What's new

Are you buying Leopard? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's October and Leopard (OS X 10.5) is due this month (though no release date has been given yet). What are your plans for upgrading?

- Buy date of release.
- Buy within the month.
- Wait a year.
- Never. I hate spots.
- I run Windows, what am I doing this thread?

I'll buy it almost certainly within a month of release, and hopefully within a week. I'll get the Family pack and upgrade my machine as soon as I can get backups done. My wife's machine will be later this Fall, to not conflict with current (and hopeful) freelance work.

Here's hoping I'm seeing spots sooner than later! :)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably end up buying it if and when enough people complain... I maintain a few ports of unix software.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I typically wait for the second round, as in 10.5.2 to upgrade.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I wait a few weeks checking any reviews, comments, bug complaints I can run accross.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Day And Date for me always. On many occasions I have a GM installed before hand.
Apple's candidate builds are light years ahead of Windows finals as far as stability is concerned. The current 559 has only 2 known issues. HP printers and archive install are non issues here.

To me, the significant shift in this release is it's lack of major changes in the system. Time machine is interesting, but will also create quite a bit of overhead in the system and drive space if it runs for a given length of time. A normal backup routine would negate using it at all for many users.

The rest is gloss, and a few much needed improvements to Mail and the Safari. Any true performance boost requires a very new machine, and more memory - always more memory.

You could view Apple as turning away from the system for i products, or perhaps Tiger is so strong, there's little to do but update and shine. Either way, the excitement for this release is the lowest I can remember.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Since the Boot Camp beta expires when Leopard is released, anyone who wants to continue using it must upgrade.

CJ

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How owuld that work? Leopard release date can't be pre-programmed into my BootCamp setup. Will Apple send a poison pill in a 10.4.11 system update?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Well I probably would have bought it within a few weeks of release but I just sold my PowerBook so I am Mac-less.

I plan on buying a new Mac after MacWorld SF but by then I am sure all hardware will be shipping with 10.5.

-Keith

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It has been on preorder for 2 months now.

MacZone beat out everyone by $50 or more.

Went for the family pack, though knowing Apple, there will
probably be no registration number on the single pack that
allows installation on multiple machines. Give me kudos for
having some software morals. :)

ErichH

Screenwriter

Ron, you have fine morals. Yet again, there will be no license on retail system software, but there's nothing wrong with supporting Apple.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
The only thing that won't work anymore is creating a bootcamp partition and burning the CD with drivers. Booting into Windows should not be affected, AFAIK.

-Christian

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any particular feature you're most looking forward to in Leopard? I'm most interested in Time Machine. I'll also be able to upgrade my wife's system from 10.3, giving her access to the Airport Extreme-connected hard drive.

I'm on the fence about buying an external monitor (for my MBP). If Leopard introduces Resolution Independence, that would be a strong push towards a high-resolution monitor.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's one of those tools that's so neat looking, I wish I had reason to use it :) (But virtual desktops never really helped me). How do you think you'll use it? What sort of projects do you have going concurrently?

Maybe I need a "practice" space, so I don't go online instead of practicing my presentation ...

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I just returned my MBP to Amazon as the Superdrive was acting a little wonky, so I'm curious how this will work out with Leopards release being just around the corner. I hear they have a great return policy (full refund usually with no restocking fee), and the refund will probably take a few weeks in which I'll then buy another one from them. Hopefully this one will have Leopard preinstalled on it, or perhaps they'll throw the discs in the box (if it's an earlier week build).

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
A lot of developers are embracing the new APIs like Core Animation, and using Objective-C 2.0. So there will be many Leopard-only apps, or the new versions will require Leopard.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I will buy Leopard as soon as Pro Tools 7.3 is confirmed to work with it. This is too important a program for me to upgrade prior to knowing if it works or not.

I presume that Adobe CS3 Design Premium will work fine, and so will iLife and iWork 08.

My most anticipated feature for Leopard? The one that was announced but alarmingly hasn't shown up on any of the beta builds: resolution independence. Yes I'm a big font geek and want them to look the best they can on my Macbook Pro display.

Past that: Bootcamp (yes I do have the Beta but it will be nice to have the official release version), Time Machine (already know which external HD I'm purchasing for it), Stacks, the video effects of iChat, improvements to DVD Player (having used WinDVD and PowerDVD, I hope it begins to close the gap).

Usually it takes Digidesign a few weeks after release to sign off on the latest new build for OSX (i.e. 10.4.9, 10.4.10), but I hear they are already working on Leopard and should know fairly soon after release if all is good on the Pro Tools front.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks