What's new

30 Rock - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think this is the funniest show on the air, and one of the best comedies in recent years. Watched the first season when it aired, and got the DVDs last month, and I continue to be impressed with the writing and the performances.

Anyway, tonight is the season 2 premiere on NBC. Jerry Seinfeld is guesting. Edie Falco is joining this season too, but I don't know if she is on tonight or not. If you haven't given the show a try yet, I recommend it.

An article in today's New York Times: Sophomore Jitters and Seinfeld Vision
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/ar...on&oref=slogin

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to the season premiere with Seinfeld. I just did a marathon of season 1 when it came out on DVD a few weeks back so now I'm all caught up. Honestly, if I had known the show was this funny I definitely would've been watching on a weekly basis last year. The combination of Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan and Alec Baldwin is comic gold and this is one of the top 3 sitcoms on TV right now(along with The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm). :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I read the linked review and even though it was, at best, uneven, I'll watch tonight. I watched a few episodes last year and enjoyed them. I need to find time to watch the first season. One thing for sure, I'm glad I bailed on "Grey's Anatomy"!

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Don't forget about 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Way Too much advertising done during this show. The Snapple thing last year was funny, but this episode was nothing but a 30 minute commercial.

I hope this is a one time thing or tonight this show jumped the shark for me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. And the heavy handed knock-you-over-the-head-so-a-retard-could-get-it didn't help matters. The jokes still worked, for the most part, but there was a whole lot fewer of them in the half hour. There were times when I felt like the momentum was stalling to give us a chance to laugh; hardly better than a multi-camera show with laughtrack.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Ben Silverman worked hard over the summer to get Jerry Seinfeld to do a guest spot.

I have a feeling that this show was an "afterthought" -- meaning that it wasn't originally intended to be the season opener, but they pieced it together as a way to cash in on the former king of "Must See TV."

The show works better with the interplay between Jack, Liz and the rest of the cast.

The show will get better as the season goes along. This ep was simply a publicity stunt, that apparently backfired if we are to believe the comments on here.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Last night was good, but not great. Last season started of the same way. It progressively got better with each episode. The Liz/Seinfeld scene was very good: "are you making fun of me?" "No, this is what I sound like when I'm crying".

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Hopefully, that will be the last time I see promos for that bee movie. That was the only part I didn't like.

I'm just glad to see new episodes again.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed it. It wasn't fall-off-the-couch funny like most of last season, but it was still pretty damn good. Loved Jack and Jerry's "negotiations."

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Defintely not a great season premiere and certainly not as funny as the majority of episodes in season one. I think the Seinfeld promotional stunt kinda backfired as he wasn't really funny at all. The only real laughs in this episode came from Baldwin. MILF Island had me on the floor. :D

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Now this was a return to form.

"Me Want Food"

The entire bit with the ALWAYS classic NBC Doctor :)

"Are you wearing a 1 piece bathing suit instead of underwear?"

"It's just how the greeks attacked!"

Great ep, funny, off kilter.. punchline every few seconds. This should have been the lead off episode in an ideal world.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
By the way, I think the best to enjoy 30 Rock is to have some experience understanding how shows like Saturday Night Live works (after all, creator Tina Fey is an SNL alum). It's a very "insider's" show that doesn't have a big audience according to the Nielsen ratings but that viewership is very devoted to the show.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

In that, it reminds me of the Larry Sanders Show, another classic sitcom.

BTW, I finally got around to posting a review of the season 1 DVDs. Link in signature.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
He complained that his wife said his vanity plate doesn't make sense and in fact it doesn't.

"I see you ate one too. Am I?"

Though it makes some kind of sense to him.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Dr. Spaceman always makes me laugh out loud and him pitching crystal meth as a weight loss alternative was priceless. "How important is tooth retention to you"? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks