What's new

Father Dowling/Matlock? (1 Viewer)

MTO

Agent
Real Name
mark owens
I'm surprised that neither of these Dean Hargrove series have even had a season 1 release. Any one have any leads on if they will ever be put out?

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Since Diagnosis murder is out on DVD, Father Dowling should be out, too. Tracy Nelson as sister Steve is just great.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Father Dowling Mysteries was an underrated series, IMO, and should definitely be out on DVD. I recently saw the opening credits on YouTube and it was great to see again.

I haven't voted for "Father Dowling Mysteries", but I went and did just that. Hopefully if CBS/Paramount releases this, it will come complete and unedited.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Father Dowling would be a fantastic release. I loved the banter between Sister Steve and Father Dowling. I think this show wouldn't be too expensive to produce for the studios either. I don't remember any music issues, and I think it only lasted for two seasons. Perhaps a bare bones release of just the uncut episodes, and I guess a $29.99 or $34.99 cost would sell a good number of units.

LCD22

Screenwriter
"Father Dowling Mysteries" lasted for three seasons, and you also got the pilot telefilm "Fatal Confession" that premiered in '87.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, you are correct about Father Dowling lasting three seasons. I looked it up on TV.com which showed two short seasons and one longer season, for fortysome episodes, which is why I figured two seasons. I'm guessing they would lump the first two seasons together for one release.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Here's another vote for a "Father Dowling" DVD release, the show appeals to the same mystery crowd into "Murder, She Wrote", and that's a big seller (for Universal). Besides, Tracy's one hot nun.
htf_imgcache_13958.jpeg

LCD22

Screenwriter
There's now a sign-up page on Amazon.com for "Father Dowling Mysteries" (though nothing about a forthcoming DVD release).
Amazon.com: The Father Dowling Mysteries: DVD: Tom Bosley
Edit: I just went and added Tracy Nelson, James Stephens, and Mary Wickes to the "update product info". I also corrected the name and the year. Hopefully, they'll make these changes shortly.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, four years after the last post in this thread it will finally come!
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Father-Dowling-Mysteries-Season-1/16233

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P /t/263019/father-dowling-matlock#post_3872954
Well, four years after the last post in this thread it will finally come!
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Father-Dowling-Mysteries-Season-1/16233
Yep! This is one I'll definitely be picking up. I've always enjoyed "mysteries" of any nature, and this was one of the few late 80's/early 90's series I really enjoyed.

Gary "hope we get all 3 seasons" O.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Great News!

This is one of my favourite series of the 80s and I will definitely be picking this up, hopefully its not priced too high since it only contains 7 episodes. I honestly did not think this show would see the light of day on DVD but I guess this proves that anything is possible. Disappointing to see that CBS isn't combining the first two seasons together as they were both short seasons (20 episodes total)- I guess they want to stretch it out and get more $$ out of people.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by TVonDVDJunkie05 /t/263019/father-dowling-matlock#post_3872968
Great News!

This is one of my favourite series of the 80s and I will definitely be picking this up, hopefully its not priced too high since it only contains 7 episodes. I honestly did not think this show would see the light of day on DVD but I guess this proves that anything is possible. Disappointing to see that CBS isn't combining the first two seasons together as they were both short seasons (20 episodes total)- I guess they want to stretch it out and get more $$ out of people.
You're absolutely right about the shortened season issue. This is typical of CBS though. As long as they get all three seasons out I'll be okay with it. Not thrilled, but okay.

Gary "I also never thought we'd see this one" O.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I never thought this would be coming out. Definitely a must buy for me.
I have to say that I went through a lull of now having not much to buy, but in the last 6-12 months, I've been getting a lot of new things....more Bonanza, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, and now Father Dowling.
Hoping they keep the price under $30 to encourage people to buy it. If they overprice it, I have a feeling that it will be one and done.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Hoping they keep the price under $30 to encourage people to buy it. If they overprice it, I have a feeling that it will be one and done.

This is my feeling as well, it will be priced too high and thus sales will be low. This is also the reason I was hoping they would combine the first two seasons together. I think it should be under $20, there is no way I am paying more then that for 7 episodes.

I wonder if they are releasing season 1 on its own as a test to see how it sells?!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And S2 is announced for July 10! Nice to see CBS/Paramount fast-track this title out.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Father-Dowling-Mysteries-Season-2/16819

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P /t/263019/father-dowling-matlock#post_3917214
And S2 is announced for July 10! Nice to see CBS/Paramount fast-track this title out.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Father-Dowling-Mysteries-Season-2/16819
While I am disappointed in CBS for all but abandoning their b/w material, this is a color series I'm very happy to see them continue. Hope we see S3 by the end of the year to finish it up.

Gary "that last season has a nice little Christmas episode in it so it's something I'd like to see released eventually" O.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Remember Father Dowling Mysteries being shown on ITV back in the late 80's/early 90's either on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. The first season is getting a Region 2 release on Monday 18th June, but not from Revelation Films (who have released and are releasing some CBS/P shows). Instead it's being released by Acorn Media. Front cover artwork is up on the Amazon UK listing page for the set (a new listing was added to the BBFC's website for the set last Wednesday), with 'Father Dowling Investigates' on the front cover artwork.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the heads-up, Jeff! I've held off buying the series, waiting for prices to eventually go down. So this bundle deal sounds great. (Even if a complete set is released someday, I'm guessing there won't be any additional remastering or special features, so I may as well get the bundle.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks