What's new

2001: A Space Odyssey HD (1 Viewer)

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Ok... Here's one likely to stir up a debate.....and PLEASE this is NOT A FORMAT WAR question, I'm only interested on the merits of each release.

2001: A Space Odyssey will be released later this month. For those with -BOTH- HD DVD and Blu-ray players, which version will you get (and why)?

Both will be 1:2.20 aspect ratio at 1080p.

HD DVD will carry the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround sound, whereas the Blu-ray version will carry the PCM 5.1 Surround sound. And this is the only difference I see at this time.

Apparently the extras will be the same for both Hi-Def versions (as well as on the 2-Disc Standard DVD set).

Price at Amazon apparently will be the same, $29.

Have there been any pre-release reviews on any of these yet?

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
Well

There about as near identical I think as any HD release could possibly be.

It's all preference.

I'm going HD-DVD as I dont' own blu-ray. Just how it's gotta be for me i guess.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I have both and lean towards BD just because of the supposedly superior anti-scratch coating.

:)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I also have both but lean towards HD DVD (always liked the underdog) and have already preordered it. Absolutely no technical reason for the decision, just habit.:)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Dave,

"The supposedly superior anti-scratch coating" is sheer necessity on BD, because of the higher fragility and sensitivity to damage of the recorded surface. No data exist (yet) on the robustness of both solutions.

Raul,

I have chosen the HD DVD in this case, because they seem to be sufficiently equal, my BD-player (combo) didn't arrive yet and generally the HD DVD version appears to be more problemless more often (again: yet).

Cees

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I hear ya' Cees.

All I know is that I read post after post of people who get netflix rental copies of Hddvd's and have problems.
I don't hear the same comments re: BDs.

:)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
BD version for the edge in speed for the menu access and more importantly = it's still batting 1000 for flawless playbacks.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have a PS3 so its BD for me. I picked the PS3 because it also plays video games and it was only $350 if you signed up for the SONYCARD.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
On releases where the audio and video are identical, I lean BD, as my PS3 loads movies MUCH faster than my HD-A1, it's remote is far superior, and I can turn on the bitrate meter for giggles.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Amazing! Not yet one comment on the chances that Warner's TrueHD track employs Dialnorm!

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
That's exactly the point of my thread, quality of video and sound on this particular release, not a Format war debate. Just wondering if any advance copies are out there.....

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
BD for me because I have a PS3. I've preordered "2001: A Space Odyssey", "The Shining", "Eyes Wide Shut" and "A Clockwork Orange". :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm leaning on the Blu-ray version because I have had virtually no issues with BDs and my PS3. I can't say the same for HD DVDs and several HD DVD players I've owned. However, at the end of the day, I wouldn't lose sleep over which one I got.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I prefer the anti-scratch coating to none regardless of the reasons for its existance. That being said, I also prefer the higher fragility and sensitivity to damage of the recorded surface on Blu-ray Disc because it would appear that it enforces better QA during replication.

It has been my experience that if you hold a number of HD DVD discs up to a strong light, you're bound to see a couple with scratches or scuffs that appear to have been the result of the manufacturing process. These may not affect the playback, but for those who are anal-retentive by nature and concerned with the resell value of their discs it may factor into their decision. At least it does to me, all other things being equal of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks