What's new

Pushing Daisies Season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, here it comes. The reviews have all been enthusiastically favorable; the promos look bizarre, but intriguing. We will see what we will see--

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I saw this weeks ago.

And it is my new favorite show.

I fell in love with this right away.
Such superb storytelling.
Wonderful characters.
Colorful, imaginative, dark and wonderful.
Full of creativeness and life.

Molly Shannon will be in a few episodes.
Paul Rubens(Pee-Wee Herman) is reportedly going to be in a recurring role as a traveling salesman for anti-depressants

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Like every Bryan Fuller series, there has been lots of behind the scenes drama during the production. I'm betting that this one will, like his previous efforts, be more than worth an hour of my time each week.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A month ago, USA TODAY released their TV top 10 picks
for 2007.

At the top of that list was Pushing Daisies.

USA TODAY says "It may be the best pilot since Lost, the
kind of show that revives your faith in network TV.

I'll be tuned in! Hope we picked a winner here!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
There are two words in the pilot that I saw, and I'm curious to know if ABC(Disney) will let them air it in Primetime.

The two words are Bitch and masturbation.

I can see Bitch getting by, but not masturbation

Seeing how heavy Who's Line is it Anyway? gets edited.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I just recently read this is a Bryan Fuller creation. For that reason I will be watching this show. Wonderfalls was one of the best shows that no one got a chance to see until it came out on DVD.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I am quite impressed with Bryan's work. From Wonderfalls, Heroes, Dead Like Me and now this wonderful pilot of Pushing Daisies.
I hope people give this show a chance since it doesn't fit in to the cookie cutter sitcom template.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
One important difference is that 'Whose Line' is an improvised show and can't be reviewed for content until after it's recorded, where 'Pushing Daisies' is scripted and the network approves the script before the pilot is even filmed. So my bet is that both words will be intact.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Really looking forward to this. Even more since I listened to an interview of Bryan Fuller and Barry Sonnenfeld on NPR recently.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Pushing Daisies is very ambitious and looks beautiful but i'm not so sure this crime and proceedural show minded society is ready for a show quite like it.

Time will tell.

As for me i'll need time with this one, to me the show seemed like the offspring of Baz Lurhman, Tim Burton and the Cohen brothers, in fact if this show were a movie i'm sure of the following...

It would look like a stop-motion Tim Burton movie with Johnny Depp as 'Ned' and Helena Bonham Carter as 'Chuck', it may feature musical numbers and it would feature a score by Danny Elfman.

Very surreal, whimsical and dream-like show and i'm afraid it may prove to be it's undoing in the long run but like I said we shall see. I keep bringing up Burton because he is single handedly responsable for ruining my perspective when it comes to this sort of fanciful storytelling, his dark and twisted sensabilities have tainted my view of such productions, when I see sets and environments as on display here they aren't sweet or cute to me, they're actually a little sinister and I always feel that something dark lurks just under the surface and that's all thanks to Tim Burton.

I wanted to really like it but I need to see more before commiting myself to it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The whimsical qualities of this show is probably going to be a tough sell to the general TV viewing public. But it does have a charm about it.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Show has a lot of charm. But with it already gettting buzz about going way overbudget and having numerous behind-the-scenes changes, I worry about how this show will hold out. Ron's note about how well thought of this show is reminds me of "Studio 60" No matter how good or well reviewed something may be, it's consistency and it's ability to hold ratings that matter. I enjoyed it, but I'm thinking this is going to be a show that will have a hard time finding die-hard viewers who will drive ratings.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
It was kinda weird. And depressing. And then weird again.

I don't know how I truly feel about the pie-let. I liked the narration. The sets were amazing. But, the pieman was so depressing. Mom died. Killed his loves father.

I may try another episode to see, but I really couldn't say that this is one I'll give much of a chance.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I liked it. A lot. I like the Tim Burton comparison (and was thinking the same thing while watching it), but I think it's actually better than a Tim Burton production. I always thought Burton was all style and no substance. This show actually has substance.

I think I could actually see mainstream America liking this show...the question is whether they'll actually ever watch it.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I thoroughly enjoyed the pilot (aka the "Pie-lette.") It was beautifully executed on every level, IMO!

I am not sure how Daisies will play on a weekly basis, but I think the fact that it is an ABC show certainly can't hurt. The network has demonstrated that it knows how to make "offbeat" work and appeal to a mass audience year after year (Desperate Housewives.) Even when ABC's successes have been more short-term (Twin Peaks, Batman) they still succeed in making a large initial splash with unconventional programming. I fear this may prove to be the case for Pushing Daisies too, but I for one, will enjoy the ride while it lasts!

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
LOVE, LOVE, LOVED IT!

This show definitely had a Tim Burton feel to it, which is why I probably loved it so much. The story was fantastic in every way possible. I can see this show becoming my favorite.

I wasn't able to watch it when it aired (working), but I came home and yes, I watched it twice. I don't get too excited over pilots, but this one just had me glued to my seat wanting to know more.

Can anyone tell me if one of the aunts was infact Audrey from Little Shop of Horrors?

Cannot wait til next weeks episode!

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
Gets two thumbs up from me and the wife. They did such a good job with the back story in this episode it opens up a whole new world for them to play in.

Can't wait till next week!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks