What's new

Warner Picks Up Peanuts (1 Viewer)

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Great news about remastering the Peanuts animated shows. The question I have is why is it a must (other than making money) that these "episodes" be released separately? Why not package them like a volume collection instead of each disc having one story.....

Thoughts?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I guess they're thinking they'll make more money releasing 30 individual episodes at $19.95 each, rather than a boxed set priced at $59.95?

Whatever--I refuse to buy all those specials separately. If they want to an economical boxed set, then I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll just have to do without.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
As long as they come out. Paramount was just sitting on them; they still haven't released the last two theatrical films; does this deal affect them?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

It looks like the two Cinema Center Films features (A Boy Named Charlie Brown and Snoopy Come Home) are still owned by CBS, while Race For Your Life and Bon Voyage are still Paramount.

djgolfer59

Auditioning
Real Name
david
I love the peanuts, its disappointing that they cant put out a box set instead.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Paramount has neglected and abused pretty much every cartoon in their posession that isn't Spongebob or South Park, so it's glad that at least the Peanuts specials were able to escape that hellhole.

Quote from the HMR article:

So it sounds like the more familiar Holiday specials will reissued on their own (hopefully not without other specials as bonuses), while the less well-known specials get the boxset treatment, although I hope Warner will eventually do something will everything (both non-holiday and holiday) further down the road). And if they're able to get Bill Melendez to do commentaries or Retrospectives, woo-hoo for them.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Does this include The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show? I've been waiting FOREVER for these. It sounds like I'll be double dipping on the classic holiday ones.

moogaboo

Agent
Real Name
John H.
I think this is really great news, and I can't wait to see what bonus features the deluxe editions will have in store. Also, I'm hoping the specials will be restored from their currently edited state.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am still waiting for "Race for your Life, Charlie Brown". I guess this Warner news doesn't help me any. :frowning:

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
It's kind of like if they released the Simpsons and only stuck one episode per DVD then I would certainly pass on them. I'll pass on Peanuts until they can come up with a fair deal.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

I'm not. I think that's in reference to any new releases, that is, the non-classic specials.

I'm just happy we're finally getting the specials out! I hope the Charlie Brown and Snoopy show will be included too.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

Well, what they mean is that Linus is going to be redrawn as a Goth, Lucy will be a terrorist, and Snoopy will be a crack-smoking junkie layabout dispensing philosophy from the top of his doghouse.

Ohh! Wait, they mean the designs of the dvd cases. Oh, that's different.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member

TRANSLATION:

Charles M. Schultz is worm food. Please join us as we overhaul his beloved characters into something that is completely unrecognizable to anyone with taste, but may sell a few copies to ten-year-olds who won't know any better. Think LOONATICS.

Actually, I have no proof of this whatsoever, but WB doesn't exactly have a great track record with "updating" beloved characters.

Haden

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised that this is the only recent thread I've found about the new Warner's releases of Peanuts, and more surprising that nobody has commented on the first 2 announced releases:

Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown:
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Charlie...Valentine/8504

It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown:
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Charlie...er-Beagle/8528

I think it's great the way we're getting deluxe 2-disc releases like this, with lesser-known episodes included rather than everything released individually as some in this thread were speculating. This is exactly how it should be done!

With the obvious holiday themes of these first two, I guess it's safe to assume we'll eventually get the deluxe treatment for the Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas specials as well, but will they come in later 2008 or is WB going to stretch the releases over multiple years?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
When these turn up in reviewer's hands with truly remastered picture quality and NO DVNR present whatsoever, than and only than will I applaud Warner Bros!

I will also hold out for a more comprehensive packaging of these specials. WHV can do a lot better than a measly two per set, and frankly, the extra features "celebrating the universe of these characters" sound like useless throwaways.

I own every single TV special, CB&S episode, etc. from the deluxe German import set that collected them all and while pq is not optimal (evidence of DVNR) until it's proven that this is corrected with the new R1 releases, I will not be jumping to any pre-orders.

I also won't be spending $20 for two specials when Warner Bros. could easily package triple that onto two-disc sets, and should do even more with larger collections for better value.

I am extremely excited about this news and glad that the cartoons are out of Paramount's hands (I hope the theatrical films are pulled away from them too!) but I just hope that Warner Bros. does them right and the right way to do them is to clean up every frame and package them all together in a deluxe set and make them available to purchase as a collection!

I pray that they are not marred by DVNR, digital artifacts, interlacing problems resulted from errors in mastering and other issues that have turned up in the past... but I'm hopeful!

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator

I have read nowhere that these are 2-disc releases for each special.

If the remasters show significant image improvement over the currently available releases, then I'll consider repurchasing but will wait until Warner Bros have worked they way through all the holidays in the hope they will package all the individual releases in a more affordable and space saving box set.

LCD22

Screenwriter
The next two "Remastered Deluxe Editions" from Warner are:

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (which will include "It's Magic, Charlie Brown")

Charlie Brown/Peanuts Specials DVD news: Announcement for It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: Remastered Deluxe Edition | TVShowsOnDVD.com

You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown (though bonus special is not known yet)

Charlie Brown/Peanuts Specials DVD news: Plans for You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown: Remastered Deluxe Edition | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Now the real reason I'm bumping this up is to skip ahead and ask Warner to please find a way to include the original Coca-Cola credits for "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks