only way to play it.

I have also heard that it slows the game down.

Then someone said absolutley not.

Everyone has their opinion.

Maybe the people who told you about it didn't have a setting correct?

Doug

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
IGN isn't known for being technically savvy in HT sound and video. I'll trust my fellow HTF'ers.

FWIW: I preferred SSX's sound to Tricky's DTS. It sounds really unnatural.

-Dave

MatS

Screenwriter
Tricked Out
EA's GameCube Tricky port proves to be a lot of fun, but lacks the polish of the PS2 original.
Link Removed
Presentation
Full extreme snowboarding package, stylish menus, hip characters, top music, etc. 8.0
Graphics
Gigantic environments, great shading, fluid animation, polished particle effects, with some blurry textures and sometimes sloppy framerate. PS2 version looks and runs better. 6.0
Sound
Sounds great. Cool, slick music, ambient sound effects. Often over-the-top character dialogue. No DTS support, which PS2 offers. 8.0
Gameplay
Aged, but functional trick mechanics still get the job done and the big air potential is unsurpassed. Clunky control adaptation makes for a frustrating setup though. 7.0
Lasting Appeal
Arcade play style dishes up no-brainer satisfaction and two-player mode extends value. Returning, if reorganized tracks are easily beaten though. Only two completely new over SSX. 7.0
OVERALL SCORE (not an average)

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I've been playing SSX Tricky for awhile now with DTS. I agreed, the DTS is not as good as I expected to be. However, it is still fun to hear your oppenents coming at you from behind during the race. :)
bruce

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I got the GCN version yesterday. The controlls are way too easy. The "tighter" feel of Nintendo's analog stick (over the looser PS2 stick) is part of the reason but the game controls feel like they've been tweaked for beginners (this happened as the Wipeout series progressed as well).

I absolutely HATE the character voices. EA made a big deal about the celebrity talent but it really gets annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks