-

Photo

SLEEPING BEAUTY the next Platinum Edition? WHY?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,156 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 03:28 AM

I don't get it. This film was issued only a few years ago as a splendid DVD 2-disc special edition. Yet, PINOCCHIO hasn't had any sort of special edition at all, and its last release was wa-y-y before SLEEPING BEAUTY. What's up with that? I want PINOCCHIO, damn it!

#2 of 36 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,266 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 02 2007 - 03:34 AM

Actually, the next Platinum Edition is going to be 101 DALMATIANS in the spring of 2008. SLEEPING BEAUTY arrives in the fall of 2008.

Many people were very dissatisfied with the picture quality of SLEEPING BEAUTY, so comparing what comes late next year to what we already have should be interesting.

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 04:12 AM

Dick,

I was wondering the same thing (why Sleeping Beauty before Pinnocchio?). The only thought I had is that maybe they were looking for a tie in with the BluRay release of Sleeping Beauty.

-Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,156 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 04:24 AM

Yeah, I misspoke. I knew 101 DALMATIANS was next. But I still find it absurd that another special ed. of S.B. is preceding any new edition of PINOCCHIO.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,008 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 02 2007 - 04:54 AM

Maybe they're doing a full blown restoration and it's not going to make it by October 2008.

Or maybe they want to wait until the HD market grows a little more and make Pinnochio the first Disney classic that comes out on Blu-Ray and SD at the same time.

Granted, those are nothing more than guesses and could be a million miles off the mark.

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,222 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 02 2007 - 04:56 AM

Does the sequence of cigar smoking in Pinocchio conflict with the studio's new anti-smoking rule, or are "legacy" titles exempt?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 05:09 AM

PINOCCHIO had a special edition reissue on DVD in 2003 everywhere except in the US using a new Lowry digitally restored master. It's out-of-print now, and looked quite different than the previous 2 video transfers released on this shore.

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,070 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted October 02 2007 - 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Does the sequence of cigar smoking in Pinocchio conflict with the studio's new anti-smoking rule, or are "legacy" titles exempt?
As long as the actual long term health effects of smoking are dramatized (the surgeon general says it will turn you into a jackass), I suppose it is okay. Posted Image

More seriously, I'm pretty sure the recent announcement was about new productions, but they have censored titles in the past with "Gaucho" Goofy and Pecos Bill smoking.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,419 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 02 2007 - 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH.
Many people were very dissatisfied with the picture quality of SLEEPING BEAUTY, so comparing what comes late next year to what we already have should be interesting.

Gosh. If that was true, I'd think we'd be getting a new Beauty and the Beast before they even consider any other titles! I've got a small HD screen and even I see all the mosquito noise and red bleeding on that title. B&tB is one of my favorite titles and yet I consider it one of the worst looking DVDs in my collection.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Roy Batty

Roy Batty

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 09:41 AM

Just say it with me:

We... NEED... PINOCCHIO!!!!

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   donnie_d

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 12:44 PM

let's call the white house...

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Bo_Darville

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 12:06 AM

plenty of counterfeit copies of both to be had on ebay

"new" "unopened" "still in wrapper" Posted Image

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,900 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 05:56 AM

I am sure it has a lot to do with "Princesses". Princess characters are huge among little girls. And they and their parents spend lots of money.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,378 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 06:36 AM

What was the basic problem with the previous Sleeping Beauty release? It was satisfactory to me, but was there an aspect ratio problem, or what?

As for Pinocchio's cigar, I do not believe that even Disney's dumb enough to cut a whole minute out of one of their biggest classics. They didn't cut the Catepillar's hookah out of Alice in Wonderland, now did they?

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,222 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 04 2007 - 08:04 AM

The last Alice release was in 2004, but once it comes to Blu-Ray I'll have my fingers crossed that it remains intact.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,121 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
What was the basic problem with the previous Sleeping Beauty release? It was satisfactory to me, but was there an aspect ratio problem, or what?
There was an outcry over the film being misframed but it was mostly from people who have no idea what they're talking about as the framing is identical to the 1997 laser of the film.

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted October 05 2007 - 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
There was an outcry over the film being misframed but it was mostly from people who have no idea what they're talking about as the framing is identical to the 1997 laser of the film.

Thanks, but I think I'll consult actual experts in such matters:

"This also appears to have been produced from a 35mm scope element which has been poorly cropped vertically, as the bottom of the image is missing." (Robert Harris, 9/4/03)

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=141698

http://www.hometheat....ing beauty dvd

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 05 2007 - 01:51 AM

Exactly. Sleeping Beauty was shot in Technirama 70, which has a 2.21:1 ratio. 35mm scope typically has an A/R of 2.35:1-2.40:1. Also, the current disc exhibits some pretty hideous ringing, although it's no worse than other Disney titles from the same period.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,121 posts

Posted October 05 2007 - 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
Exactly. Sleeping Beauty was shot in Technirama 70, which has a 2.21:1 ratio. 35mm scope typically has an A/R of 2.35:1-2.40:1. Also, the current disc exhibits some pretty hideous ringing, although it's no worse than other Disney titles from the same period.
NO! NO! NO!

Technirama was always a 35mm process that used a VistaVision-style 8 perf printing format with the addition of an anamorphic lens. In neg form the film has a ratio of 2.25:1 which is roughly half way between conventional 35 and 70mm gauges. This middle of the road aspect ratio combined with the double size neg is what made the process become so popular for adapting to 70mm. Now assuming Disney went back to the original neg of the film they would have to use 8-perf 35mm since thats what it was made on, not 65mm.

As for cropping on the bottom, I don't see it and as said cropping is visible on the 1997 laserdisc transfer it might be here to stay.

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,378 posts

Posted October 05 2007 - 05:39 AM

I checked the SB dvd again; I don't know exactly what's going on, but there is something odd about the framing. I just can't figure it out though--it looks ok, but it looks wrong too. There's nothing to do but go forward. Disney needs to do a real restoration on the film. Go back to the source elements, or forget it. I have little faith, seeing as how they've botched every "restoration" they've done on their animated features for dvd over the past 2 or 3 years. The Little Mermaid is a shameless mess, and I hear people wailing over this week's release of the Jungle Book as well. Doesn't matter--I have stopped buying Disney dvds on SD until they start taking themselves more seriously. And to hammer the final nail--Disney really should be the world leader in terms of innovation in film restoration. Keep in mind that Disney created or improved upon a lot of film processes that are still used today. For them to release sh*t like "the Little Mermaid" on its recent dvd and act like it's the second coming is a big slap in the face to the company's founder.

If they're going to release Sleeping Beauty again, so soon after the last release, then it's going to have to be perfect this time.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow