Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner Picks Up Peanuts

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 of 51 OFFLINE   Joe*A

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 05:33 AM

Great news about remastering the Peanuts animated shows. The question I have is why is it a must (other than making money) that these "episodes" be released separately? Why not package them like a volume collection instead of each disc having one story..... Thoughts?

#2 of 51 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,446 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 06:25 AM

I guess they're thinking they'll make more money releasing 30 individual episodes at $19.95 each, rather than a boxed set priced at $59.95? Whatever--I refuse to buy all those specials separately. If they want to an economical boxed set, then I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll just have to do without.

#3 of 51 ONLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,573 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 04 2007 - 08:05 AM

As long as they come out. Paramount was just sitting on them; they still haven't released the last two theatrical films; does this deal affect them?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#4 of 51 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,507 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 10:31 AM

Here's more on the Warner acquisition:

http://www.homemedia....ticle_ID=11308

#5 of 51 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,483 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted October 04 2007 - 10:44 AM

It looks like the two Cinema Center Films features (A Boy Named Charlie Brown and Snoopy Come Home) are still owned by CBS, while Race For Your Life and Bon Voyage are still Paramount.

#6 of 51 OFFLINE   djgolfer59

djgolfer59

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 10:56 AM

I love the peanuts, its disappointing that they cant put out a box set instead.

#7 of 51 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 12:21 PM

Paramount has neglected and abused pretty much every cartoon in their posession that isn't Spongebob or South Park, so it's glad that at least the Peanuts specials were able to escape that hellhole. Quote from the HMR article:
So it sounds like the more familiar Holiday specials will reissued on their own (hopefully not without other specials as bonuses), while the less well-known specials get the boxset treatment, although I hope Warner will eventually do something will everything (both non-holiday and holiday) further down the road). And if they're able to get Bill Melendez to do commentaries or Retrospectives, woo-hoo for them.

#8 of 51 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 674 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 12:41 PM

Does this include The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show? I've been waiting FOREVER for these. It sounds like I'll be double dipping on the classic holiday ones.

#9 of 51 OFFLINE   moogaboo

moogaboo

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 03:05 PM

I think this is really great news, and I can't wait to see what bonus features the deluxe editions will have in store. Also, I'm hoping the specials will be restored from their currently edited state.

#10 of 51 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Test Subject

• 2,066 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted October 04 2007 - 03:11 PM

I am still waiting for "Race for your Life, Charlie Brown". I guess this Warner news doesn't help me any. Posted Image
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#11 of 51 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 05:00 PM

It's kind of like if they released the Simpsons and only stuck one episode per DVD then I would certainly pass on them. I'll pass on Peanuts until they can come up with a fair deal.

#12 of 51 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 07:42 PM

Anybody else a bit worried by this line from the press release?

#13 of 51 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted October 05 2007 - 12:18 AM

I'm not. I think that's in reference to any new releases, that is, the non-classic specials. I'm just happy we're finally getting the specials out! I hope the Charlie Brown and Snoopy show will be included too.
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#14 of 51 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,446 posts

Posted October 05 2007 - 04:42 AM

Well, what they mean is that Linus is going to be redrawn as a Goth, Lucy will be a terrorist, and Snoopy will be a crack-smoking junkie layabout dispensing philosophy from the top of his doghouse. Ohh! Wait, they mean the designs of the dvd cases. Oh, that's different.

#15 of 51 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,731 posts

Posted October 06 2007 - 06:19 AM

TRANSLATION: Charles M. Schultz is worm food. Please join us as we overhaul his beloved characters into something that is completely unrecognizable to anyone with taste, but may sell a few copies to ten-year-olds who won't know any better. Think LOONATICS. Actually, I have no proof of this whatsoever, but WB doesn't exactly have a great track record with "updating" beloved characters.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#16 of 51 OFFLINE   Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 02:25 PM

I'm surprised that this is the only recent thread I've found about the new Warner's releases of Peanuts, and more surprising that nobody has commented on the first 2 announced releases:

Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown:
http://tvshowsondvd.....Valentine/8504

It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown:
http://tvshowsondvd.....er-Beagle/8528

I think it's great the way we're getting deluxe 2-disc releases like this, with lesser-known episodes included rather than everything released individually as some in this thread were speculating. This is exactly how it should be done!

With the obvious holiday themes of these first two, I guess it's safe to assume we'll eventually get the deluxe treatment for the Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas specials as well, but will they come in later 2008 or is WB going to stretch the releases over multiple years?

#17 of 51 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted December 03 2007 - 01:50 AM

When these turn up in reviewer's hands with truly remastered picture quality and NO DVNR present whatsoever, than and only than will I applaud Warner Bros! I will also hold out for a more comprehensive packaging of these specials. WHV can do a lot better than a measly two per set, and frankly, the extra features "celebrating the universe of these characters" sound like useless throwaways. I own every single TV special, CB&S episode, etc. from the deluxe German import set that collected them all and while pq is not optimal (evidence of DVNR) until it's proven that this is corrected with the new R1 releases, I will not be jumping to any pre-orders. I also won't be spending $20 for two specials when Warner Bros. could easily package triple that onto two-disc sets, and should do even more with larger collections for better value. I am extremely excited about this news and glad that the cartoons are out of Paramount's hands (I hope the theatrical films are pulled away from them too!) but I just hope that Warner Bros. does them right and the right way to do them is to clean up every frame and package them all together in a deluxe set and make them available to purchase as a collection! I pray that they are not marred by DVNR, digital artifacts, interlacing problems resulted from errors in mastering and other issues that have turned up in the past... but I'm hopeful!

#18 of 51 OFFLINE   Dustin James

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted December 03 2007 - 04:25 PM

I have read nowhere that these are 2-disc releases for each special. If the remasters show significant image improvement over the currently available releases, then I'll consider repurchasing but will wait until Warner Bros have worked they way through all the holidays in the hope they will package all the individual releases in a more affordable and space saving box set.

#19 of 51 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,507 posts

Posted May 31 2008 - 10:04 AM

The next two "Remastered Deluxe Editions" from Warner are:

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (which will include "It's Magic, Charlie Brown")

Charlie Brown/Peanuts Specials DVD news: Announcement for It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: Remastered Deluxe Edition | TVShowsOnDVD.com

You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown (though bonus special is not known yet)

Charlie Brown/Peanuts Specials DVD news: Plans for You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown: Remastered Deluxe Edition | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Now the real reason I'm bumping this up is to skip ahead and ask Warner to please find a way to include the original Coca-Cola credits for "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

#20 of 51 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted May 31 2008 - 02:02 PM

C'mon WHV. You know people will be blown away by it.
I don't like SPAM!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users