-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Are you buying Leopard?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#1 of 86 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,361 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 01 2007 - 08:22 AM

It's October and Leopard (OS X 10.5) is due this month (though no release date has been given yet). What are your plans for upgrading?

- Buy date of release.
- Buy within the month.
- Wait a year.
- Never. I hate spots.
- I run Windows, what am I doing this thread?

I'll buy it almost certainly within a month of release, and hopefully within a week. I'll get the Family pack and upgrade my machine as soon as I can get backups done. My wife's machine will be later this Fall, to not conflict with current (and hopeful) freelance work.

Here's hoping I'm seeing spots sooner than later! Posted Image

#2 of 86 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 08:42 AM

I'll probably end up buying it if and when enough people complain... I maintain a few ports of unix software.

#3 of 86 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,514 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 10:27 AM

I typically wait for the second round, as in 10.5.2 to upgrade.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#4 of 86 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,466 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 10:42 AM

Yes and probably pretty soon after its release.

#5 of 86 Daryl L

Daryl L

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 10:52 AM

I wait a few weeks checking any reviews, comments, bug complaints I can run accross.
Daryl L 
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
15" LED Glossy Widescreen
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB GDDR3 Vram

#6 of 86 Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 11:51 AM

I'll grab it as soon as I can...which will likely be a few weeks after release.

#7 of 86 ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 12:19 PM

Day And Date for me always. On many occasions I have a GM installed before hand.
Apple's candidate builds are light years ahead of Windows finals as far as stability is concerned. The current 559 has only 2 known issues. HP printers and archive install are non issues here.

To me, the significant shift in this release is it's lack of major changes in the system. Time machine is interesting, but will also create quite a bit of overhead in the system and drive space if it runs for a given length of time. A normal backup routine would negate using it at all for many users.

The rest is gloss, and a few much needed improvements to Mail and the Safari. Any true performance boost requires a very new machine, and more memory - always more memory.

You could view Apple as turning away from the system for i products, or perhaps Tiger is so strong, there's little to do but update and shine. Either way, the excitement for this release is the lowest I can remember.

#8 of 86 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 12:48 PM

Since the Boot Camp beta expires when Leopard is released, anyone who wants to continue using it must upgrade.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#9 of 86 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,361 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichH
Time machine is interesting, but will also create quite a bit of overhead in the system and drive space if it runs for a given length of time. A normal backup routine would negate using it at all for many users.
That's interesting. My assumed plan was to use Time Machine for my normal backup routine.

Quote:
Since the Boot Camp beta expires when Leopard is released, anyone who wants to continue using it must upgrade.
How owuld that work? Leopard release date can't be pre-programmed into my BootCamp setup. Will Apple send a poison pill in a 10.4.11 system update?

#10 of 86 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,009 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted October 01 2007 - 02:36 PM

Well I probably would have bought it within a few weeks of release but I just sold my PowerBook so I am Mac-less.

I plan on buying a new Mac after MacWorld SF but by then I am sure all hardware will be shipping with 10.5.

-Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#11 of 86 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,314 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 09:00 PM

It has been on preorder for 2 months now.

MacZone beat out everyone by $50 or more.

Went for the family pack, though knowing Apple, there will
probably be no registration number on the single pack that
allows installation on multiple machines. Give me kudos for
having some software morals. Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#12 of 86 ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
It has been on preorder for 2 months now.

MacZone beat out everyone by $50 or more.

Went for the family pack, though knowing Apple, there will
probably be no registration number on the single pack that
allows installation on multiple machines. Give me kudos for
having some software morals. Posted Image

Ron, you have fine morals. Yet again, there will be no license on retail system software, but there's nothing wrong with supporting Apple.

#13 of 86 Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ Reynolds
The only thing that won't work anymore is creating a bootcamp partition and burning the CD with drivers. Booting into Windows should not be affected, AFAIK.

-Christian
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

#14 of 86 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Behrens
The only thing that won't work anymore is creating a bootcamp partition and burning the CD with drivers. Booting into Windows should not be affected, AFAIK.

-Christian
Hmm, then I received incorrect information. Guess I didn't think about it either.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#15 of 86 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,361 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 08:14 AM

Any particular feature you're most looking forward to in Leopard? I'm most interested in Time Machine. I'll also be able to upgrade my wife's system from 10.3, giving her access to the Airport Extreme-connected hard drive.

I'm on the fence about buying an external monitor (for my MBP). If Leopard introduces Resolution Independence, that would be a strong push towards a high-resolution monitor.

#16 of 86 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 12:06 PM

I'm really looking forward to Spaces. Even with a 24" monitor, I find I don't have enough desktop space.

CJ

#17 of 86 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,361 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 01:08 PM

That's one of those tools that's so neat looking, I wish I had reason to use it Posted Image (But virtual desktops never really helped me). How do you think you'll use it? What sort of projects do you have going concurrently?

Maybe I need a "practice" space, so I don't go online instead of practicing my presentation ...

#18 of 86 Mike Heenan

Mike Heenan

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 01:13 PM

I just returned my MBP to Amazon as the Superdrive was acting a little wonky, so I'm curious how this will work out with Leopards release being just around the corner. I hear they have a great return policy (full refund usually with no restocking fee), and the refund will probably take a few weeks in which I'll then buy another one from them. Hopefully this one will have Leopard preinstalled on it, or perhaps they'll throw the discs in the box (if it's an earlier week build).

#19 of 86 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 06:09 PM

Quote:
the significant shift in this release is it's lack of major changes in the system
A lot of developers are embracing the new APIs like Core Animation, and using Objective-C 2.0. So there will be many Leopard-only apps, or the new versions will require Leopard.

#20 of 86 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,579 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 07:34 PM

I will buy Leopard as soon as Pro Tools 7.3 is confirmed to work with it. This is too important a program for me to upgrade prior to knowing if it works or not.

I presume that Adobe CS3 Design Premium will work fine, and so will iLife and iWork 08.

My most anticipated feature for Leopard? The one that was announced but alarmingly hasn't shown up on any of the beta builds: resolution independence. Yes I'm a big font geek and want them to look the best they can on my Macbook Pro display.

Past that: Bootcamp (yes I do have the Beta but it will be nice to have the official release version), Time Machine (already know which external HD I'm purchasing for it), Stacks, the video effects of iChat, improvements to DVD Player (having used WinDVD and PowerDVD, I hope it begins to close the gap).

Usually it takes Digidesign a few weeks after release to sign off on the latest new build for OSX (i.e. 10.4.9, 10.4.10), but I hear they are already working on Leopard and should know fairly soon after release if all is good on the Pro Tools front.

Back to Apple and Macintosh

Forum Nav Content I Follow