Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Devil and the White City: News or discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 03:52 PM

My wife just finished this popular book, she even added a trip to Chicago to sight see afterward. For those unfamiliar it's about the 1893 Chicago's World's Fair and the person some consider the first serial killer in the US.

Apparently Depp is signed on to be the killer and Universal has the project. Has anyone heard much about this production, where it's at, etc?

edit: Paramount has it, not Universal.

From Variety back in FEB:
Quote:
Paramount Pictures has once again boarded the bigscreen adaptation of Erik Larson's bestselling tome "The Devil in the White City," a project previously coveted by producing partners Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner.

Par reacquired the film rights to the book last month after being approached by producers Michael Shamberg and Stacey Sher, whose shingle Double Feature Films has a new first-look deal with the studio.

Larson's nonfiction book, set against the backdrop of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, tells the intertwining stories of fair architect Daniel H. Burnham and serial killer H.H. Holmes, who used a hotel he built near the fairgrounds to lure his victims.

Cruise/Wagner Prods. scooped up rights to "White City" in 2003 through the shingle's deal with Par, but the option lapsed in 2004.
http://www.variety.c....goryid=13&cs=1

#2 of 5 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 03:56 PM

I read the book a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. If done properly (Depp's involvement a definite plus) this could be an intriguing movie.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#3 of 5 L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 07:18 PM

#4 of 5 mzmartipants

mzmartipants

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 15 2007 - 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Paxton
My wife just finished this popular book, she even added a trip to Chicago to sight see afterward. For those unfamiliar it's about the 1893 Chicago's World's Fair and the person some consider the first serial killer in the US.

An acquaintance of mine lives on the property where Howard Pitezel died. You can read about it at:
holmesinirvington.com

I'm sure the movie will be good on its own, but even better knowing what I do of the house and history.

#5 of 5 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 17 2007 - 11:01 AM

I never read the this book, after being blown away by Harold Schectors telling previously. Schectors book would make for a truly frightening and disturbing film.

I'm not sure about Depp as he's gotten a little showey in his acting as of late. Someone more subdued like Ed Norton of John c. Reilly would be good.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

Forum Nav Content I Follow