Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Father Dowling/Matlock?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   MTO

MTO

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 04:56 AM

I'm surprised that neither of these Dean Hargrove series have even had a season 1 release. Any one have any leads on if they will ever be put out?

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 06:16 AM

Since Diagnosis murder is out on DVD, Father Dowling should be out, too. Tracy Nelson as sister Steve is just great.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 07:29 AM

Father Dowling Mysteries was an underrated series, IMO, and should definitely be out on DVD. I recently saw the opening credits on YouTube and it was great to see again.

I haven't voted for "Father Dowling Mysteries", but I went and did just that. Hopefully if CBS/Paramount releases this, it will come complete and unedited.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   JeffO

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted October 03 2007 - 12:57 AM

Father Dowling would be a fantastic release. I loved the banter between Sister Steve and Father Dowling. I think this show wouldn't be too expensive to produce for the studios either. I don't remember any music issues, and I think it only lasted for two seasons. Perhaps a bare bones release of just the uncut episodes, and I guess a $29.99 or $34.99 cost would sell a good number of units.
TV DVDs wanted: TJ Hooker (seasons 3-5), The Fall Guy (Seasons 2-5), Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Father Dowling Mysteries, Queen of Swords, Smurfs, and Charlemagne (1994 TV miniseries)

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted October 03 2007 - 02:06 AM

"Father Dowling Mysteries" lasted for three seasons, and you also got the pilot telefilm "Fatal Confession" that premiered in '87.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   JeffO

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted October 03 2007 - 07:54 AM

Chris, you are correct about Father Dowling lasting three seasons. I looked it up on TV.com, which showed two short seasons and one longer season, for fortysome episodes, which is why I figured two seasons. I'm guessing they would lump the first two seasons together for one release.
TV DVDs wanted: TJ Hooker (seasons 3-5), The Fall Guy (Seasons 2-5), Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Father Dowling Mysteries, Queen of Swords, Smurfs, and Charlemagne (1994 TV miniseries)

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,315 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 06:57 AM

Here's another vote for a "Father Dowling" DVD release, the show appeals to the same mystery crowd into "Murder, She Wrote", and that's a big seller (for Universal). Besides, Tracy's one hot nun.

Posted Image

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 06:04 AM

There's now a sign-up page on Amazon.com for "Father Dowling Mysteries" (though nothing about a forthcoming DVD release).

Amazon.com: The Father Dowling Mysteries: DVD: Tom Bosley

Edit: I just went and added Tracy Nelson, James Stephens, and Mary Wickes to the "update product info". I also corrected the name and the year. Hopefully, they'll make these changes shortly.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,157 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 12:11 PM

Well, four years after the last post in this thread it will finally come! http://www.tvshowson...-Season-1/16233

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,580 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P 

Well, four years after the last post in this thread it will finally come!
http://www.tvshowson...-Season-1/16233

Yep!  This is one I'll definitely be picking up.  I've always enjoyed "mysteries" of any nature, and this was one of the few late 80's/early 90's series I really enjoyed.

Gary "hope we get all 3 seasons" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 01:15 PM

Great News! Posted Image

This is one of my favourite series of the 80s and I will definitely be picking this up, hopefully its not priced too high since it only contains 7 episodes.  I honestly did not think this show would see the light of day on DVD but I guess this proves that anything is possible.  Disappointing to see that CBS isn't combining the first two seasons together as they were both short seasons (20 episodes total)- I guess they want to stretch it out and get more $$ out of people. Posted Image

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,580 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVonDVDJunkie05 

Great News! Posted Image

This is one of my favourite series of the 80s and I will definitely be picking this up, hopefully its not priced too high since it only contains 7 episodes.  I honestly did not think this show would see the light of day on DVD but I guess this proves that anything is possible.  Disappointing to see that CBS isn't combining the first two seasons together as they were both short seasons (20 episodes total)- I guess they want to stretch it out and get more $$ out of people. Posted Image

You're absolutely right about the shortened season issue.  This is typical of CBS though.  As long as they get all three seasons out I'll be okay with it.  Not thrilled, but okay.

Gary "I also never thought we'd see this one" O.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   JeffO

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted November 22 2011 - 03:14 AM

Wow, I never thought this would be coming out. Definitely a must buy for me. I have to say that I went through a lull of now having not much to buy, but in the last 6-12 months, I've been getting a lot of new things....more Bonanza, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, and now Father Dowling. Hoping they keep the price under $30 to encourage people to buy it. If they overprice it, I have a feeling that it will be one and done.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted November 22 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hoping they keep the price under $30 to encourage people to buy it. If they overprice it, I have a feeling that it will be one and done.

This is my feeling as well, it will be priced too high and thus sales will be low.  This is also the reason I was hoping they would combine the first two seasons together.  I think it should be under $20, there is no way I am paying more then that for 7 episodes.

I wonder if they are releasing season 1 on its own as a test to see how it sells?!

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,320 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 08:28 AM

$28.99 MSRP, currently $20.99 at Amazon.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,157 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 02:03 PM

And S2 is announced for July 10! Nice to see CBS/Paramount fast-track this title out. http://www.tvshowson...-Season-2/16819

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,580 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P 

And S2 is announced for July 10! Nice to see CBS/Paramount fast-track this title out.
http://www.tvshowson...-Season-2/16819

While I am disappointed in CBS for all but abandoning their b/w material, this is a color series I'm very happy to see them continue.  Hope we see S3 by the end of the year to finish it up.

Gary "that last season has a nice little Christmas episode in it so it's something I'd like to see released eventually" O.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted May 01 2012 - 10:55 AM

Remember Father Dowling Mysteries being shown on ITV back in the late 80's/early 90's either on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. The first season is getting a Region 2 release on Monday 18th June, but not from Revelation Films (who have released and are releasing some CBS/P shows). Instead it's being released by Acorn Media. Front cover artwork is up on the Amazon UK listing page for the set (a new listing was added to the BBFC's website for the set last Wednesday), with 'Father Dowling Investigates' on the front cover artwork.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted November 10 2013 - 03:01 AM

Matlock complete series is bundled at Amazon for one of their "Deals of the Day" sales at $110.49 here

Edited by Jeff Willis, November 10 2013 - 03:07 AM.

• Gary OS likes this

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted November 10 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, Jeff! I've held off buying the series, waiting for prices to eventually go down. So this bundle deal sounds great. (Even if a complete set is released someday, I'm guessing there won't be any additional remastering or special features, so I may as well get the bundle.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users